Bluetooth keyboard input lag

EXTERNAL KEYBOARD HELPER https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apedroid.hwkeyboardhelper&hl=en_AU This should fix your issues non-root.

Ensure Choose keyboard layout I have No remapping selected, for bluetooth keyboard selecting a layout may assist.

In Advanced Settings 

Under Keyboard detection (Android 2.3+) Ensure Detect Bluetooth Keyboard is selected

Under Key repeating adjust Key repeat delay to your liking

When typing with the keyboard deployed:

The text entry cursor must be active for text entry.

There will be a little keyboard icon that will show up next to the recent apps button.

Ensure External Keyboard Helper is selected as the default keyboard.

This will actually disable the onscreen keyboard all together.

This also fixes keys repeating in normal use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
57 minutes ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

@ahunter But I don't want to disable my on screen keyboard, I just want input lag to be gone.

Oh, and N-key rollover would be awesome too.

I think that you don't need to. You can record a trigger with Keyboard/Button Mapper when you open keyboard. Then select an action to change virtual keyboard with Keyboard Switch Assistant. Then change back to Gboard or similar when you close leyboard.

So instead of keyboard shotcut use a sliding action as trigger.

7 hours ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

@ahunter But I don't want to disable my on screen keyboard, I just want input lag to be gone.

Oh, and N-key rollover would be awesome too.

It does not permanently disable your onscreen keyboard. It just puts it on a toggle. If you have tried the steps I would be interested in knowing if it fixes the problem when your bluetooth keyboard is connected (I assume no requirement for onscreen when in use. 

Also the auto detect bluetooth keyboard function may switch the handler on and off.

Edited by ahunter
13 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

I think that you don't need to. You can record a trigger with Keyboard/Button Mapper when you open keyboard. Then select an action to change virtual keyboard with Keyboard Switch Assistant. Then change back to Gboard or similar when you close leyboard.

So instead of keyboard shotcut use a sliding action as trigger.

Do you have this operating on a rooted or non rooted phone? 

I can get the trigger to activate, but access to switching the keyboard directly seems to require root access.

2 hours ago, ahunter said:

Do you have this operating on a rooted or non rooted phone? 

I can get the trigger to activate, but access to switching the keyboard directly seems to require root access.

The stock option of Keyboard/Button Mapper requires root but you can use Keyboard Switch Assistant or Keyboard Switcher from Play Store without root.

See more from here 

Edited by FlyingAntero
15 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

The stock option of Keyboard/Button Mapper requires root but you can use Keyboard Switch Assistant or Keyboard Switcher from Play Store without root.

See more from here 

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2557-key-mapper-foss-app-to-bind-keys-buttons-to-other-keys-or-actions/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-45552

External Keyboard Helper has a Switcher Shortcut already, which I am activating with Tasker, Also created a Tasker App. I will have a look at those other options Thanks.

49 minutes ago, ahunter said:

External Keyboard Helper has a Switcher Shortcut already, which I am activating with Tasker, Also created a Tasker App. I will have a look at those other options Thanks.

Here is a guide how you can implement automatic virtual keyboard switch feature without root based on physical keyboard state (open or closed).

Required apps:

1. Enable virtual keyboard from settings

1. Open Settings>System>Language & input>Virtual keyboard
  2. Click "Mange keyboard"
  3. Select 2 keyboards

2. Select virtual keyboards in Keyboard Switch Assistant

1. Open Keyboard Switch Assistant
  2. Click "AUTO SWITCH 2 YOUR FAVOR KEYBOARD!"
  3. Add your primary and secondary keyboard (select only 2)
  4. Then close Keyboard Switch Assistant from the recent apps menu (if you don't close the app, the trigger will open that app when the keyboard is changed)

3. Record triggers ans set actions

1. Open Keyboard/Button Mapper
  2. Make new Keymap
  3. Record opening the keyboard (F6) trigger
  4. Then choose action: App shortcut > Activities (Nova but not Nova action) > Keyboard Switch Assistant > Keyboard Switch Assistant .BlankActivity
  5. Save Keymap
  6. Make new Keymap
  7. Record closing the keyboard (F5) trigger
  8. Then choose action: App shortcut > Activities (Nova but not Nova action) > Keyboard Switch Assistant > Keyboard Switch Assistant .BlankActivity
  9. Save Keymap

Now, every time you open or close the physical keyboard, your virtual keyboard is changed.

1759067102_Screenshot_20200302-1005402.thumb.png.0617f5a85a5b2b168cc7e3d884227a3c.png1642170676_Screenshot_20200302-1006292.thumb.png.f7ab2a6fff8e06bf8ab4ab9d50963257.pngScreenshot_20200302-100558.thumb.png.93033c32d99eeecd2130d1faeb2726ac.png

Edited by FlyingAntero