A few odd issues

Hey all, loving the device no doubt it is great. I am writing cause of a few odd little bugs i guess, but not really clear what is going on

I am using Android that it came with and for the last few days been just relearning (been using SailfishOS for years) and I have run into a hiccup or two.

Last night the device fell out of my pocket, no noticable issues at it fell and landed on a set of cables on the floor. The first immediate thing I noticed is that the lockscreen is in landscape mode and the backlight on the keyboard stopped lighting up. But other than that no other issue. Then I tried connecting it to charge and the red LED comes on and all things indicate charging but alas it does not charge, so I am a little perplexed on what the issue is. Anyone else run into this?

• Sad 3
2 hours ago, mv said:

Hey all, loving the device no doubt it is great. I am writing cause of a few odd little bugs i guess, but not really clear what is going on

I am using Android that it came with and for the last few days been just relearning (been using SailfishOS for years) and I have run into a hiccup or two.

Last night the device fell out of my pocket, no noticable issues at it fell and landed on a set of cables on the floor. The first immediate thing I noticed is that the lockscreen is in landscape mode and the backlight on the keyboard stopped lighting up. But other than that no other issue. Then I tried connecting it to charge and the red LED comes on and all things indicate charging but alas it does not charge, so I am a little perplexed on what the issue is. Anyone else run into this?

I don't know how it looks like inside, but maybe some cable(s) slipped out (maybe partly) inside - or worse, a connector may have been felt off partly.

I would contact F(x)tec directly and ask them what is their suggestion and if they could help find out what can be the cause of your problem.
Maybe warranty covers it or at least they have other suggestion - a service may be able to repair it if you (as most of the users) not have the appropriate skills to open/work on such a device.

Suggestion: do not open the device if you are not familiar with electronics and definitively not open it till you don't know what is F(x)tec's opinion about it.

• Like 2

That it isn't charging anymore, does not in anyway sound like a known bug. So I fear some thing has been shaken loose or even broken by the impact.

You can select to have the device charging while off. (If you can get in connect with it through fastboot) see this:

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2521-notice-regarding-getting-google-safetynet-certified-software/?tab=comments#comment-36008

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

That it isn't charging anymore, does not in anyway sound like a known bug. So I fear some thing has been shaken loose or even broken by the impact.

As the USB port is on another board, its connector may be loose somehow... but it sound strange how it is related to keyboard backlight - maybe it is also loose a bit but that case I would assume not all keys are working...

2 hours ago, VaZso said:

As the USB port is on another board, its connector may be loose somehow... but it sound strange how it is related to keyboard backlight - maybe it is also loose a bit but that case I would assume not all keys are working...

Could be totally unrelated. I do not know how the switch detecting the device to be open is implemented, but that might be damaged/blocked  (too).
Strangely the real keyboard is not ignored, even if the device 'think' it is closed

I have dropped a unit too, and I was more lucky with it only having cosmetic damages, See this

Just now, EskeRahn said:

Could be totally unrelated. I do not know how the switch detecting the device to be open is implemented, but that might be damaged/blocked  (too).

I have dropped a unit too, and I was more lucky with it only having cosmetic damages, See this

Yes, I think it is unrelated. I think it is maybe an other cable coming from the keyboard, that is why I think some of the keys may not functional if it is going at the same ribbon cable - but it depends on the actual solution.

• Like 1

I don't know if this figures in, but the switch in the slider settings requires shutting the keyboard and reopening it to take effect, which I didn't realize.  So if you shut off the backlight, nothing happens.  You have to close and reopen the keyboard.  Same if you want to turn it back on.  That's fine once you figure it out, but I was expecting a toggle setting to take immediate effect.

56 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

You can select to have the device charging while off. (If you can get in connect with it through fastboot) see this:

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2521-notice-regarding-getting-google-safetynet-certified-software/?tab=comments#comment-36008

Sadly at the moment I can't get it to be seen by my laptop and booting into fastboot doesn't work cause there is not enough of a charge. It is odd cause the device recongizes the USB as least indicated by the red LED turning on, but the lack of a charge is the deeper concern. The battery dead and wont boot anymore. i left it charging for a number of hours today and to not avail. I fear too a disconnect of some sort from the short fall.

We'll see what the repair options are when they follow up.

• Sad 3