Broken USB port on Pro1

My Pro1 USB port failed after a year or two of use.  I received a replacement from fxtec.  The replacement worked great for quite a while.  The replacement has been failing for quite a while now too, and is almost to the point that I can't charge the phone.  What is the proper way to communicate with fxtec in order to get replacement parts?

I've been off the forums for a very long time, so I'm out of the loop on everything regarding the phones.

Thanks,

david

19 minutes ago, david said:

My Pro1 USB port failed after a year or two of use.  I received a replacement from fxtec.  The replacement worked great for quite a while.  The replacement has been failing for quite a while now too, and is almost to the point that I can't charge the phone.  What is the proper way to communicate with fxtec in order to get replacement parts?

I've been off the forums for a very long time, so I'm out of the loop on everything regarding the phones.

Thanks,

david

Still, [email protected].  That will open a ticket so they can create an invoice to send it to you, if they have it.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hook said:

Still, [email protected].  That will open a ticket so they can create an invoice to send it to you, if they have it.

Darn.  I tried emailing them and they said they don't have any parts available now.  I have a pro1x in the box, that has never been opened, but I just read on another thread that they don't work with T-Mobile.  So I'm stuck if I can't get the USB port working on my current device.  I don't suppose anyone knows if the USB port is the same between the two devices?

2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I'm almost certain that it is NOT the same, as it is placed further from the back on the Pro1X. The port it self could be the same, but would be surprised if the pcb is.

Hello @EskeRahn!  Hope all is well over on your side of the world.

That's unfortunate, but I appreciate the information.  I guess that may leave me with no way to have a workable phone.  If the new Pro1X doesn't work with T-Mobile and if the USB port/PCB combo on the Pro1X can't be moved from the new phone to the old phone, then I'm stuck.

The only things I can think of are to:

A)  Resolder/replace the USB port on the PCB (I did that with limited success on my original USB port PCB board).

B)  Try to wire up a new PCB (find something online) and port and hope it somehow works.  I have no idea if these things have custom drivers in the firmware or if they are standardized and speak the same protocols to the system.  I'm guessing most phones have the port soldered onto a bigger PCB that has a lot of the other phone functions built onto it.  That was one of the things I was really pleased about with the Pro1.  By having a separate PCB, it meant the port could be replaced relatively easily.  Unfortunately, it requires having a supply of the PCBs.  That seems to be the weak link right now.

C)  Bring some wires out from the battery and use an external charging mechanism that does charge the battery, but where the phone wouldn't know the state of that charge.  This last point assumes the phone gets the state of the charge through the PCB.  If it somehow gets it through the battery connections directly, then it wouldn't have that limitation.

Thanks,

David