Fingerprint sensor & gestures

I'm wondering whether the phone will support the Google fingerprint API, so that the fingerprint sensor can be used to map fingerprint gestures (swipes in particular, not just taps) to UI actions, like on the Pixel.

I'd never had a fingerprint sensor until moto z2 force (which I bought when keyboard mod was supposedly ready to ship) and am now used to using it to unlock the phone, and for the three android buttons after unlock, and find that useful. But to do that on the side of the phone seems like it might be awkward so seems to me unlikely it'd be as useful on the pro1.

Not sure how the pixel works, but on the moto z, after unlocking with fingerprint, tapping the fingerprint sensor is home button, swiping right is recent apps, swiping left is 'back. My previous phone (Photon Q) those three buttons would appear on a bar overlaying the bottom of the screen (when needed/called).

So you've got me curious how pro1 will work, as it looks like there's no buttons on the front.

I’d never had a fingerprint sensor until moto z2 force (which I bought when keyboard mod was supposedly ready to ship) and am now used to using it to unlock the phone, and for the three android buttons after unlock, and find that useful. But to do that on the side of the phone seems like it might be awkward so seems to me unlikely it’d be as useful on the pro1.

Not sure how the pixel works, but on the moto z, after unlocking with fingerprint, tapping the fingerprint sensor is home button, swiping right is recent apps, swiping left is ‘back. My previous phone (Photon Q) those three buttons would appear on a bar overlaying the bottom of the screen (when needed/called).

So you’ve got me curious how pro1 will work, as it looks like there’s no buttons on the front.

Will be interesting to use it real usage.I got it on the back of the Samsung S8- and it is quite awkward to use. The least bad is to reach over from the top with the right hand index finger.

I actually think that it might be too easy to use on the side, so you will have the risk of accidentally authorising things you really would have cancelled.

I’d never had a fingerprint sensor until moto z2 force (which I bought when keyboard mod was supposedly ready to ship) and am now used to using it to unlock the phone, and for the three android buttons after unlock, and find that useful. But to do that on the side of the phone seems like it might be awkward so seems to me unlikely it’d be as useful on the pro1.

Not sure how the pixel works, but on the moto z, after unlocking with fingerprint, tapping the fingerprint sensor is home button, swiping right is recent apps, swiping left is ‘back. My previous phone (Photon Q) those three buttons would appear on a bar overlaying the bottom of the screen (when needed/called).

So you’ve got me curious how pro1 will work, as it looks like there’s no buttons on the front.

Will be interesting to use it real usage.I got it on the back of the Samsung S8- and it is quite awkward to use. The least bad is to reach over from the top with the right hand index finger.

I actually think that it might be too easy to use on the side, so you will have the risk of accidentally authorising things you really would have cancelled.

I have experienced both methods. I like the side mounted one way better. The button is most of the time at a position you do not accidentally touch (below or above your normal thumb position).

The one I have in the back is easy reachable with my index finger and allows for some gestures. This is strange but actually great until you put a case on

With my case put on, it gets really hard to put the finger in a valid position, since it has to lie flat on the area.

With my case put on, it gets really hard to put the finger in a valid position, since it has to lie flat on the area.

I got a case on the S8- too (to get the click-on keyboard) and that actually eases the use a bit reaching over, as the finger gets 'guided' by the hole to the right position. I fumble with it when the case is removed.

As preferring my right hand, I practically always hold my phones in the left hand, and that makes it quite awkward to reach with the left index finger, if I hold it in the right hand, the hole in the case does not have the suitable angle for the finger, so again reaching over the top is less bad.

But IF I held it in the right hand and IF I did not use a case, then it would have been in a good position...

But IF I held it in the right hand and IF I did not use a case, then it would have been in a good position…

Exactly. I hate it. But the only real reason to use the fingerprint sensor is for my password-manager anyway.

There it is super tiresome to enter my long and complex master-pw with these stupid touchscreens.

This will hopefully not be a problem with this phone. So for me no reader at all would do it, but it is a nice addition. Hopefully it will not be in the way of a good secure grip

I agree, with the sensor on the side it might be impractical to do anything other than unlock the phone with it. On the Pixel it's placed on the back, which is probably optimal for gestures. Out of the box you can swipe up & down to move the notification shade but you can customize it with 3rd party apps. I've become so used to it that's it's almost a deal breaker for me when a phone doesn't have it, especially when it's big. But I'm expecting a different UI experience with the Pro1 anyway so I'm not really expecting it, just curious :-)

To enable 3rd party apps that support swipes on the fingerprint sensor, the Android build just needs to include the Google Fingerprint API. Not all OEMs include it... That's really all I'm hoping to find out.

I agree, with the sensor on the side it might be impractical to do anything other than unlock the phone with it. On the Pixel it’s placed on the back, which is probably optimal for gestures. Out of the box you can swipe up & down to move the notification shade but you can customize it with 3rd party apps. I’ve become so used to it that’s it’s almost a deal breaker for me when a phone doesn’t have it, especially when it’s big. But I’m expecting a different UI experience with the Pro1 anyway so I’m not really expecting it, just curious :-)

To enable 3rd party apps that support swipes on the fingerprint sensor, the Android build just needs to include the Google Fingerprint API. Not all OEMs include it… That’s really all I’m hoping to find out.

The question however is, how do the gestures behave in the landscape orientation? I don't think that the Google Fingerprint API allows for oriented gestures, or does it? I do not know of a case where you can use the gestures in landscape mode, but not tried that very much.

The position in the back would for sure be better to reach from your typical keyboard grip.

I agree, with the sensor on the side it might be impractical to do anything other than unlock the phone with it. On the Pixel it’s placed on the back, which is probably optimal for gestures. Out of the box you can swipe up & down to move the notification shade but you can customize it with 3rd party apps. I’ve become so used to it that’s it’s almost a deal breaker for me when a phone doesn’t have it, especially when it’s big. But I’m expecting a different UI experience with the Pro1 anyway so I’m not really expecting it, just curious :-)

To enable 3rd party apps that support swipes on the fingerprint sensor, the Android build just needs to include the Google Fingerprint API. Not all OEMs include it… That’s really all I’m hoping to find out.

The question however is, how do the gestures behave in the landscape orientation? I don’t think that the Google Fingerprint API allows for oriented gestures, or does it? I do not know of a case where you can use the gestures in landscape mode, but not tried that very much.

The position in the back would for sure be better to reach from your typical keyboard grip.

I'm not sure if it's the built-in behaviour or just something provided by my 3rd party app, but when my Pixel (OG) is in landscape mode, the swipe gestures rotate with the screen, so that swiping physically down (but sideways relative to the phone's usual orientation) still pulls the shade down rather than activating the usual "back" gesture I have mapped onto the sideways swipe.

Admittedly, this would be pretty awkward to execute on the Pro1 with the keyboard slid out. That's not a good use case for fingerprint sensor gestures, I'm only concerned/curious about them when the phone is closed.

Does look impractical with the position.

May of been better in the screen but then gestures wouldn’t be needed anyway your finger is already on the screen,

I can say it sits quite comfy for the right index or middle finger in landscape (both open and closed).

In portrait it sits perfect for the left ring finger (pinky or middle finger also possible). For the left handed holding the device in their right hand it does sit a little low for the thumb, but it is not that you will shift it so much that you loose the grip.

Does look impractical with the position.

May of been better in the screen but then gestures wouldn’t be needed anyway your finger is already on the screen,

I can say it sits quite comfy for the right index or middle finger in landscape (both open and closed).

In portrait it sits perfect for the left ring finger (pinky or middle finger also possible). For the left handed holding the device in their right hand it does sit a little low for the thumb, but it is not that you will shift it so much that you loose the grip.

It must sit a little low, so you won't press it while gripping.

It must sit a little low, so you won’t press it while gripping.

It is a matter of the grip, but sure if it have sat a little lower, the risk of accidentally activating it with the left pinky in portrait would be less, on the other hand that would increase the risk of doing it with the right index finger in landscape, and that would be worse. So as Pie only allow five fingers entered anyway, simply do not enrol the left pinky.

It must sit a little low, so you won’t press it while gripping.

It is a matter of the grip, but sure if it have sat a little lower, the risk of accidentally activating it with the left pinky in portrait would be less, on the other hand that would increase the risk of doing it with the right index finger in landscape, and that would be worse. So as Pie only allow five fingers entered anyway, simply do not enrol the left pinky.

Is it a dedicated fingerprint reader? Not combined with the power/lock button? Then not enrol the pinky is a solution. But I know it as a combined button.

Is it a dedicated fingerprint reader? Not combined with the power/lock button? Then not enrol the pinky is a solution. But I know it as a combined button.

It got a power button AND a fingerprint reader. Scanning an enrolled finger (of course) unlocks, so you do not need to press both. If you do not enrol fingerprints, you can use the classic button, ignoring the scanner.

Here an image from slashgear

https://edge.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Fxtec-Pro1-Homescreen-003a.jpg

It got a power button AND a fingerprint reader. Scanning an enrolled finger (of course) unlocks, so you do not need to press both. If you do not enrol fingerprints, you can use the classic button, ignoring the scanner.

Here an image from slashgear

https://edge.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Fxtec-Pro1-Homescreen-003a.jpg

Looks like there is no space for your thumb if you hold it in portrait with your right hand. Could be solved because it is a little wider than most phones. How is it?

Looks like there is no space for your thumb if you hold it in portrait with your right hand. Could be solved because it is a little wider than most phones. How is it?

If you hold it in the right hand the 'natural' way (speaker up), the thumb rest above the volume keys. But you can also hold it speaker down, giving easier access to the keys. But the launcher currently(?) does not support that, so they would either have to change that, or you would need another launcher.