USB file transfer option dead, but PTP works

I plugged the 1x into a Windows 10 PC to grab some files from it, which is something I rarely do, and probably have not done since I reflashed to the stock GMS-less ROM.  So there have doubtless been some Windows updates since then.

Now I can't select "USB file transfer" on the 1x and get any connection to the PC. Device Manager on the PC shows a USB Composite Device with the error, "This device cannot start. (Code 10). A device which does not exist was specified."

I then tried an "ADB devices" command, but no connnection.

Then I selected USB PTP on the 1x, and like magic it connects, and the PC allows browsing of the DCIM and Pictures folders on the 1x, and "adb devices" behaves normally.

I can't browse other folders of the 1x, though, in PTP mode. I suppose I could pull and push files with adb, which is painful by comparison.

Anyone else have this going on?

i tried all the usual suggestions, eg. uninstalling the driver, reinstalling a Qualcom USB driver, different cable, Win 7 PC with USB 2.0 ports. Always the same outcome.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Name_not_avail said:

I plugged the 1x into a Windows 10 PC to grab some files from it, which is something I rarely do, and probably have not done since I reflashed to the stock GMS-less ROM.  So there have doubtless been some Windows updates since then.

Now I can't select "USB file transfer" on the 1x and get any connection to the PC. Device Manager on the PC shows a USB Composite Device with the error, "This device cannot start. (Code 10). A device which does not exist was specified."

I then tried an "ADB devices" command, but no connnection.

Then I selected USB PTP on the 1x, and like magic it connects, and the PC allows browsing of the DCIM and Pictures folders on the 1x, and "adb devices" behaves normally.

I can't browse other folders of the 1x, though, in PTP mode. I suppose I could pull and push files with adb, which is painful by comparison.

Anyone else have this going on?

i tried all the usual suggestions, eg. uninstalling the driver, reinstalling a Qualcom USB driver, different cable, Win 7 PC with USB 2.0 ports. Always the same outcome.

Thanks.

Mine does fine... Win 10, USB 3.0 hub. I can browse both internal memory and the SD card folders.  This is with stock Android 11 (non-beta) that it came with, Google and all.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Name_not_avail said:

Thank you. Based on your reply, I tried it on a PC with a pretty fresh install of W11, USB 3.0, and no history of USB phone connections at all.

Worked fine.

Must be some weird driver issue with the W10 and W7 boxes.

Thanks!

Glad you got it working. Could also be a port issue, from the flashing we know that it is often easier to get it working with usb 2.0 than 3.0, or with a usb hub. Personally I was completely unable to flash with my Lenovo Yoga (model "20XY") directly, from any port, but attaching it to a Usb 3.0 port on my Lenovo Thunderbird 4.0 hub, works flawlessly. I have no idea what the real difference is here, But just to say that connecting can be a puzzle.