Questions about root

I've been wondering if it would be a good idea for me to root my phone at this time, using the Magisk guide at https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2537-magisk-install-step-by-step-root/. I think that I can understand how to root the device, but I can't tell if installing Magisk or some other root utility would prevent me from installing any more OTA updates, especially the update to Q when that is released. It seems that I should be fine, but I just want to ask if installing Magisk on the latest device version would put me at risk of being unable to install any more updates. Thanks, and I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

2 minutes ago, cantthinkofaname said:

I've been wondering if it would be a good idea for me to root my phone at this time, using the Magisk guide at https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2537-magisk-install-step-by-step-root/. I think that I can understand how to root the device, but I can't tell if installing Magisk or some other root utility would prevent me from installing any more OTA updates, especially the update to Q when that is released. It seems that I should be fine, but I just want to ask if installing Magisk on the latest device version would put me at risk of being unable to install any more updates. Thanks, and I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

As long as you follow the instructions and you don't install anything that modifies the system partition, then you should be able to update via OTA.  You just have to be sure to follow the proper steps before and after you do the OTA and don't reboot in between.

• Like 2