/e/OS available for Pro1 (SD835 version)

I recently discovered that /e/OS has a beta build for the F(x)tec Pro1 (the original device with the SD835 SOC, not the Pro1X, for now) available for downloads for those that are interested. 

According to /e/ themselves,

"/e/OS is a complete, fully 'deGoogled', mobile ecosystem."

It is compatible with normal Android apps, F-droid, Aurora Store and can, supposedly, pass SafetyNet checks by default.

what do you think about adding this to the list of available ROMs, @EskeRahn?

The link for info and download(s) is:

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/pro1

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with /e/, and take no responsibility for bricking your device 😛

Edited by toast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Posted (edited)

To be honest, I wish I had an 835 just to try this ROM out. 

I have been running /e/ (although the stable release) on another device as daily driver for the last few months and I am very happy with it.

I feel like the Pro1/Pro1X with /e/ would be the next best thing to native Linux for me personally.

Did not have the opportunity to try SFOS out yet though..

Edited by toast
Posted (edited)

Well, to be honest, I just like the feel of /e/ better than lineage.

Also, /e/ has their own Apps store that includes a privacy scan from Exodus Privacy (lists all recognized trackers and permissions in the apps) for all apps in the store and gives the apps a "privacy score" based on that. Pretty neat.

I do like the default apps in /e/ a little better, while I have to say I like the default launcher of lineage a bit more, but both are highly subjective, I suppose.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After reading a little, I am under the impression that /e/ is indeed more about the default software distribution than about the underlying OS. Not to turn down that effort -- sane defaults that just work out of the box are certainly a good thing.

I'll keep using vanilla Lineage (without Gapps or MicroG) for now. The Aurora store also displays tracker information from Exodus btw. But most of my apps are from F-Droid anyway...

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 2

Yes, /e/OS puts more effort into delivering privacy focused default apps and settings, I believe.

If anyone is curious, I stumbled upon this report about data collection by some Android based operating systems (including Samsung, Xiaomi and Huawei proprietary OSes as well as LineageOS and /e/OS).

Seems like (not very surprising) /e/OS came out on top, followed by LineageOS as the least data collecting OSes in the study.

A link to an article written by Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland where the study took place:

https://www.tcd.ie/news_events/articles/study-reveals-scale-of-data-sharing-from-android-mobile-phones/

and a direct link the the report itself:

https://www.scss.tcd.ie/Doug.Leith/Android_privacy_report.pdf

• Like 2
1 hour ago, toast said:

Seems like (not very surprising) /e/OS came out on top, followed by LineageOS

Thanks for sharing this article.

Note that the comparison is quite unfair with respect to LineageOS in that, in this study, the LOS device had GApps installed, which then -- unsurprisingly -- phone home to Google in the same way they do when installed on a commercial AndroidOS. The Lineage Project does not ship GApps in their ROMs -- users have to install them separately (and willingly) from a 3rd-party source after flashing the OS.

I think it is safe to assume that a LineageOS with MicroG (as also used by /e/) or a vanilla LineageOS (with neither GApps nor MicroG installed) would come out essentially on par with /e/ in this study.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 4

I 100℅ agree thats probably the case. 

However, I was more or less blown away with the extent of survaillance in some of the other OSes. I mean, I knew they would phone home, but thats borderline ridiculous.

12 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

The most surprising thing here is that people still are surprised about this massive steal of private data. I'm surprised that it isn't common knowledge by now.

I was not surprised that data harvesting was occuring, that is common knowledge since ages back.

But to collect data about how long I watch a certain screen of a certain app, potentially for all of the apps in ones phone? I quite honestly find it hard to believe they are even able to process all of that data..