Jump to content
Erik

On the production status

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes it is the same store with phone-sized phones. Some idiot somewhere decided that flagships had to be huge phablets, and phone-sized phones should have mediocre specs. It is only in Japan that Sharp and to some Extent Sony has tried to fight that. But the Sharp devices are not produced for the international market.

Remember the Xperia Ray? Now that was a nice form factor. If we are to go without  a qwery, that size was the best in my opinion. A sleek, thin and small, comfortable handset.

Too bad nobody makes them like that anymore. If there was a top-of-midrange handset like that today (Snapdragon 6xx, 2 or 3GB RAM, 64GB internal storage and microsd slot), it could well be my second phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hook said:

I really don't get this whole "mid-range" phone stuff.  Phones have hit the same technology innovation plateau that computers hit in 2005, such that Flagships up the gimmicks more than they up the innovation.  In 2019, a mid-range phone is fine, except most mid-range phones have 6xx Snapdragons rather than an 835 and underwhelming screens and minimum internal memory.  My wife's Pixel 2XL with the same SOC handles everything just fine.  And for the kinds of productivity which presumably would make a slider keyboard attractive, the specs on this baby are serious overkill. This is a phone that might get you through the next 10 years.  Support it and you may not have to wait that long for another. 😉

You make a very solid point and as the Pro1 would ultimately be a spec downgrade from my current phone and the pkb really being the only selling point for me, I come to the conclusion that I don't need a new phone and I guess I'll keep f(x)tec in mind in the future, but for now cancelling my order is the most logical step.

Cheers to everybody getting the Pro1, maybe one day down the road I will join you.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mcdinner said:

I don't think the E7 was hand assembled in Finland one by one. 😄

I have worked at a Nokia factory 8 years ago and the assembly was far from a fully automated process at the time. The mainboard manufacturing and testing and the final testing was mostly automated but that's about it. Most of the assembly was done by humans, a lot of them.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, PandaBearCorgi said:

You make a very solid point and as the Pro1 would ultimately be a spec downgrade from my current phone and the pkb really being the only selling point for me, I come to the conclusion that I don't need a new phone and I guess I'll keep f(x)tec in mind in the future, but for now cancelling my order is the most logical step.

Cheers to everybody getting the Pro1, maybe one day down the road I will join you.

But did you really have an order to cancel?  Only asking cause you joined a week ago and have 2 posts, neither one thrilled about the potential buy or experience.  If you just ordered recently, it's not like there's been a long wait so far either.  But yeah, if higher specs is what you want most from a phone and have that already, that's totally understandable.  What phone do you have out of curiosity?  Would have to be pretty new already I'm guessing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The communication style of F(x)tec is similar to some of our eager but naive junior engineers who try very hard to please. They spend a lot of hours fixing problems they didn't anticipate but say nothing about it at the time because they think they will be able to finish in time but they never do.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Siani_8 said:

But did you really have an order to cancel?  Only asking cause you joined a week ago and have 2 posts, neither one thrilled about the potential buy or experience.  If you just ordered recently, it's not like there's been a long wait so far either.  But yeah, if higher specs is what you want most from a phone and have that already, that's totally understandable.  What phone do you have out of curiosity?  Would have to be pretty new already I'm guessing?

the new forum is not old at all and didn't keep registration or number of post i think. they migh be there for a long time or not, i don't thing we can check that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, vlycop said:

the new forum is not old at all and didn't keep registration or number of post i think. they migh be there for a long time or not, i don't thing we can check that

Ah Roger that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I have worked at a Nokia factory 8 years ago and the assembly was far from a fully automated process at the time. The mainboard manufacturing and testing and the final testing was mostly automated but that's about it. Most of the assembly was done by humans, a lot of them.

Thank you for clarification!
Maybe that was the reason those phones were so durable 🙂 (ecept to E7 microUsb port which died 2 times on mine ;( )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mcdinner said:

Thank you for clarification!
Maybe that was the reason those phones were so durable 🙂 (ecept to E7 microUsb port which died 2 times on mine ;( )

None of the Nokia phone assembly processes were fully automated at the time, it just wasn't feasible financially. There were very strict instructions for the assembly and strict quality control all the time but sometimes they went a little too far with cost optimization 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, illie-vanilli said:

For now I'm going to stick with the info Erik gave so far and assume that the shipments of the first batch are already in transit to any of the fulfillment warehouses. Really curious to see how many pre-order customers will get the device in this first batch! 

Keep in mind that some of those early pre-order folks may not be active on the forums, so we may not get device received info for a while anyway.

For those reading, if you ordered the phone after early August 2019 please be aware that your phone may not be part of the first batch of devices sent out. Erik confirmed previously that they are shipping phones in the order that payment was received.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, agent008 said:

Remember the Xperia Ray? Now that was a nice form factor. If we are to go without  a qwery, that size was the best in my opinion. A sleek, thin and small, comfortable handset.

Too bad nobody makes them like that anymore. If there was a top-of-midrange handset like that today (Snapdragon 6xx, 2 or 3GB RAM, 64GB internal storage and microsd slot), it could well be my second phone.

Ah Ray! Yes Indeed, very elegant, got one lying around somewhere.... I loved the whole idea of SonyEricsson in 2011making four specwise (almost) completely identical flagship phones, including display resolution. Where the whole thing was just scaled.

There was

  • Pro, the real stuff with a keyboard
  • Neo, The Pro without a keyboard
  • Ray, a compact variant of the Neo
  • Arc, a huge variant of the Neo

I remember a friend of mine got the Arc and we all ridiculed him when he placed the humongous book sized thing to his ear. Today its 63mm would be considered a super compact....

See e.g. here

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vlycop said:

the new forum is not old at all and didn't keep registration or number of post i think. they migh be there for a long time or not, i don't thing we can check that

The post count seem to have been transferred, it is the reputation-count that have been cleared. And we were all marked as joined on Oct 24.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, magicafternoon said:

Keep in mind that some of those early pre-order folks may not be active on the forums, so we may not get device received info for a while anyway.

I am one of the Indiegogo preorderers.
I have received my payment request on the 1st of August at 9:56AM and payed it two minutes later (this is the arrival of my receipt mail).

When I receive my unit, I will write a message on this forum (so when I will arrive to home and I hope I will not travel that day).
Theoretically, that info may be good for some estimations...

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, magicafternoon said:

Keep in mind that some of those early pre-order folks may not be active on the forums, so we may not get device received info for a while anyway.

EU order with Indiegogo coupon. You'll be hearing from me if necessary.
I've been waiting for keyboard hardware from these guys for a good while now. I'm a patient man.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Siani_8 said:

But did you really have an order to cancel?  Only asking cause you joined a week ago and have 2 posts, neither one thrilled about the potential buy or experience.  If you just ordered recently, it's not like there's been a long wait so far either.  But yeah, if higher specs is what you want most from a phone and have that already, that's totally understandable.  What phone do you have out of curiosity?  Would have to be pretty new already I'm guessing?

I've had my order in since Aug 2, I pre-ordered before then and I've been following the phone for a while. I don't get involved in forums much these days, so you're correct I don't have many posts.

They've offered me a free case and headphones if I don't cancel my order, which is amusing on account of the fact that pre-orders were already supposed to get a free case and headphones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, PandaBearCorgi said:

I've had my order in since Aug 2, I pre-ordered before then and I've been following the phone for a while. I don't get involved in forums much these days, so you're correct I don't have many posts.

They've offered me a free case and headphones if I don't cancel my order, which is amusing on account of the fact that pre-orders were already supposed to get a free case and headphones.

Are you serious!?  That's nuts.  Yes, indeed they are supposed to come with the pre-orders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PandaBearCorgi said:

They've offered me a free case and headphones if I don't cancel my order, which is amusing on account of the fact that pre-orders were already supposed to get a free case and headphones.

They should offer the case and the headphones for everyone as compensation for all these delays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, anonim001 said:

Wait... I thought that all pre-orders get hp and a case - did that change too?

Only if you placed your pre-order before a certain date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Siani_8 said:

What date was that?

Any preorder placed before the 24th of June, regardless of payment date. For anyone else, our accessories will be on the store shortly after all preorders are shipped.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, _headcrash_ said:

For my Padora I had to wait a year.

You are kidding, right? As an early IGG backer of the Keyboard MotoMod I am waiting _years_ for this company to deliver me something I can use in my day to day routine. A year is nothing 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Erik said:

Any preorder placed before the 24th of June, regardless of payment date. For anyone else, our accessories will be on the store shortly after all preorders are shipped.

Hmmm guess I missed it by a couple of weeks.  Don't remember it being advertized like that or would have ordered earlier.  Well considering there still is no pic of the final version of the case  and I had a custom leather pouch made anyway, I guess it's no big thing. 

 

Edit: Although I do agree with the other poster that all pre-orders should have them at this point as a courtesy at the least. 

Edited by Siani_8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Siani_8 said:

Hmmm guess I missed it by a couple of weeks.  Don't remember it being advertized like that or would have ordered earlier.  Well considering there still is no pic of the final version of the case  and I had a custom leather pouch made anyway, I guess it's no big thing. 

 

Edit: Although I do agree with the other poster that all pre-orders should have them at this point as a courtesy at the least. 

If I'm honest, I very much doubt the case and headphones are going to be anything to write home about... Would probably want to get a third party pouch and/or skin anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Erik said:

Any preorder placed before the 24th of June, regardless of payment date. For anyone else, our accessories will be on the store shortly after all preorders are shipped.

Wait what ?

I preordered in August, it was still written pre-order everywhere, and it was stated before that all pre-order went with both a case and headphones. Pre-order officially stop when you order, so at payments time.

 

Please confirme soon, as this isn't what i payed for 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms