Lost spell checking (red lines) with Lineage

So, out of the blue I lost the red lines under misspelled words. Likewise, if I click on a word that I know to be misspelled, no suggestions come up. 

When I go into Settings, System, Languages & Input, under "Input Assistance" I see "Spell checker" which says "Not Selected."  When I click on it I see a grayed out "Languages, Not Selected" (despite having English - United States selected elsewhere), and "Default spell checker" (which is black and selectable), but also says "Not selected."  When I click it I see a pop-up which is titled "Choose spell checker," but the rest of it is blank without any options to select.

Any ideas as to how to re-enable the checker?

38 minutes ago, TechLvr said:

So, out of the blue I lost the red lines under misspelled words. Likewise, if I click on a word that I know to be misspelled, no suggestions come up. 

When I go into Settings, System, Languages & Input, under "Input Assistance" I see "Spell checker" which says "Not Selected."  When I click on it I see a grayed out "Languages, Not Selected" (despite having English - United States selected elsewhere), and "Default spell checker" (which is black and selectable), but also says "Not selected."  When I click it I see a pop-up which is titled "Choose spell checker," but the rest of it is blank without any options to select.

Any ideas as to how to re-enable the checker?

What version of Lineage and is this straight up Lineage or MicroG or some such?  I don't have what you describe (my spell checker is working fine).  I got to Settings, System, Languages & Input, and I have no "Input Assistance."  I have a section of the Languages & Input screen called tools and in that section it lists Spell Checker which identifies it as Android Spell Checker (AOSP).

Edited by Hook

I believe @TechLvr is using my (LOS16) rom. Therein, the respective section under "System > Languages & Input" is indeed called "Input assistance".

In my case, the spell-checker panel looks like this:

Screenshot_20221206-020312_Settings.thumb.png.2ea37460b9dace595899141937ebae1f.png

Where I have several "System languages" selected under "Languages & input":

Screenshot_20221206-020539_Settings.thumb.png.c098e55ab7513ba03982f5803769d82f.png

During typing one can then switch between those on-the-fly using the "globe" icon on the on-screen keyboard, or using "FxTec+Space" on the HW keyboard.

Did you install any alternative keyboard apps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Claude is correct, I am using his LOS 16 ROM. He has done a great job maintaining it!

This has been very frustrating, but I have finally solved the problem. For reference, I removed Swiftkey and reselected the AOSP keyboard and it roared back to life. Have no idea why because, as far as I can tell, while Swiftkey has word prediction, it uses Android's dictionary (system and user). I then reinstalled Swiftkey and it continued working. Again, I don't know what caused it, but this fixed it.

Just like in Claude's screenshot, mine now says "Use system languages" under Languages, and "Android Spell Checker (AOSP)" under Default spell checker.

Fingers crossed it stays active and working.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TechLvr said:

Thanks guys. Claude is correct, I am using his LOS 16 ROM. He has done a great job maintaining it!

This has been very frustrating, but I have finally solved the problem. For reference, I removed Swiftkey and reselected the AOSP keyboard and it roared back to life. Have no idea why because, as far as I can tell, while Swiftkey has word prediction, it uses Android's dictionary (system and user). I then reinstalled Swiftkey and it continued working. Again, I don't know what caused it, but this fixed it.

Just like in Claude's screenshot, mine now says "Use system languages" under Languages, and "Android Spell Checker (AOSP)" under Default spell checker.

Fingers crossed it stays active and working.

Glad it worked out.  Recommend you fill in your device and OS version to appear under your user name.  The instructions are pinned to the top of the forum.  It really helps provide context for answering questions.  :)

Edited by Hook
  • Like 2