Jump to content

Sailfish vs Lineage


Recommended Posts

Lineage is based on Android, and if you come from Android phones there is no need to learn any much new things (if "things" working here means android apps also that's your best bet). Sailfish is a whole different world that exists without roots in Android, it's more like linux on a desktop computer in architecture. I believe both work excellent on Pro1 :). Best really is subjective here, I don't really like Android that much including lineage but it's still what I use because of what apps are available...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, netman said:

Lineage is based on Android, and if you come from Android phones there is no need to learn any much new things (if "things" working here means android apps also that's your best bet). Sailfish is a whole different world that exists without roots in Android, it's more like linux on a desktop computer in architecture. I believe both work excellent on Pro1 :). Best really is subjective here, I don't really like Android that much including lineage but it's still what I use because of what apps are available...

Does Lineage goes through Google Safety net? Means are there banking-apps or google pay available? And same question for OFFICIAL Sailfish (which is not available yet - only community version) Does it successfully goes through safety net?

Edited by Swond
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Swond said:

Does Lineage goes through Google Safety net? Means are there banking-apps or google pay available? And same question for OFFICIAL Sailfish (which is not available yet - only community version) Does it successfully goes through safety net?

My banking apps work fine on lineage os (official nightly) not setup google pay on it so don't know on that.

Sailfish I seriously doubt you will find any banking apps (they probably haven't created one) and safety net doesn't exist its an android thing.

Edited by _DW_
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

SailfishOS can be seen as a Linux distribution (Android uses Linux kernel too). Only thing where it relies on Android are Android drivers through libhybris.

Certain Android Apps can be run in SailfishOS using an emulator and it is possible and officially supported only on certain Sony Xperia models - so no go on Pro1.

The overall state of SailfishOS  on Pro1 is a community port in alpha stage. Many thanks to those making it possible (the same goes to LineageOS porters)!

Could SailfishOS on Pro1 be used as a daily phone? Well - it depends. Give it a try but don't hope you can find every application you have used in Android.

And there are some small glitches here and there. But overall it feels like a draught of fresh air in the stale atmosphere of Android&IOS 😄

My last try results from the end of June are here 🙂

Edited by acrux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very interesting. I thought both was android versions. Thank you for that. Also, does Lineage on Pro 1 work well? Or is that alpha stage, as Sailfish OS is?

 

Is there possibility for dual boot on Pro 1?

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MalteM said:

This is very interesting. I thought both was android versions. Thank you for that. Also, does Lineage on Pro 1 work well? Or is that alpha stage, as Sailfish OS is?

 

Is there possibility for dual boot on Pro 1?

Lineage is definitely not alpha.  As of the official version, I wouldn't even call it beta.  It is a full and stable alternate version of Android tuned to the Pro1.  It will now get security updates as they are published and tweaks will happen as new things are discovered.

And, no, dual boot is not possible on the Pro1

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Swond said:

Does Lineage goes through Google Safety net? Means are there banking-apps or google pay available? And same question for OFFICIAL Sailfish (which is not available yet - only community version) Does it successfully goes through safety net?

Google pay won't be available on it I think. Other things that want Safetynet could at least in the past be tricked with Magisk, but I don't know if that's still the case. I don't use any apps that require Safetynet, I think they are evil, but I seen from John Wu's twitter there might be trouble in paradise.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hook said:

Lineage is definitely not alpha.  As of the official version, I wouldn't even call it beta.  It is a full and stable alternate version of Android tuned to the Pro1.  It will now get security updates as they are published and tweaks will happen as new things are discovered.

And, no, dual boot is not possible on the Pro1

 

 

 

 

That sounds great. Am having some bluetooth issues as well as experiencing the phone being sluggish overall. So was thinking other OS's might adress these issues. As well as being better options in the long run, with a bit more dedicated developers? Anyhow, looks like it'll be Lineage OS for me. Thanks a lot.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms