Looking for info about a replacement USB port

The USB port on the bottom of my Pro1 is damaged. Still works, for the most part. The phone is otherwise in great shape and has not needed other repairs, so I don't really feel the need to replace it entirely. I'm so glad this thing has actual real screws and not that crummy adhesive on so many other devices. 

Does anyone know if spare parts are available from F(x)tec and/or what model USB connector the phone uses? I'd like to avoid disassembling it twice, once to get the part info and a second time to actually replace it. I contacted customer support already but haven't heard back from them.

8 hours ago, gerbilfat said:

The USB port on the bottom of my Pro1 is damaged. Still works, for the most part.

I have the same problem but it has reached the state it mostly don't work and it is a pain to put it on a charger and it results in stopping after about 20-30%... I mean mechanically.

When it only writes "slow charging" that means it does not charge (more than what the phone needs) and even depleting a bit...
Today I only could charge it up to 80% in two stages which at least high enough...

I have contacted F(x)tec a while ago and they promised a replacement, however, they will only have the part needed together with Pro1-X manufacturing... so I hope soon they will have this part...

8 hours ago, gerbilfat said:

and/or what model USB connector the phone uses? I'd like to avoid disassembling it twice, once to get the part info and a second time to actually replace it. I contacted customer support already but haven't heard back from them.

They have not answered about USB connector's part number or any source of it.

I have looked at photos earlier what @DieBruine linked above but that connector looks strange for me.
It looks like if it has three white dots on the PCB - one at left, one at right and one at middle... it results in two sets of pins, each one of six connections.
So I see 12 pins but there is a gap in-between.

The connectors I have found have 12 pins but there is no gap in the middle and I have not found similar connector like the one in the photo...
...so I would think it looks to be an unusual one.

1 hour ago, VaZso said:
9 hours ago, gerbilfat said:

The USB port on the bottom of my Pro1 is damaged. Still works, for the most part.

I have the same problem but it has reached the state it mostly don't work and it is a pain to put it on a charger and it results in stopping after about 20-30%... I mean mechanically.

I'm still not sure how much of my charging problem is mechanical and how much software. While applying some pressure in this or that direction mostly does either change between charging/discharging states or reduces/increases the charging current (I closely watch the AccuBattery app's current display when I do that), I frequently encounter a state in which such pressure won't make it charge again. Then, at least until now, rebooting does reliably help; after that, the phone will start to charge again with a sufficiently strong current.

1 hour ago, VaZso said:

that connector looks strange for me.

I wonder if it the problem may be the contacts of the connector on the PCB instead of the connector itself, so it could perhaps help just to resolder them? For me this would be the typical problem the headphone sockets of all my mobile audio devices ("walkman" and such) of earlier days were to develop at some point, which often turned out to be easily repairable (for a while).

2 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

I wonder if it the problem may be the contacts of the connector on the PCB instead of the connector itself, so it could perhaps help just to resolder them?

I don't know as I have not disassembled the phone since I have this problem...

However, I don't feel the connector is moving and I have noticed worn inside the connector at its contacts...
Anyway, in such a problem, the best case is when soldering releases but worst (and more usual) case is when also PCB wires are injured or come together with connector's pins (detaches).

Also this connector has some through-hole soldering for mechanical fixing, so it is harder for it to release without further damage if it was soldered well, especially as it was never fallen plugged into a charger...

However, soldering-related problems may happen...

When you look closely  at the top of the board you can distinguish the 12 soldered/ flowed soldering paths. I'll bet you at least one of those needs re-solderin/ re-flowing. Which by the the way would be very difficult because of the placement, but not impossible!

If it's the plastic center piece inside of the connector that's wobbly, you really need to replace the connector.

• Like 1