Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fxtec5

Alternative to wireless charging

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Hook said:

Back on magnetic cables, this arrived yesterday.

Nice.

I'm (among other cables) still awaiting this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362332003394

And I hope it will be slightly more compact. The images/rendering are not that clear on the size, but it looks very compact.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Nice.

I'm (among other cables) still awaiting this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362332003394

And I hope it will be slightly more compact. The images/rendering are not that clear on the size, but it looks very compact.

Be nice if they made something like that for headphones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem with Indiegogo is I'm in dispute with them over a failed campaign. Lost over £200. 😠

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2020 at 8:23 AM, FlyingAntero said:

Sony and Apple are using "Adaptive Charging" technology and it is working very well on my Xperia XZ1 Compact. The phone will learn your usage over time and estimate the time you wake up. Also, you can turn it off (permanently or single day) any time you want. It would be great feature for Pro1 also.

xperia-xz1-08-e1j-battery-care-104e586fa

 

 

OnePlus will also add "Optimized Charging" feature:

What is Optimized Charging

The battery will be charged to 80% initially and suspend temporarily by using our “user sleep cycle detection” function. Your phone will start charging 100 minutes before your daily wake up time, first alarm or first event to 100% level.

This means it will stay at around 80% for most of the night, even though it is connected to the charger the whole time. The OnePlus will then finish charging and should hit 100% just as you take it off the charger to get on with your day. After a few weeks, it will learn that you consistently wake up and take your OnePlus off charge at 8 AM, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there apps around that enable adaptive charging?

I'm certain someone has created one for SailfishOS, whereby you set a max charge limit in settings and the phone stops charging at the defined level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MickH said:

Problem with Indiegogo is I'm in dispute with them over a failed campaign. Lost over £200. 😠

How is it even disputable? I always understood IGG to be an investment gamble, like the stock market. Am I misunderstanding something?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, silversolver said:

How is it even disputable? I always understood IGG to be an investment gamble, like the stock market. Am I misunderstanding something?

Same here I always thought that

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, _DW_ said:

Same here I always thought that

Yeah, we all understood that too. But when it became evident that the project had failed and the campaign owners had done a runner, leaving a mountain of un-assembled parts, Indiegogo kept the campaign open while people were still signing up and they continued taking their cut of the proceeds, it's still open now.
Some of the backers have managed to secure full refunds from Indiegogo, some are still fighting.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MickH said:

Yeah, we all understood that too. But when it became evident that the project had failed and the campaign owners had done a runner, leaving a mountain of un-assembled parts, Indiegogo kept the campaign open while people were still signing up and they continued taking their cut of the proceeds, it's still open now.
Some of the backers have managed to secure full refunds from Indiegogo, some are still fighting.

Ah that's different definitely!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MickH said:

Are there apps around that enable adaptive charging?

I'm certain someone has created one for SailfishOS, whereby you set a max charge limit in settings and the phone stops charging at the defined level.

I use "Battery Charge Limit" which does exactly what you wrote - limit the maximum charge to the percentage you set. That's not quite adaptive charging though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Different question... I read somewhere that the Pro1 will have changeable usb ports (like the Motorola G3 has). Is that the case?

Because if it is, you could build your own magnetic charger internally. It takes some effort but would theoretically be "forever". Of course, I would only risk this with an separate pcb since a couple of attempts would definitely fail.

If the Pro 1 takes much longer (I'm rooting for you, I'm sure you can offer us 1-2 more delays!), then I'll probably try it with my second Moto G3 with a display fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 8:20 AM, MickH said:

Are there apps around that enable adaptive charging?

I'm certain someone has created one for SailfishOS, whereby you set a max charge limit in settings and the phone stops charging at the defined level.

 

21 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

I use "Battery Charge Limit" which does exactly what you wrote - limit the maximum charge to the percentage you set. That's not quite adaptive charging though.

Can't find any "Battery Charge Limit" app for my Sailfish X. Or does it have another name?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Can't find any "Battery Charge Limit" app for my Sailfish X. Or does it have another name?

I only know "Battery Buddy" or "Battery notifier", but they can't interrupt charging process, only throw a notification to remind the user to unplug.
and there's "Charger control", but I don't really know that one.

Maybe you'd also like to have a look at the relevant discussion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 8:24 AM, MickH said:

Yeah, we all understood that too. But when it became evident that the project had failed and the campaign owners had done a runner, leaving a mountain of un-assembled parts, Indiegogo kept the campaign open while people were still signing up and they continued taking their cut of the proceeds, it's still open now.
Some of the backers have managed to secure full refunds from Indiegogo, some are still fighting.

Would it be bad business to say what the project is? It sounds like an opportunity for someone with the experience to swoop in and save the day, assuming that the unassembled parts actually do pertain to the device in question, and aren't an elaborate ruse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Breeze said:

 

Can't find any "Battery Charge Limit" app for my Sailfish X. Or does it have another name?

If it's not in Play Store, go here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/root-battery-charge-limit-t3557002/amp/

Could be that the device is not yet supported - if so, in the thread you also find a way to get it supported soon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Breeze said:

 

Can't find any "Battery Charge Limit" app for my Sailfish X. Or does it have another name?

Not sure, I'm sure it was discussed some time ago on Talk Maemo and someone said he would take a look at creating something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 10:08 AM, EskeRahn said:

Nice.

I'm (among other cables) still awaiting this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362332003394

And I hope it will be slightly more compact. The images/rendering are not that clear on the size, but it looks very compact.

Your link sent me looking for something like it in the US.  I found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4A-Magnetic-Type-C-Micro-USB-Charging-Cable-Charger-Adapter-for-Samsung-S8-LG/311833912361?var=611236730636

It is excellent and, yes it is pricier.  But seems to be reliably available as a common stock item from this seller with good ratings in Brooklyn, NY. Very well made, fits snugly in the port with completely rounded edges.  It's exactly the same size as the one I posted earlier but it fit's more snugly, leaving a little less neck exposed, and all edges are rounded and smooth.  Still the little bump over the back, but even with the raised part of the back, so it doesn't really touch down. 

This one appears to be as close to perfection as I can get. 😁 

bottom-2.jpg

fromback-2.jpg

fromfront-2.jpg

fromside-2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hook said:

Your link sent me looking for something like it in the US.  I found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4A-Magnetic-Type-C-Micro-USB-Charging-Cable-Charger-Adapter-for-Samsung-S8-LG/311833912361?var=611236730636

It is excellent and, yes it is pricier.  But seems to be reliably available as a common stock item from this seller with good ratings in Brooklyn, NY. Very well made, fits snugly in the port with completely rounded edges.  It's exactly the same size as the one I posted earlier but it fit's more snugly, leaving a little less neck exposed, and all edges are rounded and smooth.  Still the little bump over the back, but even with the raised part of the back, so it doesn't really touch down. 

This one appears to be as close to perfection as I can get. 😁

I got one similar looking to the one in your pictures. The one I linked seems more compact, without the white plastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

I got one similar looking to the one in your pictures. The one I linked seems more compact, without the white plastic.

Let me know if it is.  I suspect it's the same, but the critical dimension-- the height of the adapter-- is not one they give. For some reason, I couldn't find yours on US ebay before, but must have made a mistake because I found it now.  Trouble is, it is still shipping from China (but the shipping is free)... I prefer quick, free shipping from Brooklyn even though I pay more.  But if it really is smaller, I'll consider it.

Edited by Hook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hook said:

Let me know if it is.  I suspect it's the same, but the critical dimension-- the height of the adapter-- is not one they give. For some reason, I couldn't find yours on US ebay before, but must have made a mistake because I found it now.  Trouble is, it is still shipping from China (but the shipping is free)... I prefer quick, free shipping from Brooklyn even though I pay more.  But if it really is smaller, I'll consider it.

I have seen measurements on other pages indicating that it indeed is smaller (6.8mm+2mm). But that might not be correct (could be a charge only plug) and/or we are looking at optimistic renderings.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I have seen measurements on other pages indicating that it indeed is smaller (6.8mm+2mm). But that might not be correct (could be a charge only plug) and/or we are looking at optimistic renderings.

 

That 2mm is not the dimension I'm talking about.  I'm talking about the measure of from below the port to above the port (the short dimension, not the long one) as that determines if and by how much the adapter plate will extend past the back.  Mine appears to be 6mm whereas the side of the keyboard is just about 7mm in the same dimension. If I'm not bring clear, I will try to diagram it on one of my photos.

My adapter is 2mm on the dimension you referred to.  The 6,8mm may be correct, but I don't see it on that schematic.

Edited by Hook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hook said:

That 2mm is not the dimension I'm talking about.  I'm talking about the measure of from below the port to above the port (the short dimension, not the long one) as that determines if and by how much the adapter plate will extend past the back.  Mine appears to be 6mm whereas the side of the keyboard is just about 7mm in the same dimension. If I'm not bring clear, I will try to diagram it on one of my photos.

Ah! That height is not an issue on the flat ones. Only the round ones - At the least I have not seen any of the flat reached the desk.

What I'm talking about is how much it will protrude. It MIGHT be that this is identical to (or even worse than) what we would have if we removed the white piece of plastic of the ones we got. And that of course would not help at all (if anything making the plug easier to accidentally be pulled out, getting caught in something)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Ah! That height is not an issue on the flat ones. Only the round ones - At the least I have not seen any of the flat reached the desk.

What I'm talking about is how much it will protrude. It MIGHT be that this is identical to (or even worse than) what we would have if we removed the white piece of plastic of the ones we got. And that of course would not help at all (if anything making the plug easier to accidentally be pulled out, getting caught in something)

Yes, they don't reach the desk because although they stick just a hair beyond the back edge, the middle of the back is higher.  I thought you had found one that was less than 6mm.  What I relly like about this one I just got is that everything is smooth and rounded and it is unlikely that anything will catch it.  Further, it is rock solid stable once clicked in.  This is the first one I have found that didn't have a little play in the fit.  Let me know how your turns out when you get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hook said:

Yes, they don't reach the desk because although they stick just a hair beyond the back edge, the middle of the back is higher.  I thought you had found one that was less than 6mm.  What I relly like about this one I just got is that everything is smooth and rounded and it is unlikely that anything will catch it.  Further, it is rock solid stable once clicked in.  This is the first one I have found that didn't have a little play in the fit.  Let me know how your turns out when you get it.

This one is about 5.35mm in it self and Including the slightly sideways protruding plastic it is about 6.10mm, but you can cut that away, if you should prefer.

Leaving the plastic, you will have slightly over 1mm clearance under the plastic part

The female part that goes over the whole thing has an exterior thickness of 6.4mm, leaving a clearance of slightly under 1mm to the desk.

BUT this plug protrudes 4 to 5mm from the top to bottom, of the slanted end. And I hope to find something closer....

IMG_20200112_043723~01.jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms