my custom flip case solution

While we all wait for a production quality case, 3D printed case or some other optimal protection, I had to figure out a case solution that would work for me in order to being using the Pro1 as my primary device.  For me this currently means a flip / book style case until something for covering the screen / top half of the body exists to mate with a bumper that fits the bottom half.

I purchased a lot of cases intended for a Huawei P20 Pro since early testing indicated that was a good fit for the bottom / keyboard half.  The Huawei P20 Pro is overall a thinner device, so more then half of the flip style cases I purchased don't work for the Pro1 because it's thicker.  My initial set of ~15 purchases had two promising candidates, both with a magnetic closure, one without a flap / secure closure (not detailed here) and one with a flap that securely stays closed (featured below).

The flip case I used is this one from ebay.   It's hard to find since I don't know the actual manufacturer or any brand name.  They are all Chinese based sellers (I'm in USA) for delivery takes time.  This is not actually real leather, but I wish it was since for one reason it's already peeling off the cardboard layer.  Since this is my best case so far, I've tried to source more of these intended for other devices like iPhone 11 Pro Max (because of dimensions).  Corona virus isn't making it great for getting anything from China at this point.  It's worth noting that the magnetic flap goes in the opposite direction of most flip cases I've seen; this allows for the flap not to be in the way when you open the keyboard.

I cut off the credit card / wallet area to remove unnecessary bulk.  I removed the thinner original black 'bumper' case that came with the flip case.  My intention was to flip the rotation and also replace it with a better bumper case that is thicker, offers more corner protection, rubbery grip, and happens to be clear to make easier for custom cutouts.  The bumper case I used is a CoverON and can be found on ebay  ex1  ex2.

I made cutouts where needed using a leather punch tool and exacto / utility knife.  I glued the bumper case to the flip case using some very thin double sided tape I got from Amazon.  You may notice that the original flip case was only half glued, but it made more sense to me after doing my rotation that the whole piece should be glued down because the camera placement is now rotated and you don't want the case getting in the way.   I had purchased one of those 2pc front/back gel covers for Huawei P20 Pro and the back piece of one was totally useless, so because I had the room in the flip case, I cut the edges off this useless gel cover and used it to add extra protection for the Pro1 screen.  The added benefit of it is some rubbery grip when you have the flip case opened.  I do have a screen protector for an Elephone U in place, even though I didn't do a great job, it's functional but needs to be replaced at some point.

Many thanks go to @EskeRahn for his early case testing and inspiration.  Now for the pics (case only / no phone installed; case with pro1 installed; CoverON bumper cutouts):

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by KingOfTerrible
  • Like 7

Nice. I too would like to find a good one in leather.

On the glue half part, I think it should be mentioned that

• For those using the back camera and/or LED a lot, it is recommendable to cut a hole, and perhaps glue the whole part (like you did).
  • For those using it less, keeping it un-cut gives a better camera protection, at the price of needing to fold it all the way open to use the camera/LED.

I like you idea of using a better inner bumper case, though to me that would be overkill

The best one  I've found (so far) isn't real leather either.

I have bought several of these £4½ ones allegedly stocked in the UK, sends 'worldwide'. (ADD: A truckload of excluded countries...)
The exact same (same advertising images...) can be found about 15% cheaper directly from China here. (ADD: Another truckload of excluded countries...)

There are not much room left, so I doubt using a thicker bumper will fit in it though, and certainly not an extra screen layer.
On the other hand the end result stays rather compact 157 x 80(+2) x 21 mm , the extra 2mm width is where the magnetic clasps meet at the middle.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I have bought several of these £4½ ones allegedly stocked in the UK, sends worldwide.
The exact same (same advertising images...) can be found about 15% cheaper directly from China here.

Thanks for the link.  The UK one says it doesn't ship to USA, but the China one does.  Last week I started ordering more to try and I ordered this1 and this2 since I couldn't find yours but this seems like a similar clasp at least.

11 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

On the other hand the end result stays rather compact 157 x 80(+2) x 21 mm , the extra 2mm width is where the magnetic clasps meet at the middle.

I didn't think about adding measurements to my original post, but it's a good idea: 162 mm long x 82 mm wide x 26 mm (+2 on clasp area) thick (if you can trust someone who uses imperial system).  The CoverON bumper by itself looks to be 158 mm long x 77 mm wide x 10 mm thick (trying to measure while mounted in flip case).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, KingOfTerrible said:

I ordered this1 and this2

You should include the var= part of an ebay-link ved multiple items, so we can see the right one, e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/233460908295?var=533070924751

The easiest way to get it is to put the right variant in the basket, copy the link, and remove it from the basket again. Or if bought from the order list.

Are you sure about the first link BTW? I see no "P20 Pro"...

5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

You should include the var= part of an ebay-link ved multiple items, so we can see the right one, e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/233460908295?var=533070924751

The easiest way to get it is to put the right variant in the basket, copy the link, and remove it from the basket again. Or if bought from the order list.

Are you sure about the first link BTW? I see no "P20 Pro"...

Sorry I was trying to remove all the extra junk from the address and just get it down to the item number style.  I'll keep it in mind for the future.  yep with that one I ordered a P30 Pro; I know it's not going to come with the right piece to clip the phone into, but my plan was to use the CoverON bumper since gsmarena said this P30 Pro is slightly larger then P20 Pro

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KingOfTerrible said:

Sorry I was trying to remove all the extra junk from the address and just get it down to the item number style.  I'll keep it in mind for the future.  yep with that one I ordered a P30 Pro; I know it's not going to come with the right piece to clip the phone into, but my plan was to use the CoverON bumper since gsmarena said this P30 Pro is slightly larger then P20 Pro

Just a hint, by editing the URL you can do a more accurate filtering than through their UI, e.g I have used this:

https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nHeightMin=153&nHeightMax=155&nWidthMin=73&nWidthMax=74&nThicknessMin=6&nThicknessMax=8

(whole mm only)