Completely hide navigation bar

The issue I am facing is that I can't manage to fully hide the navigation bar, only the buttons hide but the black bar is still on screen to the right in landscape and at the bottom in portrait on the homescreen and in the app drawer. The desired result is to have the wallpaper and UI fill the whole screen, both for aesthetic purposes and to prevent AMOLED screen burn in.

I managed to fully hide the bar on my BlackBerry Priv and use pie controls to navigate and on Samsung phones with android 9 the navigation bar can be hidden from settings and gestures used in its place, thus I assume this isn't a limitation of the OS.

Photo of desired result on my Priv:

spacer.png

Black bar to the right issue on my Pro1:

spacer.png

Is there any way to do this?

Edited by Rud

Have you tried Navigation Gestures from XDA? (F(x)tec is in collaboration with that community). It has the "no bar" mode so I think that the navbar should be possible to remove. Some permissions must be enabled via ADB.

Thnx for the recommendation, but it doesn't work. Just hides the buttons, not the bar.

Some apps allows the bar to be hidden, so a launcher might do that as well I guess.

It's the fifth app I tried that only hides the buttons. I granted WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS for all of them. Maybe I should just flash Lineage OS and hope it works there, but I would like to avoid all that trouble. 🙂

Edited by Rud
2 hours ago, Rud said:

Thnx for the recommendation, but it doesn't work. Just hides the buttons, not the bar.

Just tried it. Works fine here, both stock and LineageOS (not rooted)

I uninstalled it again, as it

1. requires a terrible amount of high privileges
  2. requires a REALLY long pull up of the 'pill' to work (as does default Android if you do not disable the "Swipe up home button" gesture)
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Just tried it. Works fine here, both stock and LineageOS (not rooted)

I uninstalled it again, as it

1. requires a terrible amount of high privileges
  2. requires a REALLY long pull up of the 'pill' to work (as does default Android if you do not disable the "Swipe up home button" gesture)

Strange, for me it only hid the buttons and left an empty black bar (this issue only happens on homescreen and app drawer, the rest of the time the navbar is completely hidden).

For number 2, I use pie controls instead of the pill.

Edited by Rud
  • Like 1

Gesture Control will provide you with the means to have Android 10 gesture navigation and full screen experience. They have a tutorial somewhere to hide the navigation bar. You need to connect your phone to a PC and run an adb command.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.conena.navigation.gesture.control

Been using Pro1 with hidden nav bar and full screen gesture since January.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1