Fix for Pro1X virtual keyboard popping up?

On my Pro1X, when the physical keyboard is open, the virtual keyboard will often pop up.  I know I've seen other people mention this bug, but I don't know if I ever read a way to avoid it.   Thoughts?

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, david said:

On my Pro1X, when the physical keyboard is open, the virtual keyboard will often pop up.  I know I've seen other people mention this bug, but I don't know if I ever read a way to avoid it.   Thoughts?

I'm unfortunately (for checking on this problem) on LOS 20.  It has an explicit switch in the physical keyboard settings to turn off the onscreen keyboard when the physical keyboard is out.  I don't remember if stock has that, but I also don't remember having that problem with stock, so I bet there's something that addresses that.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Hook said:

I'm unfortunately (for checking on this problem) on LOS 20.  It has an explicit switch in the physical keyboard settings to turn off the onscreen keyboard when the physical keyboard is out.  I don't remember if stock has that, but I also don't remember having that problem with stock, so I bet there's something that addresses that.

On mine, if I go into Settings->System->Languages & input->Physical keyboard, there is a setting for "Use on-screen keyboard", with a description of "Keep it on screen while physical keyboard is active."  I have that setting turned off, but the problem still exists.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, david said:

On mine, if I go into Settings->System->Languages & input->Physical keyboard, there is a setting for "Use on-screen keyboard", with a description of "Keep it on screen while physical keyboard is active."  I have that setting turned off, but the problem still exists.

That's the same one LOS has.  Curious.  I'm not sure why you are having the problem then, because I was pretty happy with Stock and that would have really bugged me.  Are you by any chance using an alternative on-screen keyboard with it's own settings?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hook said:

That's the same one LOS has.  Curious.  I'm not sure why you are having the problem then, because I was pretty happy with Stock and that would have really bugged me.  Are you by any chance using an alternative on-screen keyboard with it's own settings?

I do use Microsoft SwiftKey, but this problem was happening before I moved that over from my Pro1 to the Pro1X.  I also just tried disabling Gboard, Google voice typing, and SwiftKey, as well as the Spell checker under Languages & input, rebooted the phone, and the problem still exists.

• Like 1

What seems to cause it to happen is when you tap inside the box you want to type in.  Once a physical key is hit, then the virtual keyboard disappears again.

Just out of curiosity, does it remain if you actually uninstall Swiftkey?  If it's a lot of trouble to reinstall, may not be worth it to you, but that would be my next test.

7 minutes ago, Hook said:

Just out of curiosity, does it remain if you actually uninstall Swiftkey?  If it's a lot of trouble to reinstall, may not be worth it to you, but that would be my next test.

I didn't have SwiftKey installed on the Pro1X until today.  I can try uninstalling it though, as a test.

I don't use Swiftkey or WhatsApp, so I'm pretty useless here.  I just don't remembering it happening to me on Stock because, yes, I would have found it very annoying.. 

For me, with SwiftKey installed and activated, disabling the SwiftKey option under Typing - > Physical Keyboard -> Automatically show/hide virtual keyboard did the trick. As far as I remember, for me, though, the annoying behaviour had really only started with installing Swiftkey. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

For me, with SwiftKey installed and activated, disabling the SwiftKey option under Typing - > Physical Keyboard -> Automatically show/hide virtual keyboard did the trick. As far as I remember, for me, though, the annoying behaviour had really only started with installing Swiftkey. 

I'm not finding that path.  Is that in the SwiftKey settings itself or in the Android settings?

I did find out that when I *thought* I was disabling SwiftKey in the Android settings, I wasn't.  It was just graying it out and leaving it active.  I had to leave the Gboard keyboard active, and then I could deactivate the voice keyboard and Swiftkey.   So I think what happened is, before I installed Swiftkey, the problem was there, but not as prevalent.  When I installed Swiftkey, it became a regular every time type of thing. 

Of course, I don't have these problems with the Pro1 and Swiftkey and it is a much more pleasant experience typing with Swiftkey enabled than without, for me.

But it sounds like you have a way to disable the virtual keyboard and still have Swiftkey active, @Rob. S.?

Edited by david

I found that setting in the SwiftKey app settings.  Thanks @Rob. S. and @Hook.  I'll see if this combination will also avoid the random virtual keyboard popping up too.  But the way it is now is *much* better than it had been the past day or so.

• Like 1

I think I figured out why this issue came up when I switched from the Pro1 to the Pro1X.  I looked on my Pro1 and that option isn't in the Swiftkey app settings.  It is in the android settings.  So when I backed up and restored Swiftkey, that setting wasn't captured.