Pro1X, NFC: How to hold the chipped German Personalausweis (identity card) to read it

This is how it should work, blue shows the position of the chip. The right edge of the portrait image should roughly align with the left edge of the phone (perhaps a bit difficult to judge from the image due to the shooting angle...). 

P1010867.thumb.jpg.9abb4c327c0b3bfb01c80a616beffeb1.jpg

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1

From your photo you have the sensor close to he centre of the card.

I'm not sure of the exact position of the reader on the Pro1X, but somewhere near the camera towards the logo,

In general these cards got antennas covering a larger part (or all) the area. Some layouts more strange than others(!), and some can be really tricky to position 'right'...

I do not know these German cards, but you should be able to see where the antennas are, holding it against a strong light source (e.g. to a window a sunny day), I added a few examples in another thread here. where a bank card is really weird...
In that thread it is discussed that it can be much harder to get a read by the Pro1X than the Pro1, for some reason.

Yeah, I aleady found it hard to read the id card with the Pro1, but it was even more tricky with the Pro1X. After visually locating the sensor in the card and having an approximate idea about the position of the phone's chip, it worked out. Given how precisely they need to be aligned, I should be able to determine the chip's position in the phone pretty well, too. 

12 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

Yeah, I aleady found it hard to read the id card with the Pro1, but it was even more tricky with the Pro1X. After visually locating the sensor in the card and having an approximate idea about the position of the phone's chip, it worked out. Given how precisely they need to be aligned, I should be able to determine the chip's position in the phone pretty well, too. 

As I said, usually the antenna is much larger than the chip, try to put some light through the card, start around the chip, and you should be able to see the 'wiring'.

But it might be like my bankcard where the sensor must be just on the border between the section covered by four and by one winding of the antenna loop - I have no idea why though, just empirically found out that was the case... I can move it along the border, but just 1mm in or out and it fails. So I guess it somehow needs two or three windings with this type, and will not communicate with neither one nor four 🤪

• 3 months later...
On 3/19/2023 at 11:33 AM, EskeRahn said:

But it might be like my bankcard where the sensor must be just on the border between the section covered by four and by one winding of the antenna loop - I have no idea why though, just empirically found out that was the case... I can move it along the border, but just 1mm in or out and it fails. So I guess it somehow needs two or three windings with this type, and will not communicate with neither one nor four 🤪

Not sure how to do that...

The chip itself is at the blue rectangle, the antenna though surrounds the whole card with four parallel loops less than 1mm apart. Inner and outer loop end right at the chip (coming from above).

There are two more lines going down from the chip and ending without any connection.

I only once was able to read it. Seems like also apple has some issues with German Personalausweis:

https://communities.apple.com/de/thread/254517935

They recommend to align the chip and the phones chip as close as possible.spacer.png

Edit: Here is an image of the NFC Antenna

IMG_20230715_094602.jpg

Edited by Jormsen
10 minutes ago, Jormsen said:

This seems to be the antenna design of the German Personalausweis:

I guess this whole thread is just a particular case of the more general one here.

You might want to experiment with this really really odd hint, of actively reducing the signal...