Pro1X freezing for 30 to 40 seconds

I think I saw others report this quite a while ago, but I couldn't find posts referencing it through the search function.  My Pro1X will freeze for 30 to 40 seconds from time to time.  I would guess it happens 1 to 3 times per day.  No buttons respond when it is in this state.  When it comes out of this state, everything works.

This is with a rooted phone, running the stock android OS.

Do others have this issue?  Has anyone found a cause/solution?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Seeing as how over 100 people have viewed this and nobody has commented that they have this issue, maybe it is an app that is doing it and is more unique to me.  I might have to try disabling apps to see if it goes away.  It has happened since I started using my Pro1X, but I brought over a lot of apps from my Pro1.

• Confused 1

Could be. I would start with any app that requires the phone to be rooted,

A normal dumb app should not be able to freeze the phone that long, AFAIK.

But with sufficient privileged granted, it might. Also look for any "accessibility" apps as this is sort of a light rooting....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Could be. I would start with any app that requires the phone to be rooted,

A normal dumb app should not be able to freeze the phone that long, AFAIK.

But with sufficient privileged granted, it might. Also look for any "accessibility" apps as this is sort of a light rooting....

That was my plan -- to start with those that require super user.  They are listed in the magisk app and su can be removed from them there.  I have about a dozen or so.  And none of them are critical for day to day use, so I should be able to test it fairly easily.

If that doesn't work, I will find an app to show me running processes/apps, and after a freeze, I will capture what was running (especially those running hidden in the background that I didn't launch).  I can try disabling some of those.

Of course, it isn't an issue I can reproduce, so it might take some time to track down the culprit.

I sometimes get the error that the system UI isn't responding (this isn't when it freezes).  I hope it isn't something about the version of quickstep app on the Pro1X.  If that were the case, I would think more people would have this issue though.

• Like 1

It would be easy enough to grab another launcher to test Quickstep.  I never used Quickstep. always immediately installing Nova Launcher.

Are you running anything that is CPU intensive.  I can see that achieving what you are experiencing if there is a sudden pull of CPU resources that essentially kills multitasking for 30-40 seconds.  This probably would be less likely to show up on the Pro1 given the same apps running.  I'm just trowing stuff on the wall.  I'm no expert here.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Hook said:

It would be easy enough to grab another launcher to test Quickstep.  I never used Quickstep. always immediately installing Nova Launcher.

Are you running anything that is CPU intensive.  I can see that achieving what you are experiencing if there is a sudden pull of CPU resources that essentially kills multitasking for 30-40 seconds.  This probably would be less likely to show up on the Pro1 given the same apps running.  I'm just trowing stuff on the wall.  I'm no expert here.

I am stuck on my quickstep.  I have tried others, but always come back to it.  But for testing, I could do that to see if it is implicated in the freeze, if the other options fail to uncover the time thief.  😁

It can happen when I am not doing much of anything.  Now, something in the background could be spiking the cpu without me knowing it.  To me it seems like something that is trying to do something, failing, and waiting for a timeout.

I'll report back when I have time to do some testing.

On the Pro1X i've seen the launcher freeze for maybe 2-3 seconds, but never with QuickStep on the Pro1.

Note that "QuickStep" and the icon is used for more than one launcher!!

The one that comes with the Pro1 is very simple BUT have the IMHO ingenious detail of grouping in two halves and rotating independently, making it VERY suitable for switching between landscape and portrait in modern more or less 2:1 phones.
It is the ONLY launcher I've seen that does a good job at that at all!!! For others it either looks like sh... in one direction OR you have to manually handle what icons you want in both landscape and portrait independently.

(Sure this approach prevent you from having a widget crossing the centre line, but for me that is a small price to pay)

1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

The one that comes with the Pro1 is very simple BUT have the IMHO ingenious detail of grouping in two halves and rotating independently, making it VERY suitable for switching between landscape and portrait in modern more or less 2:1 phones.
It is the ONLY launcher I've seen that does a good job at that at all!!! For others it either looks like sh... in one direction OR you have to manually handle what icons you want in both landscape and portrait independently.

This may be why I had to go back to quickstep (because the others didn't handle rotating well).  Or it could have been they didn't have the pull up and search for an app functionality.  It was too long ago now for my brain to remember.

• Haha 1

I guess I don't have problems with Nova on the Pro1 and Pro1x because I don't use widgets much.  I don't spend a lot of time looking at my "Desktop" when I'm working on my phone so I only use it to organize apps.  I have three "Desktops" besides the Home screen shown, one for writing and editing, one for internet and commercial apps.  It's fairly easy to organize app icons so they look fine in either landscape or portrait.  Also, I use my Pro1 and Pro1x in landscape 99% of the time.  I just can't tolerate on-screen keyboards anymore.

But I can see this being a problem with a lot of widgets. 

Prox-Nova-Portrait.jpg

Prox-Nova-Landscape.jpg

20 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

AFAIK the QuickStep apk from the Pro1 does NOT work on the Pro1X. If you got it working I would certainly be interested in how.

I thought there was a chance it came over when I did a backup and restore with swiftbackup.  Or maybe just its settings.  Either way, I am using QuickStep on the Pro1X.  Is there some difference you noticed on QuickStep for the Pro1 vs Pro1X?

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Hook said:

I guess I don't have problems with Nova on the Pro1 and Pro1x 

We won't kick you out of the club for using it.  Well, guess I should only speak for myself.  You know how those Danes are.  😁  (*waits for the response from the Dane*)

With Nova, how do you search for apps by typing the name?  And does it have an app drawer that you get to by pulling up on the bottom of the screen?

2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Swiftbackup is a likely reason 🙂

I miss the function of it rotation the two halves on Pro1X

On my home screen, in landscape, I have 3 rows with 4 icons across (not counting the special ones that are present on every home screen).  If I rotate it to portrait mode, I get the same 3 rows and same 4 icons in the same order.  Is that what does not happen on your Pro1X?

4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Well on the Pro1X ii get something similar to what hook showed above, oddly stretched/squeezed

I *think* my icons are the same size in either direction, but I can't be sure.  No labels in landscape, of course.

1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

Here a sketch

image.png.2a3338b11acffb4279bebd25a541cebe.png

Oh, are you using some sort of split screen mode so you can see 2 apps side by side?

35 minutes ago, david said:

With Nova, how do you search for apps by typing the name?  And does it have an app drawer that you get to by pulling up on the bottom of the screen?

Yes, you can search for apps by name either by typing on the home screen or by hitting home (circle) while on the home screen. I rarely need to because my 90% apps are on my three home screens nicely organized. And, yes, you get the app drawer by pulling on the bottom of the screen. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Hook said:

Yes, you can search for apps by name either by typing on the home screen or by hitting home (circle) while on the home screen. I rarely need to because my 90% apps are on my three home screens nicely organized. And, yes, you get the app drawer by pulling on the bottom of the screen. 

Considering that, I don't know why I couldn't use Nova.  Sometime when I have more time, I will try it and see why I couldn't use it.  Does it allow grouping icons?

5 minutes ago, david said:

Oh, are you using some sort of split screen mode so you can see 2 apps side by side?

Nope, the red line is for ilustration only. The QuickStep for the Pro1 has this clever function build in as default.

1 minute ago, Hook said:

Wait until you find out I don't use gestures.  :classic_ohmy::classic_laugh:

I don't either, as can be seen in my screenshots.  Always frustrating when I pick up a phone that has those enabled.   *grumble*

• Like 1
1 hour ago, david said:

Does it allow grouping icons?

Yes, it does.  It has pretty endless features.  I don't use many of them.

• Like 1