How to setup the phone without accepting google's ToS

44 minutes ago, brunoais said:

That's annoying because, IMO, their ToS is quite bad...

I haven't read it, but guess it in many words says "We will track you, and steal all your data, without asking again, and you have to pay for the data transfer doing so".

• Haha 4
35 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I haven't read it, but guess it in many words says "We will track you, and steal all your data, without asking again, and you have to pay for the data transfer doing so".

That's the incomplete summary...

Android 6's google ToS was tolerable (closer to what you quote). Now it's even worse.

They actively track and they remotely access the phone to gather data to "improve our services". Things such as wireless SSIDs at all points and correlate with GPS, even if it's set as "turned off" (because, "🤯" turning location off, doesn't really turn GPS off  "🤯". Only revokes non-privileged apps access to location). Same for wifi. Turning it off doesn't really turn it off anymore. Just reduces its use for privileged apps only which connects and disconnects on-demand. The only way to disconnect from networks (since Android 9? temporarily) is airplane mode. It only really works for some hours, though. After some hours, privileged apps can access network on-demand if they decide to (and they do).

These are privileged apps in stock Android I can remember (there's also system apps but I don't remember those):

1. Google
  2. Google Play Services
  3. Google Play Store

It's like a double-edged sword for these new ToS...

Oh! It also tells that whatever power (energy) is used by the phone and whatever it does on its own that is against the laws is not their problem
E.g. smartphone trying to connect to cell tower on its own because a privileged app decided to, even if it's officially in airplane mode (note that this example is not in their ToS)

Edited by brunoais
Improved readability
  • Sad 1

So you are saying that we actually need to open the phones and add some contacts to disconnect the WiFi and GPS antennas when WE do not use them.... YIKES!!
I knew they were crooks, but not that it was THAT bad... 🤬 It is what I would expect from the scrupleless fruit company.

Basically... If you want to enforce it, yes.

This kind of bad behavior doesn't happen in AOSP. However, if the OS installed is certified, it must have the extra apps (AKA gApps) (system and the non-system I listed above) which do those bad behavior.

That's also how, if you are doing something you don't want google to know, use a faraday cage or leave the phone at home. Actually, the microphone can be turned on at any time privileged apps want (so... That's that).

But yeah... "Daddy google" makes sure to take good care of you. 🤮

All of that together is part of the major reason why I want an alternative to Google's Android. Not only it will use way less battery, I won't have "Daddy google" after me.

If there's shutoff buttons, the most important one is actually the microphone, not the camera. The mic gives way more information than the camera. A camera is usually obstructed, out of focus, lack of light, etc... Too. The mic is usually much more free and captures a lot of mixed information.

Edited by brunoais
  • Sad 1

Thanks.

Both Google and the fruit company are crooks!!
I got an ancient Iphone 6, That I played around with a few days ago, and the funny thing is that if you try to turn it "off", it drains from fully charged to 0% in less than a day. If you keep it "On" and just let it go into the normal standby, it's consumption is roughly 20% per day!!!! So God NSA only knows what they are wasting my battery for when "Off"!!! Maybe it is not NSA, but just aPple that want to completely deplete the battery to better shorten its lifespan?

• Like 1

Yes. That's why we need to support the projects that grab the open-source bases (E.g. AOSP) and turn them into OS of the community and for the community!

Additionally, hooray for f-droid!

Edited by brunoais