Estimated software and hardware support time

I think at this point this information is useless.

We have to be realistic here. If the phone is a financial disaster, support will vanish really fast.

Spare parts will not be as bad, since they seem to use a lot of standard-parts.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be easy to dis-/assemble it (would have been great if they used the shiftphone approach).

On the software-side things could end really fast. But the open bootloader will enable us to use an OS that gets updated.

We have to be realistic here. If the phone is a financial disaster, support will vanish really fast.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be easy to dis-/assemble it (would have been great if they used the shiftphone approach).

On the software-side things could end really fast. But the open bootloader will enable us to use an OS that gets updated.

I think that is a fair estimate of the worst-case scenario.

We will have to wait and see on the repairability. At the least I see some screws, in both halves, so might not be as bad after all :)

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be easy to dis-/assemble it (would have been great if they used the shiftphone approach).

I think that is a fair estimate of the worst-case scenario.

We will have to wait and see on the repairability. At the least I see some screws, in both halves, so might not be as bad after all :)

Don't get me wrong. That is not what I think will happen. I am just saying there are ways without official support. Which is worth considering.

As always an official Statement in this question will never be "Preoders are far to low, we can't give you any support at all", the statement will always be "We plan to deliver all patches for at least X years and planing on continue delivering security patches afterwards. At this point we will have newer Hardware ready for you".

And I believe them. They hope to do so, and may even already know that they can. I think they are as passionate about they slider keyboard as we are.

But if this support is a deciding factor for you, you should consider the consequences if they do not sell enough phones.

But I think we all can agree here, that you definitely should at least buy 3 to be safe ;-)

We are committed to bring security update every 90 days (same as other Android One devices) along with other fixes.

We have made the preparation of the partitions and drivers to support cross-letter update. However the exact timeline will depend on Qualcomm.

We will also support for 24 months manufacturer warranty (i.e not user caused damages). For non warranty covered damages, will also have repair centre to fix it with cost.

Also will try to support the sale of spare parts so user can replace by themselves. (For most important parts you only needs a screwdriver, such as screen or battery).

Also will try to support the sale of spare parts so user can replace by themselves. (For most important parts you only needs a screwdriver, such as screen or battery).

That sounds good!

Will it be also possible to replace the keyboard just using a screwdriver?

Does that mean there's no need to bake the device and precariously peel away a glued part to get at the battery? If so that's absolutely awesome :)!

Does that mean there’s no need to bake the device and precariously peel away a glued part to get at the battery? If so that’s absolutely awesome :)!

It does sound like that. This would be wonderful news indeed. @Waxberry can you confirm this?

Where can I order spare Batteries? This makes spending 650 bucks on a phone much much easier. To know you can still use it a full day 2 years after.

That alone is great news. It's a sign that you guys take your users serious. iFixit will have a fieldday with this phone!

Split all the root related posts
into a

I would suggest to move back posts 16590, 16592 and 16629 from the new thread

https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/root-related-questions-split-from-support-time-thread/

to this thread, since those posts are related to hardware support, not root.

Ah sorry, was a little too hasty with that split. Thanks for the heads up, fixed.