But, can you lock it??

The data is encrypted by default.  You can set a lock screen code or pattern, as well as a separate one at boot time.  It is pretty much stock android.  There isn't a built in app locker, that I know of, but you can use apps like Smart AppLock for that.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, david said:

The data is encrypted by default.  You can set a lock screen code or pattern, as well as a separate one at boot time.  It is pretty much stock android.  There isn't a built in app locker, that I know of, but you can use apps like Smart AppLock for that.

Speaking of encryption: do you know how to decrypt data partiton in Pro1?

20 minutes ago, Laska said:

Speaking of encryption: do you know how to decrypt data partiton in Pro1?

I'm not aware of a way to decrypt it, but, in theory, decryption can be disabled.  It requires wiping the data partition, however, as part of the process.  It is on my list of things to do, but I haven't done it yet.  The system will also always be trying to re-assert itself and enable the encryption, I believe.  One would need to be careful to not uninstall Magisk and reboot (if using Magisk for the solution), as the storage would again be encrypted by the system, I believe.

Edited by david
7 hours ago, Laska said:

Thank you for answer. I'm on Magisk. When I was starting with Pro1 I was searching for method to not encrypt data partition (for future backups) but cannot find one...

There is no known built-in way to disable encryption (meaning in the UI), that I know of.

I will be trying to do this soon and can post the steps used.

When you say for future backups, what do you mean?  What will you use to do the backups?

1 minute ago, david said:

There is no known built-in way to disable encryption (meaning in the UI), that I know of.

I will be trying to do this soon and can post the steps used.

When you say for future backups, what do you mean?  What will you use to do the backups?

I hope TWRP will eventually appear...

9 minutes ago, Laska said:

I hope TWRP will eventually appear...

So you want to do nandroid backups of /data?  I am hoping to install TWRP too.  One does exist, but can't read /data due to the encryption.

Due to the boot partition and recovery partition being merged into one by google for A/B devices, installing both magisk and TWRP is tricky.  I will be attempting it, but not for a while.  

In the meantime, if you had a way to copy all the files from /data, would that work?

2 minutes ago, david said:

So you want to do nandroid backups of /data?  I am hoping to install TWRP too.  One does exist, but can't read /data due to the encryption.

Due to the boot partition and recovery partition being merged into one by google for A/B devices, installing both magisk and TWRP is tricky.  I will be attempting it, but not for a while.  

In the meantime, if you had a way to copy all the files from /data, would that work?

To be honest, I'm very disapointed with this because when I mess something with system partition I can't just flash system.img because /data is encrypted and I cannot restore it any file from it. Also, I cannot mount /vendor rw (to swap speaker channels) so without custom recovery this phone is little crippled up. Which is sad because I really like this device.

• Like 1

Basically it's a standard Qualcomm device. Meaning that data is encrypted and this cannot be disabled. The method of encryption varies: stock uses FDE while my lineage ROM uses FBE. There is currently no TWRP that can decrypt data but it's on my todo list.

If you mean a locked boot loader, yes it comes locked by default, and can be unlocked.

However, being a device aimed at hobbyists, FxTec chose to disable Secure Boot. Which basically means that you cannot force your device to only run OEM signed code -- it will always allow you to flash a custom ROM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
1 hour ago, Laska said:

To be honest, I'm very disapointed with this because when I mess something with system partition I can't just flash system.img because /data is encrypted and I cannot restore it any file from it. Also, I cannot mount /vendor rw (to swap speaker channels) so without custom recovery this phone is little crippled up. Which is sad because I really like this device.

Nandroid backups are definitely a good thing to have if you want to go back to a particular state, rather than having to go through setup again and restoring some things through various restore methods.  Once a TWRP becomes available that can decrypt the data partition, this particular use case will be possible (without needing to disable encryption).  

2 hours ago, Laska said:

You can flash system without affecting data, this is exactly what OTA updates do. But you do need a PC and adb -- you can't store your system image on the data partition.

The OEM should fix the speaker swap issue. Has that been noted by FxTec?

And for others complaining about backups, you need to do it the way that Google intended ("adb backup" and mtp for media) until a decent TWRP appears. Just an inconvenience, really.

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, tdm said:

You can flash system without affecting data, this is exactly what OTA updates do. But you do need a PC and adb -- you can't store your system image on the data partition.

My reading of that was that he wants the stuff that the system stores in /data to match when he puts a point in time snapshot of system back later, not just his personal data.  I could be wrong, though

51 minutes ago, tdm said:

And for others complaining about backups, you need to do it the way that Google intended ("adb backup" and mtp for media) until a decent TWRP appears. Just an inconvenience, really.

I can get by on TitaniumBackup backups and wireless transfers for media (MTP isn't working well for me).  adb backup, in theory, is a nice idea.  But with so many apps not supporting it, it ends up being a worse solution than using a backup tool (like TB).

adb pull is another option to backup the files in /data, which is why I asked if just having the files on the /data partition would be enough, vs a true image.  

Technically, an exact duplicate of /data should be able to be made with "dd" or adb pull at the device/partition level.  Even if it is encrypted, it could then be put back later.  However, I've read reports of this not resulting in a runnable system after restoring this way.  I'm not sure those were phone specific issues, or due to data corruption in the process, or human error, or something in newer architecture that prevents this from working now.

And to be clear, any complaining on my part isn't directed at you, just the situation. :-)  I appreciate all you are doing.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, tdm said:

The OEM should fix the speaker swap issue. Has that been noted by FxTec?

I'm absolutely not blaming Fxtec, they've done great job with this device.

Yes, I was talking about backup the whole /data partition. In my my case, when I flash clean system.img and boot yhe phone, it asking me for password and I never set any -"deafault_password" also doesn't work. So I have to start setting up my phone from scratch. Besides backups, it will be very good to have abillity to flash and get access to /vendor partition (it is impossible to mount it rw from android).

I've unlocked bootloader and disable Secure Boot. And I'm very thankfull Fxtec choose to let users do this.

To summarize, TWRP would be blessing. 😉 Thank you!

Edited by Laska
  • Like 1