Pro1x with SailfishOS

Following @esialb's thread on Ubuntu Touch, here's one showing that SailfishOS works too:

photo_2022-08-06_19-05-09.thumb.jpg.0bdbf71b688bfab5c36e88529980b024.jpg

photo_2022-08-06_19-49-17.thumb.jpg.813d098c8e842528a45520cfb78f8492.jpg

photo_2022-08-06_19-05-13.thumb.jpg.8acb5436c39bb63ebe678c7c7692c483.jpg

photo_2022-08-06_19-05-17.thumb.jpg.003cbd571fa2a736ca09c9a7c2970740.jpg

———

Instructions:

- Download the latest artifacts.zip from Ubuntu Touch (you'll need it for the boot.img): https://gitlab.com/ubports/porting/community-ports/android11/fxtec-pro1x/fxtec-pro1x/-/jobs

- Download the latest artifacts.zip from the SailfishOS port repository: https://gitlab.com/sailfishos-porters-ci/halium-qx1050-ci/-/jobs

- Extract them both, in the Ubuntu Touch subfolder, pick boot.img and paste it in the SailfishOS folder together with the userdata.simg already there.

- Then pick your clacky Pro1x, power it down, hold down [Volume -] and [Power] until it boots. It will show a dead droid logo. From there, hold [Power] and without releasing it, hit [Volume +] briefly with another finger. From the menu that just appeared, select Bootloader. The phone will reboot into bootloader mode, where you can use fastboot commands:

cd /path/to/extracted/sfos/build/containing/both/files/discussed/above
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot set_active a
fastboot flash userdata userdata.simg

- When it's done, hit [Power] to reboot. You're done.

———

Convenience tweaks:

### Allow homescreen rotation
devel-su sed -e "s/return allowed/return Orientation.All/" -i  /usr/lib64/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Silica/Page.qml

### Install keyboard daemon to lock apps in landscape when it's open
pkcon install wget
cd ~/Downloads && wget https://repo.sailfishos.org/obs/sailfishos:/chum/4.4.0.68_aarch64/aarch64/harbour-taskswitcher-0.6.2-1.1.1.jolla.aarch64.rpm
pkcon install-local harbour-taskswitcher-0.6.2-1.1.1.jolla.aarch64.rpm
# Then go to Settings/Taskswitcher, enable "Fxtec Pro1" as Primary keyboard, "gpio-keys" as Secondary Keyboard, check "Lock Orientation" and "Lock Orientation on Slide", set "Orientation landscape", and check "Start Taskswitcher on bootup" and start the daemon at the top.

———

It is still work in progress, but Adam (@piggz) and whoever else from the #sailfishos-porters porting squad who might have contributed have already made wonders. A quick overview of what I have tested below, but remember it's very preliminary (I haven't installed anything yet and some apps are known to improve keyboard and systemwide orientation support on Pro1 for instance).

# Yays
- Fingerprint works (and better than on Android)
- It's butter smooth
- Camera works
- LED works
- Keyboard with the Pro1x layout works out of the box (and thankfully the SFOS kernel allows using shift on keys where a special yellow modifier shouldn't be useful, like 2nd layer chars on the digit row); only issue is : requires Yellow+? whereas Shift+? should work too
- Keyboard opening wakes the device from sleep
- Escape wakes the screen when it's dimming down (but not when it's sleeping already)
- Bluetooth works
- Brightness slider works (maybe even a tad better than on Android, though still not very linear, and goes greenish when dimmed)
- Encryption works
- Applications that rotate to landscape when the keyboard is out are indeed locked as long as the keyboard is out
- Waydroid seems possible but I haven't managed to make it work yet
- Telephony works
- 3G/4G work
- SMS/MMS work
- All sensors work (magnetometer, light and proximity, gyroscope, etc.)
- GPS works
- Dual-sim detected (although I just have one sim card so I have not tested the other slot)
- Keyboard backlight works (PR pending merged)
- LXC containers work with Xsession (with some work)
- Vibration works

# Neighs
- No system-wide landscape autorotate out of the box yet (but see convenience tweaks above to enable that manually)
- Somewhat higher probability of app crashes than on Pro1, I would say
- Many SFOS applications are not yet compiled for aarch64 (including most of my packages)
- Shift or Ctrl + arrows on text field don't select or move words in browser text fields (but that works in other applications as far as I can see)
- Waydroid seems possible but I haven't managed to make it work yet
- There is an issue with dnsmasq (dependency for Waydroid) breaking the resolving in the browsers, but it's not a port issue, it's a SFOS one that should get fixed in future updates; until then, "devel-su systemctl disable dnsmaq && devel-su systemctl mask dnsmasq" fixes it
- Shutter button does nothing for now, but I can detect it in the terminal so it shouldn't be too hard to do something with it

# Dunnos
- Haven't tested a SD card yet

———

Moar pics

photo_2022-08-07_05-33-09.thumb.jpg.6fabb852d2edd70b79cbcf58c92fa8dd.jpg

photo_2022-08-06_19-05-21.jpg

photo_2022-08-06_19-05-24.jpg

photo_2022-08-06_01-09-42.jpg

photo_2022-08-06_01-29-11.jpg

photo_2022-08-06_03-17-41.jpg

--

Kabouik

photo_2022-08-06_01-40-48.jpg

Edited by matf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Thanks @matf. This is a fantastic heads up. My Pro1X is in transit, and I will be keen to try out SFOS. Any updates as you discover more would be fantastic.

In settings>SIM cards, you can probably turn off the sim 2 slot if you are not using it.

Also, the screenshot of the storage looks odd indeed. So much (wasted) space in to system data partition. And missing space elsewhere? It doesn’t seem to add up to 256? Perhaps some work is needed on the partitions?

Thanks again for posting a status. It looks great!

• Like 1

Yup I didn't mean to add the dual-sim item in the Neighs, but wanted it in the Yays! I just meant that I haven't tested the second slot yet.

About storage, there's something even stranger since this unit is a 128/6 GB variant, so I shouldn't see this much storage. I forgot to check how the partition sizes were showing in Android. 

I posted this list on Discord and Telegram too, but I'm trying to keep the one in this thread up to date so far; I updated it a bit already. Not sure I'll dot it in Discord/Telegram.

--

Kabouik

Edited by matf
  • Like 1

To disambiguate, I'm not the porter! @piggzis.

I'll try to progress with Waydroid as I know it's going to be a game changer for many users, but unfortunately right now I have to choose between web-browsing or waydroiding (see issue here: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/browser-not-working-alongside-dnsmask/10829/29?u=kabouik).

Edited by matf
  • Like 1

LXC containers work (with Xsession, but the setup is not as user friendly as it was on Pro1 in 2020😞

photo_2022-08-07_03-46-17.thumb.jpg.cf9cd5c390f7c72801edc2aaca1c89ba.jpg

photo_2022-08-07_03-46-13.thumb.jpg.9c8f06e6530a17446e575d27d226d1f1.jpg

photo_2022-08-07_05-33-09.thumb.jpg.93c5cdc0141d0033569f72acab9e7144.jpg

Still no luck with Waydroid despite my attempts, but theoretically this should be possible because there are unofficial images for Halium 11 that have already been shown to work on SailfishOS (other devices), Ubuntu Touch, and Droidian. These are the images I tried.

Edited by matf
  • Like 6

Excerpt of the latest changes in the list in the FP:

- Camera works
- 3G/4G work
- SMS/MMS work
- Keyboard backlight works (PR pending merged)
- LXC containers work with Xsession (with some work)
- Vibration works

Edited by matf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1