Keyboard issues

Hi

I have two keyboard issues with my Pro 1 (original Android 9, not LineageOS):

1. There is no keyboard backlight. I read that many users complain about low-intensity light, but there is absolutely none in my case. The only key with (the low-intensity) backlight is CapsLock (when turned on).
  2. Open keyboard is not detected. When writing on the hardware keyboard, a software one keeps showing despite the fact I have "Show virtual keyboard (keep it on screen while physical keyboard is active)" turned off. Applications such as "Null keyboard" are workarounds, but it is very annoying.

Does anybody has a similar issues? Is it just software related, or could there be, e.g., problem with a sensor detecting open keyboard?

Edited by 671994
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Try the factory test described in this thread, The magnetic hal sensor is number six from the bottom, just above "OTG"

Thanks!

I performed the test of the Hall senzor: Closing they keyboard -> the first line becomes green, opening -> the second line becomes green.

Even when I repeated the process, I wasn't able to get third and fourth line green. See the final result attached. Is it correct?

Hall_senzor.thumb.png.afaf2954c9ead56a77c022c4240355e8.png

19 minutes ago, 671994 said:

Thanks!

I performed the test of the Hall senzor: Closing they keyboard -> the first line becomes green, opening -> the second line becomes green.

Even when I repeated the process, I wasn't able to get third and fourth line green. See the final result attached. Is it correct?

Yes, as you can see in the other thread the other one is for detecting e.g. a flip case, You can trigger that one with a strategically placed magnet, but it has nothing to do with the keyboard,

So as the sensor works it seems like some software issue. What is the firmware installed on it? 2020-07-07?

9 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Then my best guess is a factory reset...

Do you have a (strong) reason to believe, that it may help? What kind of bug can be "repaired" by the reset? I've already migrated data from my old phone and set up applications and it took me several ours, so I don't want to repeat it unless really necessary.

27 minutes ago, 671994 said:

Do you have a (strong) reason to believe, that it may help? What kind of bug can be "repaired" by the reset? I've already migrated data from my old phone and set up applications and it took me several ours, so I don't want to repeat it unless really necessary.

Well as it is not hardware detection that is the issue it must be software that is somehow messed up. And as no others have chimed in with the issue it will be hard to guess what it could be, but you could try to uninstall/disable/stop various stuff and hope you can find it - but I guess you easily will use even more time trying that....

That the keyboard backlight does not turn on, also indicates something is rotten, of course in theory it could be two independent failures, but seems unlikely.

(I take it for granted that you in the Settings, Slider have Turn On Backlight set to on)

2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

(I take it for granted that you in the Settings, Slider have Turn On Backlight set to on)

Yes :-).

2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Well as it is not hardware detection that is the issue it must be software that is somehow messed up. And as no others have chimed in with the issue it will be hard to guess what it could be, but you could try to uninstall/disable/stop various stuff and hope you can find it - but I guess you easily will use even more time trying that....

That the keyboard backlight does not turn on, also indicates something is rotten, of course in theory it could be two independent failures, but seems unlikely.

Ok, thanks for the opinion. I'll try the reset, but probably not today.