What do you use it for, and what OS did you flash?

Apparently today is the day that I receive my Pro-1X, so I was wondering what to do with it.  My questions are firstly - is anyone successfully using a Pro-1X as their regular daily driver phone?  Or do you use it as a mini laptop or something?

Secondly, are you leaving it with the default Android, or have you flashed it with LineageOS or Ubuntu?

Or is it in the bottom of a drawer, unused?

20 hours ago, Nick B said:

is anyone successfully using a Pro-1X as their regular daily driver phone?  Or do you use it as a mini laptop or something?

Both, for nearly two years

are you leaving it with the default Android, or have you flashed it with LineageOS or Ubuntu?

LineageOS, it's super

Or is it in the bottom of a drawer, unused?

Perish the thought

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Aeong said:

I'm using LOS. I highly recommend just using it as a mini laptop as the cellular capabilities of this phone are really poor.

If you can get at least data to work, i strongly recommend using VoIP with this device. In Canada, we still have 3g available and that appears to work flawless on this device. But anything other is a write off for cellular capabilities but data will work. 

• Like 1

I pretty much echo @MonCon

I consider my Pro1x my daily driver.  It does work fine as a phone on T-Mobile (both calls and data) in  both VA and CO in the US, but I don't use it for that.  I de-converged back with my Pro 1 in 2020.  I'm retired and it isn't a lot of trouble to carry 2 devices. I don't do a lot of calling.  95% of my calls involve home health care for Mrs. Hook.  Both the Pro1 and Pro1x are have weaker r reception than other phones and I need 100% reliability for the home health care no matter where I am driving. 

S0 I have a Pixel 7 Pro (got it new for under $500 from Woot) whos only purpose is for calls, texts, car phone (Android Auto hands free) , point-and-shoot camera and hot Spot for my Pro1x. Everything else I do on my Pro1x, and with that keyboard I can do anything  I can do on a laptop.  I pray someone has something like the Pro1x when it dies because I can not use on=screen keyboards. 

I use my Pro1x and not my Pro1 because I like the keyboard better and, honestly, for the kinds of things I do (writing, editing, notes, SSH to a Linux server, etc), there's not a lot of detectable performance differences between an 835 and a 662. Every so often, I use my stored Pro 1 for experiments.

I have Lineage OS on both.  Great way to keep at least the Google security patches up to date.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, mangled said:

If you can get at least data to work, i strongly recommend using VoIP with this device. In Canada, we still have 3g available and that appears to work flawless on this device. But anything other is a write off for cellular capabilities but data will work. 

Even with VoIP, VoLTE it still doesn't work well. It's terrible.

• Sad 1

Initial impressions after one whole day with it....

If I had received this 2 years ago, I would have been pleased.  However, since then I have bought a Fairphone 5 which has a bigger screen, faster processor and better cameras, so apart from the physical keyboard it feels like a step backwards.

Battery dead, so it needed the "rubber band" trick overnight to charge.  Flashed it with /e/OS (based on LineageOS) which was easy, and fired it up.  Signal strength on the 5GHz band of my home wifi was terrible, but is acceptable on the 2.4GHz channel.  4G mobile signal strength (in the UK) is a bit lower than the Fairphone, but not disastrously so.  Even the fingerprint reader works.

I've only tried a couple of short phone calls, but they worked.  Also haven't left the house with it yet so don't know how well it will work when hopping to other cell towers on the move.

I'll give it a couple of days, and particularly keep an eye on call quality when I'm out and about.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Think it’s time for me to join the action.

I’ve got a Pro1x in daily use since July, stock Android 11. I’m located in Denmark, ’Telia/Telenor’ network if anyone wonders. In the time I’ve had it, I’ve been on vacation driving through both Germany, Austria and eventually Italy. I haven’t had a single connection issue anytime, other than sending MMS from Italy didn’t seem to work.

Positives:

• No network issues
  • No hardware issues
  • No issues calling/receiving calls. Texts also fine.
  • Build quality is decent. Only the buttons on the side are a bit flimpsy.
  • Battery life is decent. I'm not a typical user though, it lasts me 2-3 days between charging 10%-90-ish%

Negatives:

• Did switch off all by itself for the first two weeks. This has fixed itself for some reason, leading me to think it was battery related.
  • Does have 2 black marks on screen, both bottom corners. Doesn’t bother me though.
  • GPS signal is not usable, it’s way off. Can’t be used as a navigation device.

To the discussion of the usability of the phone and it’s quality, I can say that I actually did go directly from a Nokia E7 (yes, this has been my daily phone up until now), and in this regard, I think it’s very fair to say that the Pro1/Pro1x is indeed a worthy spiritual successor. Using an E7 in 2024 isn’t without a lot of compromises, and though the Pro1x isn’t perfect either, it’s very usable indeed – at least in my region.

I’ve been following/reading here, and on indiegogo for the past 4-5 years. Didn’t back the campaign, as I wanted Scandinavian keyboard layout, and it didn’t seem like it would ever happen. Then the delays in shipping became apparant and convinced me not to buy directly from F(x)Tec. Found and bought my device on eBay, as someone listed a new Pro1x 8/256 in blue with scandinavian keyboard. Possibly from wave 1 or 2 announced lately on Indiegogo. The fellow I bought it of, backed late 2020. I'm happy with my device, though I would love if HMD Global would make a modern Nokia branded qwerty-slider, as a direct successor to the E7.

Edited by KasperT
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2