waterproof and 5g? (Pro1X)

I am needing a new phone, and I really like that the battery is replaceable. My last 2 phones the battery over heated, and swelled up, due to high network usage, and I couldnt replace the battery... I had to just live with a swelled battery for years now. I am grandfathered in on the old verizon unlimited data contract, and I use about 300 gigs a month. It is my only source of internet in the mountains where I am. Since then I have bought an external fan for the phone, hopefully that will help keep it cool. TMI?

Anyway...

I couldnt find a waterproof rating in the specs' list, does anyone know it?

I also have difficulty reading all the network mumbo-jumbo. I am guessing it doesnt support Verizon 5g, because it isnt advertised. Can anyone confirm that?

thanks,

john

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, jrwizzard said:

I also have difficulty reading all the network mumbo-jumbo. I am guessing it doesnt support Verizon 5g, because it isnt advertised. Can anyone confirm that?

Do not expect much of waterproof rating.
It has holes near speakers, I think also water can go in USB-C connector and also in headphone jack connector, maybe even near hinge mechanism.

It does not support 5G network but it is 4G capable.
Also, it may be hard to get it working because of service provider restrictions in the USA but some of the members could do it on some networks there.

43 minutes ago, jrwizzard said:

I am needing a new phone, and I really like that the battery is replaceable. My last 2 phones the battery over heated, and swelled up, due to high network usage, and I couldnt replace the battery... I had to just live with a swelled battery for years now. I am grandfathered in on the old verizon unlimited data contract, and I use about 300 gigs a month. It is my only source of internet in the mountains where I am. Since then I have bought an external fan for the phone, hopefully that will help keep it cool. TMI?

Anyway...

thanks,

john

I hope you are half pulling our leg about the swelled battery for years and the external cooling fan.  Lol

I'm not sure how Verizon will handle you if you are grandfathered in on an old plan.  The Pro1 will work on Verizon following the instructions in this thread. 

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2133-fxtec-on-verizon/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-41839

But this method requires that you have a Verizon SIM that has been activated in an approved phone with VoLTE.  If you have that, you should be fine.  But there is no way to know for sure in advance. 

I chose to have a separate cheap moto phone for Verizon as a phone and car phone (Android Auto) with everything else on my Pro1 as a kind of pocket computer.  Works for me, but I don't care about carrying two phones.  😉

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Hook said:

I hope you are half pulling our leg about the swelled battery for years and the external cooling fan.  Lol

I'm not sure how Verizon will handle you if you are grandfathered in on an old plan.  The Pro1 will work on Verizon following the instructions in this thread.

Nope... not pulling your leg. I am looking at my phone now, and although I cant see it very well in the dark, I know there is a hair band around it that holds the back on.

I have been on the "grandfathered" plan for a few phones now, over 10 years. I have to buy my phone out right each time, no per month or special purchase plans for me. I also called and spoke to a Verizon technical support, he was confidant the Pro1x would work for me. I have the S7 now.

Here is a picture from 2016 when the swelling battery first occurred on my latest phone. This is the picture I sent to Samsung asking for help. They said no. The swelling got alot worse and completely popped the back off. The battery shrunk back down some, but not enough to fit the back panel on again. I have no battery issues, it still last me about a day with normal usage before needing a recharge. My phone works, it just isnt really pretty anymore. I m poor, living on disability, i have to save up for over a year to get to the point I am now, phone shopping.

6 hours ago, VaZso said:

Do not expect much of waterproof rating.
It has holes near speakers, I think also water can go in USB-C connector and also in headphone jack connector, maybe even near hinge mechanism.

It does not support 5G network but it is 4G capable.
Also, it may be hard to get it working because of service provider restrictions in the USA but some of the members could do it on some networks there.

The new Samsung fold 3 has a waterproof rating. I just watched a video of Linus dunking a brand new one in water and operating the hinge of the fold 3. Holes for speakers, usb-c, and large hinges doesnt really mean much in and of itself. Does anyone know for sure what the rating might be? Is this a support question?

I have a different question now:

Another reason I was attracted to the Pro1X is because of the de-googled android OS, and other OS options. I like the idea of giving away less of my private information in exchange for services. I use Linux now, so those other OS's dont scare me. At my last real job I was an information security analyst, so I have been playing with security and privacy for over 20 years, more of a hobby these days.

Considering 5G is kinda old news now, Verizon spouts that over 2000 cities now have access to it... Is buying a phone without 5G nowadays really a smart purchase considering this phone needs to last me a while? Is the Pro1X going to be able to be my replacement phone for the next 4+ years? I have the money saved, would a S20 or S21 be a smarter investment?

thanks for the responses.

john

20160110_140518.jpg

20 hours ago, jrwizzard said:

Definitely none whatsoever. There have been reports of only limited exposures to water which inflicted damage, we have to be a bit careful with fluids. (That said, I recently spilled a thorough measure of drink over my Pro1 and it lived, but it was closed at the time so the obvious part that might let liquids in, the keyboard, wasn't exposed to it...) 

13 hours ago, jrwizzard said:

Considering 5G is kinda old news now, Verizon spouts that over 2000 cities now have access to it... Is buying a phone without 5G nowadays really a smart purchase considering this phone needs to last me a while? Is the Pro1X going to be able to be my replacement phone for the next 4+ years? I have the money saved, would a S20 or S21 be a smarter investment?

I'm not too sure about it since here in Germany 5G isn't really a thing yet, as far as I can see. But from what I've read, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I think contrary to earlier generation changes 5G isn't really supposed to replace 4G, anyway, it's more like it's supposed to complement it, because it's quite different in the efforts it makes necessary for the same coverage, so at this point I'm not too worried yet. 

Edited by Rob. S.
On 8/25/2021 at 9:33 AM, jrwizzard said:

I have the money saved, would a S20 or S21 be a smarter investment?

Since you are saying you are poor I would say yes, go for big brand high volume phones. You could also save money by not getting the flagships as well, go for midrange models instead. Pro1x is not for poor people I'm afraid as you better make sure you have a backup phone just in case your Pro1 has an issue. Low volume devices from startups are more likely to have technical issues. Moreover if you buy a Pro1x today you just don't know when or even if you will ever get one. It is a risky pre-order and your money is gone long, long before you get the device.

Having said that you need to know Pro1x does not have any waterproof rating, though you could ask Linus to try it under water... just for fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1