USB PD (power delivery)?

17 minutes ago, alx said:

Does the Pro1-X (or the Pro1) support charging from USB PD devices/chargers?  Which version(s) of USB PD does it support (if any)?

Chen wrote the following in Indiegogo comments:

Liangchen Chen 5 days ago

PROJECT OWNER
USB-PD is confirmed to be supported. It comes with the SoC configuration roughly at 18W.

So it seems Pro1-X will have support for USB-PD if everything go right.

If it can be enabled in Pro1 is a good question, maybe it is a question of how complicated it is but currently Pro1 does not support USB-PD.

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, VaZso said:

Chen wrote the following in Indiegogo comments:

So it seems Pro1-X will have support for USB-PD if everything go right.

If it can be enabled in Pro1 is a good question, maybe it is a question of how complicated it is but currently Pro1 does not support USB-PD.

OH! 😮  Very surprised! So does this mean a Pro1-X is NOT just a Pro1 in blue with different memory/storage option? Now I'm getting very curious on whether this is just a software update away, or there are other hardware differences???

The roughly 18W is what we currently get by the QC 3.0 BTW

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

OH! 😮  Very surprised! So does this mean a Pro1-X is NOT just a Pro1 in blue with different memory/storage option? Now I'm getting very curious on whether this is just a software update away, or there are other hardware differences???

I haven't found a technical datasheet but it may be a software configuration during boot or also a hardware configuration which may need a minor modification like pulling a pin up or down or keep floating.

So currently it is an open question. 🙂

11 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

The roughly 18W is what we currently get by the QC 3.0 BTW

Right but having support of another protocol sounds really great if it is possible to support both at the same time.

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, VaZso said:

I haven't found a technical datasheet but it may be a software configuration during boot or also a hardware configuration which may need a minor modification like pulling a pin up or down or keep floating.

If we look at the data sheet on BOTH the FxTec pro1-page and the indiegogo it says "USB-PD Enabled", Note that it is under connectivity not battery like the QC3.0.
So maybe they enabled it in a software update without telling us.... I'm pretty sure it has been discussed in here NOT being supported earlier....

But will get a PD charger to test it ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

If we look at the data sheet on BOTH the FxTec pro1-page and the indiegogo it says "USB-PD Enabled"

Thanks, I haven't noticed it and I am also sure it was not supported earlier.

However, it seems they have added it and that means it was solved in software without hardware modifications.

I have a power supply and also a power bank which supports PD but they also support QC3.0 so I can not really check it using them... 🙂

Edited by VaZso
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

If we look at the data sheet on BOTH the FxTec pro1-page and the indiegogo it says "USB-PD Enabled", Note that it is under connectivity not battery like the QC3.0.
So maybe they enabled it in a software update without telling us.... I'm pretty sure it has been discussed in here NOT being supported earlier....

But will get a PD charger to test it ....

Snapdragon 835 supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 4.0 (which supports USB-PD) so maybe QC 4.0 can be enabled via software. It could be just a licencing thing?

Unlike Quick Charge 3.0, 4.0 is fully complaint with USB Type-C protocols, including USB Power Delivery, and Qualcomm says it is also compliant with Google’s new specifications for Type-C charging.

I just tested my Pro1 with USB-PD charger and the phone said that it was charging fast... BUT only if I plugged the cable right way. If I rotated the cable 180 degrees it didn't charge at all.

So, I tested with the original charger that came with Pro1. (I haven't been using It for a while). It was only charging normally (no fast charging) but after many tries (plugging and unplugging) I was able to get fast charging activated once. I checked if there was some dirt in the port but I could not see anything. Anyway, I will try compressed air later.

Also, I noticed that HDMI output was not working anymore. The display recognizes the phone but the display says that there is no signal and I should check the power delivery. Same display was working earlier.

Sadly, I have to say that the USB port on my Pro1 may be broken. I will give a chance to compressed air but I don't have high hopes 😕

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1