Slion

FxTec Pro1 launcher source code

Posted (edited)

Bump!

F(x)tec is advertising the Pro¹ with "LineageOS"-Support.
Well, ok, I flashed the test build of LineageOS, but F(x)tec should _really_ open source their launcher!!
(...and publish it at F-Droid or submit some code to Lineage's Trebuchet, if they want to adopt those features.)

Damn it, what's wrong guys?!

Edited by fxtec-preorder-47xx
  • Like 2

I thought somebody did manage to get the launcher apk at least. But then you'd still not have the source code. 

• Like 2

Anyway, an official place for the apk of launcher would be also an option.

However, I use Nova launcher instead of stock one.

9 hours ago, VaZso said:

Anyway, an official place for the apk of launcher would be also an option.

However, I use Nova launcher instead of stock one.

Though I like the versatility of Nova, I find that it really stinks in assuming the same grid layout in 1:2 portrait and 2:1 landscape. Here the stock launcher solution of seeing it as two (roughly) equally sized blocks, seems like a much more clever solution. A few launchers offers more or less independent layouts. That obviously has a lot of benefits, but means you will need to set things up twice. But most launchers (including Nova) that at all handles landscape take the lazy route of just squeezing and stretching the grid - apart from looking horrible, it also makes widgets more or less useless... I would wish some more powerful launcher had more clever solutions. I would suggest options for the user to pick from, like:
a) The two square block solution
b) A line-wrap  solution, where two rows 1234 , abcd in portrait ends as one joined row 1234abcd in landscape
c) Merge, where two  lines 1234 , abcd in portrait merged  to 1a2b3c4d in landscape
d) Independent layout of same icons, adding an icon in one layout. just throws it in at 'random'   place in the other, so people can manually rearrange stuff as they prefer,,
e) uncoupled independent icon sets and layouts.

Here b&c will require some special rules for handling widgits not fitting 1x1 though, that might not feel intuitive.

I'm pretty sure I would pick a) or d)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've so far found Nova (on the Moto Z series of phones) to be ok if:

• I don't try to squeeze too many lines and columns on a screen, so that there's enough space between icons regardless of orientation, even though that means wasting some space
  • I add more screens instead of letting a screen become too crowded
  • I'm very selective in what widgets I add – there are some which work well enough for both orientations, too, like a weather app I use or my preferred calendar app (DigiCal)

I'd prefer a "better" solution, too, but every other launcher I've tested so far has some other things which I find even more unpleasant than Nova's shortcomings, so Nova probably is what I'll initally be using on the Pro¹, too.

Anyway, getting the Pro¹ launcher's source code published would of course be cool!

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I also use Nova.  But what I'd want ideally is a launcher that doesn't rearrange things when going from landscape to portrait.  Just keep the icons where they are and rotate them in place.  And dont rotate the wallpaper (if present).

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Craig said:

I also use Nova.  But what I'd want ideally is a launcher that doesn't rearrange things when going from landscape to portrait.  Just keep the icons where they are and rotate them in place.  And dont rotate the wallpaper (if present).

I guess the problem is, while it would work perfectly with screens that contain only icons and square-sized widgets, it couldn't rotate widgets which aren't square-sized...

Which of course wouldn't be a problem for users who don't use non-square-sized widgets or don't mind rotated non-square-sized widgets, but I guess a launcher developer would expect these to be a small minority, meaning there would be complaints from everyone else to be expected...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2020 at 5:42 PM, Craig said:

That definitely should have been on my list of options too, though that as @Rob. S. pointed out, limits widgets to square-grid usage

Considering how often I've wiped the phone, nova's back up and restore feature is a God send. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D1ggs said:

Considering how often I've wiped the phone, nova's back up and restore feature is a God send. 

Never did a reset since I got it in January. I'm actually using it 😁

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Slion said:

Never did a reset since I got it in January. I'm actually using it 😁

Similar here. I do not recall having needed a reset at all on the retail unit since I got it in November.

(I obviously have reset the earlier units more recent flashing Sailfish and different versions of LineageOS though)

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 6:25 AM, Rob. S. said:

I've so far found Nova (on the Moto Z series of phones) to be ok if:

• I don't try to squeeze too many lines and columns on a screen, so that there's enough space between icons regardless of orientation, even though that means wasting some space
  • I add more screens instead of letting a screen become too crowded
  • I'm very selective in what widgets I add – there are some which work well enough for both orientations, too, like a weather app I use or my preferred calendar app (DigiCal)

I'd prefer a "better" solution, too, but every other launcher I've tested so far has some other things which I find even more unpleasant than Nova's shortcomings, so Nova probably is what I'll initally be using on the Pro¹, too.

Anyway, getting the Pro¹ launcher's source code published would of course be cool!

I've basically solved the Landscape versus Portrait problems with Nova-- I am these days using my Pro1 about 95% in Landscape.  I pull it from my pocket and just pop it open, whatever I want to do.  Nice grip, don't have to worry about curved edges and, at this point, with much practice, easy to do. So I design my Home screen landscape and don't much care what happens in portrait.

I was using Launchtime, which had all apps sorted into category tabs, but it ended up having a few quirks I didn't like.  But I loved the scheme-- essentially it was Palm Launcher from Palm OS days. So I designed the same scheme with Nova.

NovaLShome.png.d5fdad4de7a2acba7d05a782f05e74cb.png

I have my most used apps along the bottom of screen and up the app dock.  Everything else I use regularly are organized into folders with category labels in the second row.  Then I have two big widgets, Time (redundant to status bar but easier to quick look) and weather.Thats really everything I need on one Home Page.  On that rare occasion when I need to use the phone in portrait, it looks like this:

NovaPThome.thumb.png.0e87508c580949395dc5c49b39436291.png

Perfectly usable even if a little ugly and cramped.

I have a second home screen which is nothing but a Monthly Calendar widget:

NovaLScalendar.png.650865098f5356f48804eff509f6d064.png

It's handy to have a big scale calendar. It's readable in portrait, but I would only use it this way.

All of this works great.  It is easy and effective.  I have all of Nova's features, but I still have most of the simplicity that attracted me to Launchtime.

This is my solution anyway, and I'm sticking with it... for now.  😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2020 at 5:42 PM, Craig said:

That's why I switched to Total Launcher where you can define two totally different layouts for portrait and landscape.

Way better than Nova 🙂

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, EvilDragon said:

That's why I switched to Total Launcher where you can define two totally different layouts for portrait and landscape.

Just tried it and it's way too complicated to setup for my taste.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Slion said:

Just tried it and it's way too complicated to setup for my taste.

Hm, what's so complicated about it?

Took me about 20 minutes to setup everything the way I like after installation... and then you never need to do it again.

7 minutes ago, EvilDragon said:

Hm, what's so complicated about it?

Everything it seems, I could not even find a way to create a simple app shortcut. The so called tutorials felt very intrusive and not helpful. It looked like one of those software that supposedly let you do everything but is just not for everyone. I guess I'm just showing my age here ;)

2 hours ago, Slion said:

Everything it seems, I could not even find a way to create a simple app shortcut. The so called tutorials felt very intrusive and not helpful. It looked like one of those software that supposedly let you do everything but is just not for everyone. I guess I'm just showing my age here 😉

Agree 100%, but I'm old too.  😂

• Haha 2