I'm afraid the solution using Termux and archlinux container from SDrausty won't work any more because of Android 12...(sigh)....

That's why I camp on LOS18.1 on my Pro1, before finding time to reinstall all stuffs and probably flashing (un)official LOS16.1 maintained by @claude0001

Edited by raymo
F***ing keyboard bug
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, raymo said:

I'm afraid the solution using Termux and archlinux container from SDrausty won't work any more because of Android 12...(sigh)....

That's why I camp on LOS18.1 on my Pro1, before finding time to reinstall all stuffs and probably flashing (un)official LOS16.1 maintained by @claude0001

I'm not using Termux myself. But, in my (very limited) understanding, it still works on Android 12. It is just not receiving updates (or is not installable at all?) from the Google App Store (because it still targets Android 9 SDK). The F-Droid version should not be affected by this, nor manual installation using the *.apk.

There seem to be some worries that, in the future, Android 12+ might shut down apps targeting Android 9 SDK via SELinux policies. But would this necessarily also affect LineageOS 19.1+? Anyway,  I disabled SELinux on my Pro1 (LOS 16.0) long ago ...  

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1

Still not really Linux as in mainline Linux, but speaking of LXC, I have tried to update harbour-containers today to fix some long lasting issues that were keeping many users away: https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1574540&postcount=240

It's being tested in the fork, everything may not work, I'm not a dev. If all goes well, I'll make a PR for upstream and push it to the Chum repository (a FOSS GUI store for SFOS).

Edited by matf-kabouik
  • Like 2

@claude0001
Android 12 remove access to the data folder (google "privacy" schizophrenic paranoia, or simply a way removing your right to access your own phone ?) so the archlinux container doesn't install properly, and I didn't find a way to correctly install scripts from SDRausty yet.
But I guess it will be a workaround in future, I really trust in the knowledge of this community to make the pro1-x better !

• Like 2
On 8/15/2022 at 10:01 PM, Adamyno said:

I opened this topic because we already have SailfishOS and Ubuntu touch topics, but I don't really consider them Linux. I'm interested in operating systems that are perhaps closer to Linux than Android. It's hard to talk about this while knowing: Android is Linux. That's why I prefer to write examples:
Plasma Mobile
PostmarketOS
Mobian (Debian)
PureOS (Librem)
Kai OS

Anyone have any experience with these?

Hi.

We(me+Ichernev) are currently messing around mainline kernel on Snapdragon 662.
We are going to submit some base stuff pretty soon depending how maintainers will go on merging simple compatibles.
However we are working on other devices, Redmi 9T(me) and Oneplus N100(Ichernev).
While progress is going to be slow we will get there at some point, one of harder things will be Adreno 610 support due to no GMU but i hope this will be done by SoMainline for 665 SoC so we just can pick it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8
On 8/18/2022 at 7:08 AM, raymo said:

@claude0001
Android 12 remove access to the data folder (google "privacy" schizophrenic paranoia, or simply a way removing your right to access your own phone ?) so the archlinux container doesn't install properly, and I didn't find a way to correctly install scripts from SDRausty yet.
But I guess it will be a workaround in future, I really trust in the knowledge of this community to make the pro1-x better !

I was thinking about using bind mounts to achieve those kinds of things. Some apps don't know they exist but given the kernel version PRO¹-X is using (maybe the PRO¹ is using a close one to PRO¹-X), bind mounts and namespaces are well available in the mainline. From what I could poke already, it appears android has those too in the kernel. If the concept works right, that would mean SAF is a complete scam and not just badly implemented fancy pants security.

On 8/18/2022 at 8:30 AM, Aka said:

Hi.

We(me+Ichernev) are currently messing around mainline kernel on Snapdragon 662.
We are going to submit some base stuff pretty soon depending how maintainers will go on merging simple compatibles.
However we are working on other devices, Redmi 9T(me) and Oneplus N100(Ichernev).
While progress is going to be slow we will get there at some point, one of harder things will be Adreno 610 support due to no GMU but i hope this will be done by SoMainline for 665 SoC so we just can pick it.

Awesome! I hope this brings more possibilities for PRO¹-X!

On 8/16/2022 at 5:18 PM, claude0001 said:

If you want to run mainline Linux out of principle, I totally respect that. 👍

But, on the practical side: what do you think you would miss if you ran your favourite GNU distro in a container of Android, Sailfish or UBTouch, as proposed by @matf-kabouik or @Rob. S.?

The ability to run the phone for at least 5 years with uptodate kernel with security fixes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/17/2022 at 2:11 PM, claude0001 said:

Thanks to MaemoLeste, the N900 can run a 5.x.y kernel now (I should try it at some point). However also here, they had to somehow reuse the original closed-source driver for 3D graphics, and sadly, also the remaining hardware is only mostly supported. And that is 13 years after the device was released ... Not to be misunderstood: the MaemoLeste people do great work here, they are just too late to the party. Pretty good illustration of my point above, about how obsolescence catches up with the phones before their support in mainline Linux matures sufficiently for being practically useful. 😞

The interesting thing about Maemo Leste imo is that some of the targets (particularly the Motorola Droid 4) are more or less usable as a cellphone nowadays, especially running an OS as lightweight as maemo leste.

I even ran LineageOS on a Droid 4 as a regular phone until about 3 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I just started working on the mainline kernel a few days ago with ichernev and so far I've got USB and simplefb up and going, no button, storage or regulators yet.

IMG_20220910_232456.thumb.jpg.76fa340d17c9348624778aed60ec8495.jpg

Screenshot_20220911_033000.thumb.png.a217633fc03c456435cf82e76d58aeba.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7
21 hours ago, Danct12 said:

Hi folks,

I just started working on the mainline kernel a few days ago with ichernev and so far I've got USB and simplefb up and going, no button, storage or regulators yet.

IMG_20220910_232456.thumb.jpg.76fa340d17c9348624778aed60ec8495.jpg

Screenshot_20220911_033000.thumb.png.a217633fc03c456435cf82e76d58aeba.png

Is it SnapDragon 835?

2 minutes ago, Danct12 said:

And here is postmarketOS booting to getty on the Pro1X.

https://cdn.fosstodon.org/media_attachments/files/108/980/689/786/551/294/original/0791f254a0adf297.mp4

Nope, this is the Snapdragon 662 version of the Pro1X.

That sounds good, because most of us have it (or will have it). Doesn't it have 8GB of RAM? The picture shows only 6GB.

1 minute ago, Adamyno said:

That sounds good, because most of us have it (or will have it). Doesn't it have 8GB of RAM? The picture shows only 6GB.

You can get the Pro1X with 128GB UFS/6GB RAM.

Not to mention, this unit is a bit special because the chassis is not in blue, but rather the same color as the SDM835 Pro1 with XDA logo engraved and I did not pay for it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Danct12 said:

A Pro1X-et 128 GB UFS / 6 GB RAM-mal kaphatja meg.

Arról nem is beszélve, hogy ez az egység egy kicsit különleges, mert a ház nem  kék, hanem ugyanolyan színű, mint az XDA logóval gravírozott SDM835 Pro1, és nem fizettem érte.

I understand. Mine is 8/256GB in blue with SD662. Yours may be an early piece. Maybe the main components and SoC are the same.

11 minutes ago, Danct12 said:

Not to mention, this unit is a bit special because the chassis is not in blue, but rather the same color as the SDM835 Pro1 with XDA logo engraved and I did not pay for it.

Indiegogo samples were only available as blue, but after the Pro1 X had become available through Fxtec's website as well, from there it also could (and can) be ordered in black.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 2
32 minutes ago, Danct12 said:

this unit is a bit special because the chassis is not in blue, but rather the same color as the SDM835 Pro1 with XDA logo engraved and I did not pay for it.

Sounds like a dev unit to me, has one of the "community devs" finally appeared?  Great work whatever your backstory 👍🏾