Magisk Install - Step by Step [ROOT]

The typical installation method as described on XDA won't work yet on Pro1, because we don't have a fully working version of TWRP yet. 

But never fear, it's still easy, five simple steps and you will have the privileges you so rightfully deserve on your own device.

1. Install Magisk Manager App on Phone

Download from: https://magiskmanager.com/downloading-magisk-manager or github.

After download, install the apk, which will require you to allow the install from "unknown source".

2. Install Android Platform Tools on PC (adb & fastboot)

Ubuntu (and presumably debian): sudo apt install adb

Windows: https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip

Windows/Mac/Linux:  https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

Updated Step 3: Obtain patched boot.img on PC

Obtain boot.img corresponding to your current software version.   2020-01-06 and earlier can be found in here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EHlG9ZWNMimAN55yKDvMUUE_ow-FDznG?usp=sharing

Attach PC to Phone visa USB Cable as described in Step 4, then move the clean copy of boot.img to your phone (I used download folder).  Using the Magisk Manager app on your phone, select 'Install Magisk' to patch the file you just moved.  Finally, transfer the newly created magisk patched img to your PC.   

3. Obtain patched boot.img on PC

Download: https://www76.zippyshare.com/v/d3Sf2iex/file.html

-OR- if you prefer to make it yourself or if my link goes stale, extract boot.img from the stock flashall and transfer it to phone (I used download folder), then use Magisk Manager to patch it, then transfer the patched version back to PC (and delete the boot.img you put on phone as its no longer needed there).

4. Connect Phone to PC with USB Cable

After connecting, you'll see a notification on phone about usb charging mode.  Tap that and change it to file transfer, and give permission to the computer if prompted.

5. Flash Modified Boot image

From PC command prompt, with adb & fastboot  in your path or present working directory, execute the following four commands (example follows below):

adb devices  //this command should return your internal serial number as device; if not, you cannot proceed

adb reboot bootloader  //then wait while your phone reboots to bootloader

fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img  //of course specify full path to magisk_patched.img if its not in pwd

fastboot reboot  //all done

example under ubuntu:

$ adb devices
List of devices attached
de3778ff    device

$ adb reboot bootloader
$ fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'boot_b' (22080 KB)...
OKAY [  0.870s]
writing 'boot_b'...
OKAY [  0.193s]
finished. total time: 1.063s
$ fastboot reboot
rebooting...
	finished. total time: 0.151s

6. Profit

What you do now is up to you.  Any app (including su from a shell) that requests root privileges will generate a popup asking you to permit/deny root.   I recommend using Magisk Manager to install the systemless hosts module (to support Adaway) and if you use Youtube, use Magisk Manger to to download Youtube Vanced (which requires uninstalling all Youtube updates and disabling further auto-updates to it in Google Play).  Then of course install Adaway from f-droid. 

Notes - I did this on my device with the 10December2019 software update installed.  Have not confirmed I can still accept OTA.  Passes Safetynet. Minimal Ads.

Credit to LinkAndZelda for first applying and describing this method for Pro1.

Edit: if anyone follows this step by step, let me know if I missed anything or should add more detail to anything not clear for newbies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 16
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The typical installation method as described on XDA won't work yet on Pro1, because we don't have a fully working version of TWRP yet.  But never fear, it's still easy, five simple steps and you

For those getting their devices and wanting to root now, the recommended procedure has changed!     This method should allow you to take future OTA updates keeping root using the A/B method link

If someone need - i upload to google drive stock versions of  boot.img, backuped by Magisk from all versions i had:  - 20191028 - 20191111 - 20191129 - 20191210 - 20200106

Posted Images

see also this https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

Android SDK Platform-Tools is a component for the Android SDK. It includes tools that interface with the Android platform, such as adb, fastboot, and systrace. These tools are required for Android app development. They're also needed if you want to unlock your device bootloader and flash it with a new system image.

Although some new features in these tools are available only for recent versions of Android, the tools are backward compatible, so you need only one version of the SDK Platform-Tools.

Downloads

If you're an Android developer, you should get the latest SDK Platform-Tools from Android Studio's SDK Manager or from the sdkmanager command-line tool. This ensures the tools are saved to the right place with the rest of your Android SDK tools and easily updated.

But if you want just these command-line tools, use the following links:

• Download SDK Platform-Tools for Windows
  • Download SDK Platform-Tools for Mac
  • Download SDK Platform-Tools for Linux

Although these links do not change, they always point to the most recent version of the tools.

(You can't click the downloads in the quote, clicking in the source  leads you to some licence blah blah first)

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

A few years ago, i wouldn't have touched a mobile device without root. Then I got the BlackBerry PRIV which was unrootable (and, advertised as the most secure smartphone in the world, it stopped to get security updates only a few weeks after I bought it).

Around that time, more and more essential (to me) apps began to detect root and not run on a rooted device, so I didn't even bother anymore when I replaced the PRIV with the next phone. (Which, to somewhat complete the story which I'm sure I already told elsewhere in this forum, was a Moto Z, right after I had been reading about the first Keyboard Mod preproduction samples having been shipped, which I had backed as soon as I heard about it – just to feel slightly stupid a few weeks later for having sold the PRIV at what then had turned out to be prematurely.)

In the meantime, I had heard that there were ways to easily switch phones between rooted and unrooted states, and also ways to somehow "hide" root. Actually, in the context of this thread, there seems to be something called "Magisk Hide Root" to serve this purpose.

So, is there a good chance to get a fully working device these days, meaning with all apps working, without having to do without root? 

I'm certainly having no problems with Magisk (first time using.  My previous experience has been with SuperSU),  Safetynet is good, no complaints from my bank app, Netflix works.

The only thing that remins untested is taking OTAs.  Have to wait for an OTA... 😉

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, Hook said:

The only thing that remins untested is taking OTAs.  Have to wait for an OTA... 😉

That is the only thing I am worry about... I would like to hear what to do to keep OTA working while I have root access on the phone.
(Currently my phone is not rooted yet.)

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

A few years ago, i wouldn't have touched a mobile device without root. Then I got the BlackBerry PRIV which was unrootable (and, advertised as the most secure smartphone in the world, it stopped to get security updates only a few weeks after I bought it).

...when I replaced the PRIV with the next phone.  ...just to feel slightly stupid a few weeks later for having sold the PRIV at what then had turned out to be prematurely.)

I'm still in the "if it's not rooted, I don't use it" camp.  LOS has the ability to turn on and off rooting with a switch (although some claim issues with using it, but I've only needed to once and it worked well).

As far as the PRIV is concerned, no reason to feel stupid for selling it, I couldn't stand it and couldn't get rid of it fast enough!  Then again, I was used to Motorola Droids and landscape physical keyboards, but still, as I see it, no sale of the PRIV could be considered premature.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Polaris said:

I'm still in the "if it's not rooted, I don't use it" camp.  LOS has the ability to turn on and off rooting with a switch (although some claim issues with using it, but I've only needed to once and it worked well).

As far as the PRIV is concerned, no reason to feel stupid for selling it, I couldn't stand it and couldn't get rid of it fast enough!  Then again, I was used to Motorola Droids and landscape physical keyboards, but still, as I see it, no sale of the PRIV could be considered premature.

I see your point 😉 – I kept fighting with the portrait style keyboard all time, too, but it was still better than no keyboard at all. Except from that, I found the device itself to be beautifully made...

Thanks for the hint regarding LOS.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, VaZso said:

I would like to hear what to do to keep OTA working while I have root access on the phone.

i haven't personally tested as I was waiting for the next ota to test, but in another thread someone reported having to reflash stock boot.img, take ota, then reflash magisk patched img.   Slightly inconvenient, but not a showstopper, at this point.

The potential problem is when ota includes a new kernel (new boot.img), unless we're provided with a new flashall, or twrp includes decryption by then, we'll be stuck (unless it's possible to intercept the boot.img from the ota).

So, new OTA update today and installation fails.  Lol.  I sort of knew the fastest way to get an OTA published was for me to root.  Now I have to figure out what I need to do.  I suspect I have to flash old boot.img.  Probably need to uninstall Magisk first.  @Craig @netman or anyone else, any advice?

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Hook said:

So, new OTA update today and installation fails.  Lol.  I sort of knew the fastest way to get an OTA published was for me to root.  Now I have to figure out what I need to do.  I suspect I have to flash old boot.img.

I am curious what is the simplest method - still not rooted, so I just watching what you find as the best solution.

Anyway, what may be the problem of OTA updater? Does it check if boot partition is intact prior update?
I think the best possible behaviour would be if it would do the update also if boot partition has been modified, then user may re-root it after upgrade...
...so it looks to be a bit strange or I don't really understand what the problem is here...

Edited by VaZso

The problem (as I understand it-- and I may not) is that Magisk requires a patched boot image.  I can flash the old boot.image and then take the OTA, but there might be changes to the boot image in the OTA. If so, I can't reroot until there is  new patched version of the boot.img.  For now, I'm going to stay rooted and watch reports on the OTA and let some smarter folks sort this out.  😉

Exactly.  If you take the new OTA (which will require first flashing boot.img from fxtec's flashall), it is suggested not to re-root (with the magisk patched image I shared) until a new patched boot.img is available, because the latest OTA may contain a newer boot.img than fxtec's original flashall.

This will become available once FxTec provides an updated flashall, or someone figures out how to interecept it from the OTA, at which time we'll update this thread with new patched boot image.

So if root is critical to you, just wait.

53 minutes ago, Craig said:

Exactly.  If you take the new OTA (which will require first flashing boot.img from fxtec's flashall), it is suggested not to re-root (with the magisk patched image I shared) until a new patched boot.img is available, because the latest OTA may contain a newer boot.img than fxtec's original flashall.

This will become available once FxTec provides an updated flashall, or someone figures out how to interecept it from the OTA, at which time we'll update this thread with new patched boot image.

So if root is critical to you, just wait.

It's not critical to me.  Mostly just nice to have.  I do have some Titanium backups on my SD card now if I do anything requiring a wipe.  I'm mostly waiting for LOS and TWRP to be ready for prime time.

• Like 3

I think I may end up with LOS in the end too, but I do want stock to be good out of the box.

Anyways I've extracted the new boot.img from the ota payload, and just need to patch it with magisk manager.   Unfrotunately, I'm running sailfishos right now so need someone else to do that...   I've put the unpatched new boot image here:  https://www102.zippyshare.com/v/vdReLyxO/file.html

Will update this thread with a patched version soon as I can find someone to do it (hint hint Hook).

update: magisk wouldn't patch it.  unsure why.  maybe I extracted wrong. 

Edited by Craig
update
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Craig said:

44 minutes ago, Craig said:

Anyways I've extracted the new boot.img from the ota payload, and just need to patch it with magisk manager. 

For anyone else wanting to be able to intercept OTAs, here is what I've posted before. 

https://www.thecustomdroid.com/how-to-capture-ota-update-url-android/

At least one person was able to use the directions to get the URL:

And here are the directions on how to flash it, in theory.   The problem is that users have reported that we don't have a real recovery with the Pro1 and I'm not sure if TWRP is to the state where it can do this either.

https://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-install-ota-updates-manually-using-recovery-and-adb-sideload/

And no idea what this would do to the Magisk install if someone was able to flash through this method.

• Like 2

Hrm. When I applied the OTA updates earlier, I did so with the following procedure: (previously discussed in this thread:

)

1. flash the stock boot.img (this removes root)

2. flash the stock system.img (this was necessary because I had apparently modified something in /system. You may not need this if you have not)

3. Apply the OTA updates

4. flash a modified boot.img to root again. The one I used was the one provided above, in *this* thread.

It is very possible that this reverts some of the OTA updates... I can't tell. The version reported by android did show the latest after this procedure. Ideally, we could somehow get an up-to-date patched boot.img.

2 hours ago, zurvan2 said:

It is very possible that this reverts some of the OTA updates... I can't tell. The version reported by android did show the latest after this procedure. Ideally, we could somehow get an up-to-date patched boot.img.

This is a very minor update fixing a keyboard issue, so highly doubt it affects anything that deep. I Was wrong, @zurvan2 checked.

Wel... my understanding is that boot.img contains the kernel and ramdisk. Aren't hardware drivers part of that?

I'm trying to chase down mechanisms to extract the OTA updates, or at least get enough information from them to determine *if* they modify boot.img.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, zurvan2 said:

Hrm. When I applied the OTA updates earlier, I did so with the following procedure: (previously discussed in this thread:

)

1. flash the stock boot.img (this removes root)

2. flash the stock system.img (this was necessary because I had apparently modified something in /system. You may not need this if you have not)

3. Apply the OTA updates

4. flash a modified boot.img to root again. The one I used was the one provided above, in *this* thread.

In my recent adventure resulting in my having to start from scratch, this didn't work, but I can't be sure that, in mucking around, I ended up doing something myself to mke this procedure not work.  However, I tried unrooting by flashing the original boot.img andthe OTA failed.  I then flashed the original system.img and it still didn't take the OTA.  What's more, when I tried to return to root by flashing the modified boot.img, Magisk acted like it wasn't installed.  So I wasn't rooted and I couldn't take OTAs.  So I finally restored the original boot.img and system.img and erased userdata.  Booted up fresh and new with having to set up Android with my google account again, nice and clean and... the OTS failed!  After a couple of partial restores  (which resulted in running into the request for a password that doesn't exist yet) I finally just reloaded the entire original factory file set.  I set up new again and was able to apply all four updates.

Lol.  Coming from Nexuses, TWRP and WUG's wonderful Nexus Root Toolkit, these maneuvers were way above my pay grade.  Luckily I had helped and I managed to learn a lot. I can't swear that some of the problems were from my thrashing about.  Next time I will try your steps in a more organized fashion.  But the impression I was left with, whether accurate or not, is that Magisk messes with more than the boot.img and system.img.  Again, maybe it was me and not Magisk, but I don't think anything else I had would be messing with the partitions.  But one more time, it just may have been me. 😉

For now I'm staying unrooted, stock, but I know I'll eventually play with root again.  I'd love having a solid, working TWRP and a ready for prime time LOS first.

• Like 1