Mimicking Nokias keyboard modifier behaviour

I got used to a certain mechanic that worked very well for me with Nokias Anna/Belle system on my E7.

"Sticky" modifier key - for example : I'd like to press Shift first and then a letter to make it capital. Same with the diacritics - first "Alt" (or whatever, the up arrow button) and then the letter.

Does any know if it's possible to replicate it in Android?

I'm currently using FinQwerty to support my language for physical keyboard if it makes any difference.

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2022 at 7:31 PM, aquaz said:

I got used to a certain mechanic that worked very well for me with Nokias Anna/Belle system on my E7.

"Sticky" modifier key - for example : I'd like to press Shift first and then a letter to make it capital. Same with the diacritics - first "Alt" (or whatever, the up arrow button) and then the letter.

Does any know if it's possible to replicate it in Android?

I'm currently using FinQwerty to support my language for physical keyboard if it makes any difference.

Having been a long time E7 user myself (in particular since 2011 until the arrival of Pro1x one month ago 😉 ), I was searching for such a solution as well. I asked the FinQwerty author about possibility of sticky keys support in FinQwerty and he mentioned that this support would need to be provided by FxTec - quoting his response:

---------------------

Regarding sticky modifier keys:
On Android, the modifiers become sticky if the keyboard is declared as type ALPHA in the base .kcm file. However, on Pro1 the keyboard is declared as type FULL so sticky modifiers are not enabled. Sounds like the same is true for Pro1 X.
See https://source.android.com/docs/core/input/key-character-map-files#keyboard-type-declaration
Unfortunately this type cannot be changed in kcm overlays provided by APKs (unless things have changed, it has been a while since I last checked).
So it is up to Fxtec to change the type and get sticky modifiers working.

--------------------

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, xhajt03 said:

Having been a long time E7 user myself (in particular since 2011 until the arrival of Pro1x one month ago 😉 ), I was searching for such a solution as well. I asked the FinQwerty author about possibility of sticky keys support in FinQwerty and he mentioned that this support would need to be provided by FxTec - quoting his response:

---------------------

Regarding sticky modifier keys:
On Android, the modifiers become sticky if the keyboard is declared as type ALPHA in the base .kcm file. However, on Pro1 the keyboard is declared as type FULL so sticky modifiers are not enabled. Sounds like the same is true for Pro1 X.
See https://source.android.com/docs/core/input/key-character-map-files#keyboard-type-declaration
Unfortunately this type cannot be changed in kcm overlays provided by APKs (unless things have changed, it has been a while since I last checked).
So it is up to Fxtec to change the type and get sticky modifiers working.

--------------------

Would be awesome if FxTec could offer a setting selecting Full and Alpha, would be totally acceptable if a reboot was required after changing. With a switch people can choose what they prefer. IMHO both have their Pros and Cons, so would be great if each user could choose what matches our needs best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3