Jump to content

Rear camera stopped working


Recommended Posts

So now everything looked great after the screen replacement and the upgrade to LineageOS 18.1, and today the rear camera suddenly stopped working. For the OS, it isn't even there anymore, all photo apps see just the front camera. 

I suspect (and hope) it's just a connector that has become loose somewhere inside the phone. 

Any idea where I would have to look? This would be my first disassembly of the phone and I'm not an experienced tinkerer...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since just after a software upgrade, I would guess software issues first. But obviously it could be unrelated and be a hardware issue....

Had it been the front facing camera, it could have been accidentally pushed during the display replacement, but it could hardly have affected the rear camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It will probably do nothing, but my go-to when I find something wonky is a "Battery pull restart."  Hold the power button (ignore the restart screen) until the Pro1 spontaneously reboots.  If it does nothing, no harm done, but I find it often sets really squirrely things right again.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hook said:

It will probably do nothing, but my go-to when I find something wonky is a "Battery pull restart." 

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind – although in this case it didn't help! 

2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Since just after a software upgrade, I would guess software issues first.

I don't remember clearly whether I had the camera working at least once with the new OS or not before it stopped... But I do remember that I had the same issue right after I got the phone, and that it went away after giving the phone a firm shake or something like that. Didn't work now, either, unfortunately. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Laska said:

I think the connection with mainboard is deattached. It happen to me after I've dropped my phone. You have to disassembly back cover and reattach it.

Thanks, that was my hope!

I already found the connector in the service manual – thanks to @raymo –, it's what's in the tweezers in step 23.

Then again, looking at all those steps before step 23 (ok, I obviously can leave the battery alone), the disassembly looks more complicated than I would have liked...

Which made me try something else right now, before starting the disassembly: applying substantial pressure with my thumb on the back cover at the exact place where that connector must be underneath. 

And what shall I say, for the time being the camera is back working! 🙂 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 months later...

Hi. I dropped the phone. It was in a pretty decent protective pouch case. The main camera app doesn't work with the rear camera anymore. And is very laggy and crashy, Third party apps like dashcams work with the rear camera. Restart didn't help. What could've happened? Only one of the two rear cameras got faulty? What to do?
Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This has happened to several users. More than likely the connector is at least partially detached from the main board. Only way to find out is to disassemble the phone and press and click the connector back in place.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, fashion_m said:

Hi. I dropped the phone. It was in a pretty decent protective pouch case. The main camera app doesn't work with the rear camera anymore. And is very laggy and crashy, Third party apps like dashcams work with the rear camera. Restart didn't help. What could've happened? Only one of the two rear cameras got faulty? What to do?

Before disassembling, try applying good pressure to the marked position on the phone's back cover, that can put the connector back into place; for me, it has done the trick several times now (see also here) and so far I didn't have to do the disassembly at all (as to not adorn myself with borrowed plumes, the original image in this case is from androidauthority.com, I've just added the mark):

Fxtec-Pro1-rear-ed.png.43293c40ab9afad4ab786a0af2693a34.png

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob. S. said:

Before disassembling, try applying good pressure to the marked position on the phone's back cover, that can put the connector back into place; for me, it has done the trick several times now (see also here) and so far I didn't have to do the disassembly at all (as to not adorn myself with borrowed plumes, the original image in this case is from androidauthority.com, I've just added the mark):

Fxtec-Pro1-rear-ed.png.43293c40ab9afad4ab786a0af2693a34.png

Hi, pressing the phone turned out to have solved the problem, but not until I rebooted the phone.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2022 at 4:08 PM, fashion_m said:

Hi, pressing the phone turned out to have solved the problem, but not until I rebooted the phone.

Important detail on a great trick. Thanks both of you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms