New Pro1, best way to get LineageOS + root?

Just got my new Pro1, software is untouched, trying to find the best way to install LineageOS and root the phone. Been doing a lot of research and my head is getting sore, I'm sure my day at work didn't help...any suggestions?

From what I've found so far, the unofficial TWRP 3.3.1 is a bad idea except for installing SailfishOS, and Magisk seems to be the best solution for rooting. I'd like to keep FDE or FBE capability.

Edit: I should add that I also want to be able to permit or deny root permissions to individual apps.

Edited by GameboyRMH

Followed the instructions, LOS is installed, but even after sideloading the addonsu arm64 .zip directly after sideloading the lineageOS .zip, I don't have root access - the only options available for root access in developer options are "ADB only" and "disabled."

Edit: Installed it a 2nd time independently of any other installation and it worked, I guess you should reboot between sideloading LOS and addonsu.

Edited by GameboyRMH
43 minutes ago, GameboyRMH said:

Followed the instructions, LOS is installed, but even after sideloading the addonsu arm64 .zip directly after sideloading the lineageOS .zip, I don't have root access - the only options available for root access in developer options are "ADB only" and "disabled."

Edit: Installed it a 2nd time independently of any other installation and it worked, I guess you should reboot between sideloading LOS and addonsu.

You *always* needĀ  to reboot to recovery after sideloading LOS so that recovery can switch the slots.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 3

Having another problem now, even though the apps root option can be selected and I can run "su" in a terminal successfully, root access still doesn't seem to be entirely working. Busybox install fails to remount /system as rw, and the Root Verifier app says "ROOT PERMISSION NOT GRANTED OR SUPERUSER APP MISSING" and then "BUSYBOX NOT INSTALLED OR NOT SYMLINKED" (of course). It then shows the superuser app as "16cm-su", any ideas?

Edit: Looks like the busybox install failure is a known issue: https://github.com/meefik/busybox/issues/78

Workaround for busybox install here: https://github.com/meefik/busybox/issues/93

Edited by GameboyRMH
58 minutes ago, GameboyRMH said:

Having another problem now, even though the apps root option can be selected and I can run "su" in a terminal successfully, root access still doesn't seem to be entirely working. Busybox install fails to remount /system as rw, and the Root Verifier app says "ROOT PERMISSION NOT GRANTED OR SUPERUSER APP MISSING" and then "BUSYBOX NOT INSTALLED OR NOT SYMLINKED" (of course). It then shows the superuser app as "16cm-su", any ideas?

Edit: Looks like the busybox install failure is a known issue: https://github.com/meefik/busybox/issues/78

Workaround for busybox install here: https://github.com/meefik/busybox/issues/93

I've never used Busybox, and I don't actually play around with the root folders (which is why I never noticed), but Root Explorer, despite having root, will not remount /root as r/w.Ā  As you say, most other app level root functions work fine (SU in terminal, TB backups, etc).Ā 

• Like 2

Now running into the problem of getting "'/dev/root' is read-only" when trying to remount / as rw, I need to do this to make /system writable so I can install busybox, anyone know if there's a way to do this?

Edit: Found a solution:

Through ADB on a running phone:

adb root
adb disable-verity
adb remount

Then you can remount / at the terminal, in this case I then ran the busybox installer with modified scripts and got it working!

Edited by GameboyRMH
  • 5 months later...

Went to upgradeĀ  and once again found that Lineage has dropped support for the device+OS combo I was running, and since I didn't download a build before it was purged from their site, I now can't upgrade within that configuration at all. So I'm now forced to upgrade to LineageOS 17, or the experimental 18 build. Has anyone been able to root these? Or does anyone have one of the last lineageos16 builds by any chance?