Android SSH client for multiple connections to the same host

As probably many do, I regularly use my Pro1 for logging into remote Un*x machines via SSH. I use ConnectBot for that purpose and am in principle quite happy with it.

Sometimes, however, I would like to open several SSH sessions to the same remote host in parallel. Of course I know that I can create detached sessions on the remote host with the 'screen' command. However, that is not what I want. Ideally, I would like the app to spawn several terminal instances side-by-side, so I can switch between them from the home screen. Essentially, I want the equivalent of multiple SSH sessions running in distinct xterms. Alternatively, a concept of "tabs" (or alike) within the app would be acceptable too. I should say that for such a security-critical task as SSH-logins, I accept only FLOSS software.

I find myself unable to achieve that with ConnectBot (or its derivatives) and also have not found any alternative app which explicitly features this possibility. I have read suggestions to simply set up two (or more) distinct session-profiles to the same host in ConnectBot. However, that does not seem to work: as soon as I open the second ConnectBot session, the first one somehow disappears in the background, and can be accessed only after I close the later one ...

Edited by claude0001

I should probably have said that I do have a GNU/Linux running in a Chroot that allows me to start a full X11-desktop if I really need it.

However for simple CLI-work, I want to have a lightweight Android app around that allows me to spawn an SSH session via a shortcut on my homescreen with a single tap (I use PSK authentication).

Up to now I thought termux was too heavy for that purpose and that it would simply duplicate features my Chroot provides anyway. Maybe I should give it a try after all, thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1

JuiceSSH allows you to do this if you goto exit the terminal is asks if you want to run in background say yes then you can spawn another session to another server or the same one.

It then lists them in the notifications pane and you can switch between them. 

Edited by _DW_
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, claude0001 said:

I have read suggestions to simply set up two (or more) distinct session-profiles to the same host in ConnectBot. However, that does not seem to work ...

Turns out I just underestimated ConnectBot! It can indeed open multiple sessions at once, and even makes switching between them really simple: one just needs to swipe the screen to left or right to jump between open terminal windows. Awsome but (seemingly) undocumented feature.

I now made three shortcuts to my server, so I can comfortably open up to three different terminal sessions to it.

JuiceSSH seems nice, but unfortunately it is not FOSS, so I do not want to use it. I am a little picky about that. Thanks anyway! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Turns out I just underestimated ConnectBot! It can indeed open multiple sessions at once, and even makes switching between them really simple

Sounds good! Suppose I'll be switching to ConnectBot for my SSH tasks now, too. 

• Like 1

The downside is that you have to make a set of identical session profiles in advance. I mostly connect to the same server and I know that I very rarely need more than 3 connections simultaneously -- so it is a viable solution for now, but it is not perfect.

Ideally, the app would automatically spawn one more identical session if you activate the same profile a second time (say by tapping your home screen shortcut twice). However ConnectBot cannot do that -- in contrast to JuiceSSH as I understand.

<nostalgia>
On the N900 one could just spawn an unlimited number of terminals via the Fn-Ctrl-x shortcut, and Maemo's UI made switching between the windows so convenient ... ah, the good old times ...
</nostalgia>

Edited by claude0001
1 hour ago, claude0001 said:

<nostalgia>
On the N900 one could just spawn an unlimited number of terminals via the Fn-Ctrl-x shortcut, and Maemo's UI made switching between the windows so convenient ... ah, the good old times ...
</nostalgia>

That was actually the best thing in the N900! 

• Like 1