Jump to content

LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, kontakt said:

It's called QX1000

That's actually the model number, not the codename.  The codename for Pro¹ appears to be T5.  For reference, PQ is asanti and z2f is nash.  maserati certainly the coolest of the four, but at least ours isn't bacon.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

1 hour ago, kontakt said:

It's called QX1000

Yes the official code name is QX1000. And according to lineage convention, that should be its name. But that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue very smoothly. So I have been using pro1 for the device name. Doesn't really matter though, it's just a name.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Craig said:

That's actually the model number, not the codename.  The codename for Pro¹ appears to be T5.  For reference, PQ is asanti and z2f is nash.  maserati certainly the coolest of the four, but at least ours isn't bacon.

T5 was the code name until they changed it for Google certification. I'm not sure why they had to change it but it did officially change.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I've got the EDL tool working on all three platforms now. VirtualBox seems to be causing some issues with USB passthru so I'll have to test on bare metal. I hope to get that done tonight or in the morning. Then I'll be back on the lineage build. The next change, I think, needs to be to build and install the vendor partition. That's probably going to be a fair bit of work. I hope it won't take more than a day or two.

  • Thanks 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Making a working vendor image is proving to be quite the adventure.  But! ... I just got a good boot with a hacked up vendor image. 🙂 So the next step is to retrace my steps and figure out how to translate my hacks into a working build.  I may be able to get that done tomorrow, but I'm not sure.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, it just occurred to me that the same issues I'm having with the vendor image are probably causing TWRP data decrypt to fail. So I'm pretty confident that once the vendor image works, I can build a TWRP with working data decrypt.

 

Edited by tdm
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW (please tell me if this goes too far off-topic), it seems that full disk encryption is - cryptographically speaking - somewhat difficult and probably unsafer than just encrypting a file in its entirety: https://sockpuppet.org/blog/2014/04/30/you-dont-want-xts/

As I understand it, the problem arises from FDE having to find a compromise between a lot of properties, in particular that every sector on a disk may be accessed at any time. So, in theory file-based encryption would be better - if it would work on the whole file as opposed to on blocks. It seems though that Linux' FBE is doing just that - files are encrypted blockwise with XTS again (at least according to https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AES-128-CBC-Fscrypt).

So, if FBE on Linux would ever switch to encrypting files in their entirety, it would probably be somwhat more secure than FDE. But this is probably not going to happen, there will be reasons why fscrypt is doing (disk-)block encryption again (probably performance). But that does mean that if you want really good encryption, have your app encrypt it's files whole (and have the app bug free).

EDIT: Just to clarify, we are talking about very high standars now, such as the encryption being resilient against an attacker that could get access to the encrypted contents multiple times, etc. Both FBE and FDE as they are used today are still good against someone who gets hold of your phone after you lose it or forcibly takes the phone from you and is not able to dump the RAM contents of the still running phone.

Edit 2: The kernel documentation (https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/filesystems/fscrypt.html) confirms this, and puts it way better than i did:

Quote

fscrypt is not guaranteed to protect confidentiality or authenticity if an attacker is able to manipulate the filesystem offline prior to an authorized user later accessing the filesystem.

 

Edited by Gigadoc2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update...

 

I had two weeks off for the holidays and I am back this week.

 

I've experimented with building a vendor image but that looks like it will take a fair amount of time.  So next I looked at a method of overlaying changes over the vendor files instead of building the entire vendor image.  This is easier and significantly reduces the amount of data transfer (both from github to me and from my website to you) so I will probably continue down that path for the official Lineage release.

 

But for now, I'm pretty tired of playing with vendor files so I'm going to start fixing issues that have been raised on github.  First up is voice calls (hey, it's a phone, so it should do phone stuff, right?)  I hope to get that fixed tomorrow.

 

  • Thanks 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, silversolver said:

@tdm do you expect to have VoLTE working in your initial phone-working release? I will be unable to use LOS on my device otherwise, so may have to wait to install it otherwise.

I don't use VoLTE, so I'll need others to test. But I'll do my best to make it work.

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mcdinner said:

I have problems with Bluetooth audio devices. After connecting there is no audio and volume control. 
I opened a bug and can send you more information if you need.

Reproduced here, thanks for the report.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've spent the better part of a day trying to figure out what's wrong with voice calls.  I can't see anything wrong.

 

I've got reports from several people that voice calls work fine on Lineage.  The one person that reported an issue on github says that it doesn't work on either stock or Lineage, so that's not a Lineage specific issue.

 

My experience is that  I can get SMS and data, but no voice calls, both on Lineage and on stock.  I have to assume this has something to do with my carrier and the IMEI, because there really isn't anything else that I can see that would affect it.  I'll be contacting my carrier to see what's going on.  But for now I'm going to table this issue and move on.

 

If anyone is able to make voice calls on stock but not on Lineage, please let me know.

 

  • Thanks 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 3:57 PM, tdm said:

So I've spent the better part of a day trying to figure out what's wrong with voice calls.  I can't see anything wrong.

 

I've got reports from several people that voice calls work fine on Lineage.  The one person that reported an issue on github says that it doesn't work on either stock or Lineage, so that's not a Lineage specific issue.

 

My experience is that  I can get SMS and data, but no voice calls, both on Lineage and on stock.  I have to assume this has something to do with my carrier and the IMEI, because there really isn't anything else that I can see that would affect it.  I'll be contacting my carrier to see what's going on.  But for now I'm going to table this issue and move on.

 

If anyone is able to make voice calls on stock but not on Lineage, please let me know.

 

If your carrier is Verizon, it requires some fiddling. Check the network compatibility thread for the short answer, and the verizon thread for the TL;DR version. :) If it's not Verizon, I'd love to know what it is. There is a report of Australian carriers doing something unusual that causes the original stock firmware to not work but the OTA updates resolve that. LOS at last check did not work for this person.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silversolver said:

There is a report of Australian carriers doing something unusual that causes the original stock firmware to not work but the OTA updates resolve that. LOS at last check did not work for this person

That is relevant info.

But do you even realize the guy you're quoting is LOS developer?  Did you notice the thread you're posting in?

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Craig said:

That is relevant info.

But do you even realize the guy you're quoting is LOS developer?  Did you notice the thread you're posting in?

Uh, yes? Just because he's a Lineage developer doesn't mean he's read virtually everything in this forum like I, who am not a LOS developer, and apparently have no life, have. It seemed like useful and "relevant knowledge" (uh-oh, that's adware LOL) that he might not have noticed.

Why did you think I didn't know whom I was addressing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, silversolver said:

If your carrier is Verizon, it requires some fiddling. Check the network compatibility thread for the short answer, and the verizon thread for the TL;DR version. 🙂 If it's not Verizon, I'd love to know what it is. There is a report of Australian carriers doing something unusual that causes the original stock firmware to not work but the OTA updates resolve that. LOS at last check did not work for this person.

It's Pure Talk USA, an AT&T MVNO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms