Keyboard material?

1 hour ago, netman said:

I don't think the black is a coating, rather it's a multiple step injection molding from the looks of it. Do not know what material it is though.

I think it IS coating. More precisely i think the keys are clear, and then have some white coating, and some have a small square in yellow (or green for caps), and then finally a black coating, Similar to what Lenovo are doing (less the coloured squares).

IMG_20200218_105407~01.jpg

4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I think it IS coating. More precisely i think the keys are clear, and then have some white coating, and some have a small square in yellow (or green for caps), and then finally a black coating, Similar to what Lenovo are doing (less the coloured squares).

I could definitely be wrong but I am not conviced that it is a coating, I should clarify my source for this info though: simply squinting at the keys really closely. One of the keys on my unit had a tiny imperfection when it was new: what looked to me like some flaring the from the injection molding process around the letter M (this came off simply by rubbing it with my thumb a bit and now it looks perfect). On the other hand, I just took a look under a microscope and can't conclusively tell how they are made, but looking at the sides of the keys in the small gap does reveal light from the backlight suggesting the part of the keys underneath the trim that holds them is transparent as it would be with a coating... Hmm...

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, netman said:

I could definitely be wrong but I am not conviced that it is a coating, I should clarify my source for this info though: simply squinting at the keys really closely. One of the keys on my unit had a tiny imperfection when it was new: what looked to me like some flaring the from the injection molding process around the letter M (this came off simply by rubbing it with my thumb a bit and now it looks perfect). On the other hand, I just took a look under a microscope and can't conclusively tell how they are made, but looking at the sides of the keys in the small gap does reveal light from the backlight suggesting the part of the keys underneath the trim that holds them is transparent as it would be with a coating... Hmm...

Let me put it this way: I made the underscore on the PreProd unit longer by scratching... (it currently has SFOS without backlight, so can not show a usable photo...)

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, netman said:

That just means the keys are separate parts i guess

You should try tipping the keyboard against the light, and at the right angle it can be seen that the yellow print (and the green Caps) is a coloured square slightly lifting the black.

If you got sensitive fingertips, you can actually feel the slight 'jump' gliding the finger lightly over the key tops with yellow print. NOTE that some got the mat but NOT the print, I guess prepared for different prints. (e.g. the W on qwertY). It is easiest to spot on Caps.

I tried to extend the small green dot on the preProd unit, not that succesful, but it clearly shows the white under green under black...

R1091189_Crop.thumb.jpg.10159a91073c71a6ba3d694dceadca93.jpg

R1091189_Crop2.jpg

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I tried to extend the small green dot on the preProd unit, not that succesful, but it clearly shows the white under green under black...

That does clearly show it is a coating. Now I wonder how they did the colors :).

44 minutes ago, netman said:

That does clearly show it is a coating. Now I wonder how they did the colors :).

You can see the square 'mat' around the green above...

Just did a new more successful attempt expanding it further to a larger part of the mat.

(the white damage from my first attempt is roughly in the middle now, as I scratched practically to the lower edge of the 'mat')

R1091194_crop.jpg

R1091194_crop2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 3:26 AM, EskeRahn said:

it currently has SFOS without backlight

Before I switched to Lineage, SFOS had backlight working automatically.... (and before that a workaround with qcommand to toggle)... have you been updating?  If not, zypper refresh and zypper update, lotsa improvements since the image...

Edited by Craig
3 hours ago, Craig said:

Before I switched to Lineage, SFOS had backlight working automatically.... (and before that a workaround with qcommand to toggle)... have you been updating?  If not, zypper refresh and zypper update, lotsa improvements since the image...

I skipped SFOS, but LineageOS Test7 seems good.