Ghost touches and unresponsive area on lower screen

45 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

By the way, to me it seems some (if not most or even all) of the cheap screens which come through Aliexpress have a minor flaw in that the lower (seen in portrait orientation) two corners of the screen are not fully active, a small outermost part is blackened. While some of us might not even notice let alone care (only some sellers even mention this), it's something the manufacturer might not want to accept. And screens without such small faults might indeed be difficult to get for anyone at this point, not just FxTec. 

True.

I have bought some spare screens and I have only found one which is acceptable and another one which has only a really minor fault, so it is practically perfect.

The worst had a big black spot away from the edges which was practically unusable.

The rest has relatively small but noticeable issues at one or two corners.

So yes, these are not perfect displays what F(x)tec probably wants to get.

I have only used two - one which had some problems at a corner and the curent has the same problem at another corner and its colour temperature at low brightness is different than what original display had.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a quick follow up... F(x)tec Support sent my replacement screen out on Friday, I received it less than 24 hours later, replaced it as per their video instruction, and it's now working perfec

Alright.... I received my screen today, replaced it. Phone works again as it should!

Just to tie my story up, just got an email from FX that they have replaced my display and are shipping it back to me (FedEx to US).  Only a month, I'm very happy! 😄   I was worried with lockdown it wo

Posted Images

21 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Also remember that FxTec sees a larger part than the display it self as one spare part, so it might be other components they are missing for those.

C'mon... it's not like the phone was released just yesterday or they're using some other display for the X. It is the kind of part which it should be always in stock and provisioned. Also, they're selling it as a spare from the begining. No valid excuses fot not having it in stock.

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, Val said:

C'mon... it's not like the phone was released just yesterday or they're using some other display for the X. It is the kind of part which it should be always in stock and provisioned. Also, they're selling it as a spare from the begining. No valid excuses fot not having it in stock.

You obviously didn't quite understand what he was saying. He said, in addition to the general problem of reliably getting fully-functional copies of the display panel itself (for which the sellers on Aliexpress do not qualify), there could also be a shortage in some of the additional parts that make the screen assembly Fxtec are offering as a replacement, which is substantially more than just the panel. The assembly also includes the casing plus several other components like front camera and speaker.

You do have noticed that there have been supply problems worldwide for quite some time with electronic components of all kinds?

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 2
On 11/23/2021 at 3:42 PM, Rob. S. said:

You do have noticed that there have been supply problems worldwide for quite some time with electronic components of all kinds?

Really? When exactly?

You seem to "forget" that ALL the parts for the X were "secured"/bought in FULL more than a year ago and the only reported problem was with the cpu. The components crisis, mainly chips, is something more recent, around 6-9 months.

And, besides the X case mentioned above, as a producer/seller/repairing company, they should have a buffer stock for the most common replacement parts like the display, which they're also selling. We're not talking about some weird/custom part needed in some very rare cases.

5 hours ago, Val said:

And, besides the X case mentioned above, as a producer/seller/repairing company, they should have a buffer stock for the most common replacement parts like the display, which they're also selling. We're not talking about some weird/custom part needed in some very rare cases.

Do you expect say one making a washing machine to stock all the parts that might be needed to repair their machines for the whole expected life time of the device?

I doubt anyone would.

The sensible thing to do is to stock what can be expected to be needed within some reasonable time frame, where any needed reorder can be expected to be fulfilled. And with new models you never really can be sure which spare-part will be the one in most demand, so they would not want to buy a lot of parts they are never going to use.

The problem now is that reorder fulfilment expectations that made sense a year ago does not now....

Remember that this is not a billion Dollar business selling millions of devices. We are talking devices in the thousands here. So small fluctuations have a much larger impact AND the priority they meet everywhere is likely to be low.

• Thanks 2

@Val I'm not forgetting anything, and I'm not confusing "secured" with "bought and received", either. Also, while I agree that "they should have" done that in a perfect world, and I add that they should have done a lot more and should be doing a lot more in general, and also a lot of the things they're actually doing could and should be done better, this world isn't perfect, and with even just a remote idea of how the smartphone business works no one would have had any right to assume that they were even still alive after the Pro1 production had hit all those obstacles, let alone have substantial amounts of spare parts in stock for a device that hasn't even shipped yet.

Now that they still are alive and we can at least still hope to get something worthwhile for our money, the least we have to assume is that they've been on a super tight budget themselves for quite a while. Otherwise they wouldn´t have needed to go through Indiegogo for the Pro1X in the first place. Also, we can safely assume that things can still get awry for them at any time, for any minor additional obstacle. Do and think what you will, but I'll just act chill and lay low, follow the information that frequently trickles in, patiently wait for the two devices and those spare parts I've ordered and paid for myself to actually show up, and in the meantime perhaps get two or three more display panels through Aliexpress to be on the safe side there, and hope that things may become more normal for everyone involved when the Pro1X has become a real product that actually leaves the factories and might even be ordered with a sensible delivery time.

• Thanks 3

Well while I understand the frustration, everybody does, we all have been there, I think it is important to remember that we just have no idea. FxTec may have done things wrong. Or they just don't get what they have paid for.

The truth is, to produce a smartphone you are highly dependent on a few big players that can play ball with you. Sure if they don't send you the parts you may consider legal steps. That may bring you your money back but you surely won't get any parts afterwards. Not when you are so small that they don't really care.

In addition to having no leverage at all, a lot of the supply chain is controlled by china and they must and will fulfill the needs of Chinese companies first.

Having spare parts lying around is expensive and isn't really the way things are done anymore. With the huge global transport network in place, it is often ordered in time. This should not really be the case for fxtec themselves, since they only have a few thousand units BUT they don't produce themself. The factory doing it may require them to not have any spares lying in the way but to organize a JIT-supplier.

In conclusion, there is a highly complex supply chain, probably spanning multiple countries, which is probably completely uncontrollable for fxtec. The Error could be anywhere also at FxTec but they are just the last Part.

Why are they not explaining it to us if it isn't their fault you may ask? Well if you are at the goodwill of your supplier, it may not be wise to publicly blame them for anything.

Edited by Doktor Oswaldo
  • Like 3
On 11/25/2021 at 9:58 AM, EskeRahn said:

Do you expect say one making a washing machine to stock all the parts that might be needed to repair their machines for the whole expected life time of the device?

"Might"? 😄

So... again... we're not talking about some strange custom part or all of the parts. The display is the same part for Pro1 and Pro1X. 

You're telling me that after 2 years of real life data of the defect rate for the display, the demand for buying it at 149gbp, as offered, you cannot estimate and have a buffer stock? Really?

On 11/25/2021 at 1:43 PM, Rob. S. said:

I agree that "they should have" done that in a perfect world

As you see, I'm not talking about a perfect world, but a real one based on facts, when you can learn from mistakes, not repeat them as if it didn't matter.

Same "perfect world" argument/advice for the customer who passed the 200 days without his phone sent for repairs?

On 11/25/2021 at 3:48 PM, Doktor Oswaldo said:

In conclusion, there is a highly complex supply chain, probably spanning multiple countries, which is probably completely uncontrollable for fxtec

Exactly! When you know from past experiences that there might be delays for sure, you'll order 20pcs (5 already sold and 15 confirmed warranties) or 40-60pcs for the UK hub?!? I'm not talking about thousands of displays, as subtly implied by one or the other.

12 hours ago, Val said:

You're telling me that after 2 years of real life data of the defect rate for the display, the demand for buying it at 149gbp, as offered, you cannot estimate and have a buffer stock? Really?

In short, no I'm not telling you that.... Reread

22 hours ago, Val said:

As you see, I'm not talking about a perfect world, but a real one based on facts, when you can learn from mistakes, not repeat them as if it didn't matter.

Same "perfect world" argument/advice for the customer who passed the 200 days without his phone sent for repairs?

Getting upset helps noone, least of all yourself. All we can do in such a case, after two years of complaints publicly and directly to Fxtec's support, is actively trying to help them by pinging Erik. 

Your prime mistake here is to somewhat naïvely think Fxtec wouldn't know that their support sucks, and how it sucks, and that therefore they could simply improve things by "learning" something.

As I said earlier, at this point we can call ourselves lucky that they even still exist. The main consideration of all of us who still are waiting for a device (or, like me, two) should be that they at least make it until our devices will be manufactured and delivered. If they fold, it won't help those with existing devices in need of repair or spare parts, either.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1
On 12/2/2021 at 3:32 PM, EskeRahn said:

In short, no I'm not telling you that.... Reread

I did: "might". You also used italics.

On 12/3/2021 at 12:38 AM, Rob. S. said:

Getting upset helps noone, least of all yourself. All we can do in such a case, after two years of complaints publicly and directly to Fxtec's support, is actively trying to help them by pinging Erik. 

Your prime mistake here is to somewhat naïvely think Fxtec wouldn't know that their support sucks, and how it sucks, and that therefore they could simply improve things by "learning" something.

I'm not upset, just trying to make a point and hoping that maybe they'll change the wrongs for which there are no valid excuses. 

I own several small companies, but one of them is the main backbone. One of my main employees left, you can say without notice, although in reality it was about keeping her word as agreed. In the past + one month I was practically doing also her job while teaching new staff and doing my part. There are some costs, less personal life and related, but if there is interest from management, it's doable. We're talking about more than two years, not smth that just happened yesterday, unexpected.  

Some things/procedures can be observed and fixed just by reading the forum. It's not a problem for you that you suggest to ping someone from the management, when the same management can read ALL the messages posted in a week in less time than needed to light and finish a smoke?!? 

Update and no so update:

FxTec support told me that they'll receive a shippment of displays at the end of November and that they'll contact me. Nothing so far, but December is still young.

Meanwhile, I just received my Aliexpress Elephone U Pro display, ordered in the same time with the support ticket. 7 days from China and the rest at the mortal postal office in my country.

I hope that an adjustable lidl heatgun will do the trick, because It didn't work just by trying to pry apart the screen and I didn't want to force it. I've read that someone used a hair dryer to dismantle the diplay from the frame. 

See how 'easy' things are, even for this minor fruit company, according to nikkei here.

Surprised that some seems to expect that it is super easy for a huge player like FxTec to get parts as they need them, just they try a little harder....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1