Generic keyboard layout and stickers with backlight support

I just converted a classic AZERTY keyboard to the new AZERTY keyboard layout using stickers from tastaturaufkleber.eu.
I'm really impressed with the quality of those stickers. They also claimed they are compatible with backlite keyboards so I tried them on such keyboard and they indeed let some of the light through. It's very impressive. Also the white prints are so bright anyway they are very readable.

It would be great if we could get the guys at tastaturaufkleber.eu to do stickers for our beloved Pro1s.
It would be even better if we could get FxTec to provide empty keyboard prints with translucent keys, half white, half yellow and black borders specially designed to receive custom layout stickers from tastaturaufkleber.eu.

image.png.eea0ff37fc955008d6fabc408d9138d5.png

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1

Certainly an interesting idea. Though it will be much harder to provide good stickers for the smaller keys, simply due to the lesser surface area for the adhesive.
And they need to be elastic too, or mounted with some heating to handle the convex curvature of the keys.

On a standard keyboard with concave tops each time we press at the normal centre of the key, it would press the sticker firmer on. Not so on convex keys like the Pro1 where the stickers would have a natural tendency to loosen at the edges.

I see that a few keys were without the need of stickers, so if they were provided too, or the stickers had a frame on the sheet, you could try to cut one and place on one of the Pro1 keys for a couple of weeks, to see if it will stay on.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I see that a few keys were without the need of stickers, so if they were provided too, or the stickers had a frame on the sheet, you could try to cut one and place on one of the Pro1 keys for a couple of weeks, to see if it will stay on.

I’d love to test that but I just put the last three stickers on 😏 I did not put them at first cause that keyboard has a non standard num-lock functionality and those keys could be used to calibrate yourself when using it. But it turns out those stickers look that good I wanted to have them on anyway. Truth is I'm hardly ever using that num-lock since I have a keypad on the side.

Also no frame on the stickers sheet. image.thumb.png.76783e59eee9bee98d785f5918ee74fd.png

4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

On a standard keyboard with concave tops each time we press at the normal centre of the key, it would press the sticker firmer on. Not so on convex keys like the Pro1 where the stickers would have a natural tendency to loosen at the edges.

It feels like those stickers should stay in place on the Pro1 keys providing that you clean the keyboard properly before putting them on. But you have a good point, the convex keys could prove more challenging and stickers could slide off more easily indeed.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1