I'm creating this thread for those people who choose/want/need to carry their phone on their belt, in a holster style pouch (as they should be carried *grins*). Hopefully people can share information and links to products that will work for this sized phone. And to be clear, we are talking about the style that has a clip or a slit in the back for a belt to go through, not the style that you slip the phone into and carry the pouch in another container (fanny pack, purse, etc.). There is also the matter of how the flap connects: snap, velcro or magnet. My preference is magnet, but feel free to include other styles. Main materials are leather and nylon. I prefer nylon for every day use, but I could see leather for a more dressed up situation. The clip is another factor. I personally won't consider a clip that can't swivel. It needs to be able to swivel when sitting down and there is less chance of things breaking if it can move as needed.

Here is one that is 6 inches tall. The phone is 6 1/16 inches tall. I'm not sure if that is enough leeway to get the phone in there. The phone is 6 1/16 x 2.898 x 0.55 inches. The pouch is 6.00 x 3.25 x 0.62 inches. This is nylon, with a magnetic flap and a metal, swivel clip.

https://www.turtlebackcase.com/vertical-universal-xl-extended-nylon-holster-metal-belt-clip/

• Like 1

This one is the same as the previous one, but it is taller and wider. Same depth. This one is 6.75 x 3.62 x 0.62 inches. So that's almost 0.75 taller and 0.37 wider.

https://www.turtlebackcase.com/vertical-universal-3xl-extended-nylon-holster-metal-belt-clip/

This phone is already so darn big to be carrying on your hip. I really don't want to have to go up to this monster sized pouch. I'll see what other people post, but my current plan is to get the first one I posted if nothing better shows up. Hopefully 1/16 of an inch won't mess up the flap closing.

I generally go caseless myself and carry my phone in my left front jeans pocket. Even my large Nexus 6p. Actually, the 6p was one of the few phones or PDAs I have had which I did get a case for, a massive battery case and it still went in my jeans pocket. I personally hate things hanging off my belt. And I just dislike cases. I prefer the feel of the phone unless it's too slick (which the 6p was). And yes, everyone knows I have a phone in my pocket (and that's it's not that I'm just happy to see them). :-D

In 16 years of using phones and PDAs I've never had a serious drop occur. I probably just set myself up for disaster. ;-)

YMMV

Adding to the list. This one is a little wider than the smaller of the first two I posted and deeper. It is 6.0 x 3.5 x 0.8 inches. It has a velcro flap and a non-swivel clip (although there is a model that has the slit type belt attachment too). I won't consider it due to the non-swivel clip, but I'm adding it for other people to consider. It also states that it works with an iPhone 6+, which is 6.22" tall. They state that the flap with the velcro still works fine with that extra length of the phone.

http://www.sandman.com/pouches.html#52

I’d be surprised if the first one you posted didn’t work. Seems like a perfect fit at long as it’s not metal or hard plastic.

Yeah, I'm thinking that one should work too. My main concern is whether it will fit if a case or other options are added to the phone. We don't yet know about any 3rd party cases that will protect the screen. I may experiment with putting some Sugru on the corners. Here is an example of someone doing this on an iPhone: https://sugru.com/tech-gadget/how-to-make-protective-corners-for-your-iphone

I won't have the bumpers be that big (nor in a bright color), and they can't wrap around to the keyboard part of the phone, for obvious reasons. The other option might be to use a big sheet of Sugru and mold it around the backside of the phone and around the sides and lip it up on the left and right sides (when the phone is viewed in landscape mode) so that it rises above the level of the screen. This would allow the phone to be placed face down on something and not have the screen touch the surface. It would allow it to be dropped and protected on the short edges of the screen and possibly the corners somewhat. And as long as it is molded right, it wouldn't interfere with the screen opening. Alternatively, instead of covering the whole backside of the phone, it could just be strips along the left and right side that barely fold around to the back side of the phone.

Anyway, if I try this experiment, then I might need to go with a longer/wider/deeper holster pouch. If a 3rd party makes a snap on case that protects the screen, then a bigger pouch may be needed as well. Since phones are being ordered now, if there are 3rd parties making cases, it sure would be nice if f(x)tec and the 3rd party started releasing information about the cases.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered a belt holster. As a reminder, from my first post, I was leaning towards the one that had these stats: 6.00 x 3.25 x 0.62 inches. The phone is: 6 1/16 x 2.898 x 0.55 inches. The pouch is nylon, with a magnetic flap and a metal, swivel clip. The concern was whether the flap would close well with it being made for a phone that is 1/16 of an inch shorter than the Pro1.

I thought I'd look on Amazon to see if there was a difference in price and shipping, vs the company's website. That's when I happened upon other models that they make for specific phone and case combos. Here are the others I found (located the models back on their website and will link to those, but they are available on Amazon too):

https://www.turtlebackcase.com/galaxy-s8-nylon-vertical-holster-case-metal-belt-clip-fits-bulky-cases/

6.25 x 3.38 x 0.62 inches

https://www.turtlebackcase.com/galaxy-s8-holster-metal-belt-clip-otterbox-commuter-nylon-vertical/

6.20 x 2.95 x 0.62 inches

Again, the phone is: 6 1/16 (6.0625) x 2.898 x 0.55 inches

It would seem like the second one is pretty ideal. Just a little bit taller and a very little bit wider and deeper than the phone. However, I decide to play it safe and get the first one. This will allow a bit more room for whatever case it comes with and for me to possibly tinker with adding some sort of bumpers to the screen corners, which is my main concern with this bezel-less phone.

For people who aren't going to put any type of extra protection on the phone, and who want a holster like this, the second one should suit them well. But please do post if anyone finds other options out there for belt holster cases.

Ordering from the company website was cheaper than Amazon and shipping was free. I'll post my impressions of how the phone fits once I get the phone in October (supposedly).

• 4 months later...

Thanks @lzb and @ermghoti for adding to the list.

I can report that the one I bought does fit perfectly for length and has room to spare for width and depth.  This is with a thin TPU case on the bottom half of the phone too.  The magnet in the flap is just the right strength too.  The clip is strong and there is very little risk of it sliding off the belt.  The rotation mechanism is easy to turn.

https://www.turtlebackcase.com/galaxy-s8-nylon-vertical-holster-case-metal-belt-clip-fits-bulky-cases/

• Like 1

Followup: I purchased the Extra Tall Clip Case, since it had the right dimensions and is rotatable (although it's technically a vertical opening). It's pretty big and bulky; I haven't actually tried it yet but it doesn't look like something I would want hanging on my belt on a regular basis. @davidcan you maybe post a few pics? Do you feel yours is bulky?

Edited by lzb
24 minutes ago, lzb said:

@davidcan you maybe post a few pics? Do you feel yours is bulky?

Well, the phone is large and the case isn't completely snug, so it is a bit bulkier than it would have to be width-wise.  It is a bit of a transition coming from a "normal" sized (circa-2012) phone.  I'll see if I can take some mirror selfies to give you an idea.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 7:31 PM, david said:

Well, the phone is large and the case isn't completely snug, so it is a bit bulkier than it would have to be width-wise.  It is a bit of a transition coming from a "normal" sized (circa-2012) phone.  I'll see if I can take some mirror selfies to give you an idea.

@lzb, here is a picture of my Relay 4G in a holster case, next to the holster case for the Pro1.  The Pro1 is not in the case at the time of the picture, because it was taking the picture.  The smaller holster sits up higher, but there is a considerable difference in length between the two.

IMG_20200219_173700_small.jpg.8083dcdbb5df496295517bde28ae5a80.jpg

• Thanks 1