Problems w/ Pro1 on Sprint network

After waiting many, many months, I finally took my recently arrived Pro1 into the Sprint store for activation. Sadly, I had no luck. The IMEI doesn't show up as being compatible, at least according to their activation system. And after escalating the problem, the escalation tech could only tell me that Sprint doesn't allow the activation of "international" phones on their network. So I beg the masses; has anyone else been able to get their device activated, and working on Sprint's CDMA network? Based on what I've been able to gather from various threads on this forum, I have three options possibilities left to try:

1) A user suggested ask for a "universal SIM," although based on what the techs told me during my first visit, I don't think this exists. From what I was told the Sprint system requires the SIM and IMEI to be a matched set... however, after I think that requirement may only apply to their CDMA network, which leads to option two.

2) Try using a "mule," aka activate an approved phone that uses the same type of SIM card, and then following activation, transfer the SIM card to the Pro1. I was told this wouldn't work, but perhaps if I connect via LTE, and use the network as "data only," I might be able to get VoLTE service.

3) The last option would be waiting until the Sprint/T-mobile merger is completed (2 to 3 months from now), after which I'll be able to visit any T-mobile store, and get a GSM SIM card.

Anyone have other suggestions? I'll post an update if I learn more.

P.S. I'm somewhat locked into using Sprint because my line is part of a much larger plan, which I don't pay for.

I have not used CDMA in several years precisely because I like the freedom of moving my SIM to the phone I choose, when I choose.  But I believe the mule method is the most used on VZW. Because the Pro1 is a GSM phone, you will need to rely on volte for voice. So you will need to make sure that is functional on your account. I'm not clear on how SMS is handled.

• Thanks 1

When I first got my pro¹ late last year, I tried to activate on Sprint MVNO Tello.  Same thing, IEMI not found, and when I tried to escalate they said that only Sprint can add IEMI's.  Since then I've been paying attention to see if *anyone* else mentioned US Sprint, and you're the first.  And as I had been worried might be the case, they won't do it for you, argh!

The option #2 works for Verizon so might work for Sprint, but how good is their LTE coverage, is it good enough in your area?  Anyway the easy way to test that data even works is just put your existing sprint simcard into pro¹, if you have one, and see if you can get lte data.  If so, then next step is figuring out volte....

Luckily you've got #3 cuz I suspect that's your best option.  For now play with it on wifi, or maybe go buy a prepaid simcard at walmart/etc for a month or two and forward your calls to its number?  although dunno if that works for sms...

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1