Finally looking at my Pro1x, getting nowhere

I received my Pro1x maybe a month ago, switched it on (eventually...) to confirm it works and put it back in the box.  Today I decided to try and play with it.  Tried to backup using adb as detailed here but before step 5 I saw a dead (sleeping?) robot in the middle of the screen.  So I tried to setup edl to use this guide instead but it wont install (log of the end of output attatched)  Tried to update my system in the hope of fixing that as it has been neglected for months and that failed too...  So back to adb.  Which is now broken with the error below

adb: error while loading shared libraries: libprotobuf.so.28.2.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any Arch Linux experts know where this file should have come from?  Thinking I will now be wiping my computer instead of the phone this weekend 😅

install.log

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Thanks, reinstalled that but hasn't fixed adb.  I have tried lots to fix the computer but definitely need to reinstall.  Problem is I don't have anything installed to burn a dvd and my only USB stick died long ago while being used to record TV.  Installing Gentoo in a chroot will take while but might be my best option 🙃

Computer fixed, back to looking at this.

I now see that before I can backup using adb I need a recovery (suggested from Lineage) but there is a big warning to backup before flashing.  Even though 2 years on I see no mention of a successful method of restoring?  I'm sure this would have made sense many years ago when the Pro1x should have arrived but I've not done anything phone related for a long time so it is confusing.

Which is the correct thing to do?

1 - Flash something and forget the backup.  The phone is so old it will never be sold and I have no interest in carrying a full fledged Google tracker.

2 - Try to install edl while my computer is still blank so it doesn't matter if it breaks everything

3 - Flash something (that really should be mentioned in the FAQ) to get a recovery without damaging the partition that needs backing up

Edited by suicidal_orange

If you are on Stock, you do have a recovery.  When you get the dead robot you need one more step.  (This link is about the Pro 1, but I believe it is the same for the Pro1x-- not that I can test being on LOS 21)  Whether getting to recovery helps or not, I don't know, but there is a stock recovery already.

• Thanks 1

I found some old notes from when I tested my Pro1x for the 5 minutes it was on stock.  The above works but the only difference is that, for the Pro1x, holding volume down when booting takes you to the dead robot.  Then the procedure documented takes you to recovery.

Dead robot passed - thanks!

Now looking at recovery, looks just like Hook's screenshot:

recovery.jpg.fcc2565e27aed1ec121492421d3fa248.jpg

Next should be step 5 - select advanced and enable ADB?

Tried choosing "Apply update from ADB" but

adb shell find /dev/block/platform -name “by-name” -exec ls -Al -Z –color {} \;
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
error: closed

"adb reboot recovery" did reboot the phone back to the dead robot 🙃

That instruction at step 5 sounds like it is referring to the LOS recovery. It looks like you have ADB able to interact with your phone. What do you get if you do "adb devices?"  Reboot into system (Stock Android) and issue the command "Adb devices"  if it comes back with something like "unauthorized". look on the Pro1x for a dialog box asking you to approve the connection.  Then "adb devices" should return an identifier for the Pro1x.  If so, adb is enabled.

Even with LOS, I rarely need that enable adb step for anything.  I only use it if I'm having trouble.  Most of the time I don't.

Thanks Hook.  adb devices works in stock but

find: -exec without \;

"adb reboot recovery" works.  Skip dead robot.  Then "adb devices" returns unauthorized.  Skip step 5 then.

error: closed

Probably because it is not authorised.  Chosing ADB sideload makes "adb devices" return "sideload", but as above the find thing still doesn't work.  Is "closed".

After some messing with AUR I managed to get EDL installed and have made the backups.

Anyone know if this applies to the Pro1x? (found in /e/os install guide)

Warning: Make sure that you can send and receive SMS and place and receive calls (also via WiFi and LTE, if available),
otherwise it will not work on /e/OS as well. Additionally, some devices require that VoLTE/VoWiFi be utilized once on 
stock to provision IMS.

Hi. This warning is very important and is regarding many phones in fact. Your provider has to populate your phone with IMS files on first try as i know. If you don't verify if VoWifi and VoLTE are working fine from stock, you could not get this working well after flashing a new rom. That's already happened to me ☹️ many times.

• Thanks 2

(you can switch off google's automatic waste of bandwidth aka 'updates', though it is hidden deep in setting in the app, and by default is turned on - I guess the purpose is so stealing our data is less obvious among the constant traffic.... Oh and note even when you switch it off they turn it on themselves, so you have to do it repeatedly - bloody crooks...)

• Haha 1