Separate wallpaper for landscape mode in launcher?

This is just a random idea that got to me earlier, but I think it would do well for the landscape-optimized launcher on the Pro1.

The default Android launcher does something odd instead... I think some centering and even unasked zooming on my wallpaper image that was tailored for the screen's resolution in portrait mode. Far from ideal.

I'd rather have the option to select two separate images for each orientation. As cool as landscape will be, I don't see myself abandoning portrait completely either.

Ideally the same would go for the lock screen wallpaper.

Not the killer feature, but I think this would be really nice to have.

Afaik certain launchers already offer that.

Who said I have to use the standard launcher. ;)

Oh yes indeed, the launcher is a separate app, it just comes pre-installed. Not cramped with fancy integration-stuff you can not get in other launchers.

Had the Stock Android launcher handled Landscape decently, I doubt Pro1 would have had a custom one.

I do not know what other launchers offers short-cut app launches by the keyboard though. Had it on previous hardware keyboard phones/phablets too, and never used it, except by accidental launches... Come to think of it, have not even tested it on the pre-production Pro1. So for my personal usage I could not care less if the feature is there or not. It is (currently?) just app launches, actions could be handy, e.g. open app list, notification or toggle say Location, Bluetooth etc on/off. A lot of possibilities, if exposed by Android..

For shortcuts to be handy in my book, they should go deeper, so I could do it by some key-combo everywhere, not just from the home screen. When I need to go to the home screen anyway, it is just as easy to add an icon there, that I do not need to remember to what key I linked.

Just to make sure I understand right. If we want to use keyboard shortcuts to launch apps, that will require using a launcher that FxTec is developing in house? Meaning it wont work if we change to nova/pixel/google now/trebuchet/etc other launcher? (unless also written into that launcher of course)

If so, any more info on this FxTec launcher? Will it be open source? Will apk be on on play store? Does it have a name?

Does anyone know which android launchers already support keyboard shortcuts to apps? I've never used this feature, but now that I'm aware of it, I think it sounds useful...

Just to make sure I understand right. If we want to use keyboard shortcuts to launch apps, that will require using a launcher that FxTec is developing in house? Meaning it wont work if we change to nova/pixel/google now/trebuchet/etc other launcher? (unless also written into that launcher of course)

If so, any more info on this FxTec launcher? Will it be open source? Will apk be on on play store? Does it have a name?

Does anyone know which android launchers already support keyboard shortcuts to apps? I’ve never used this feature, but now that I’m aware of it, I think it sounds useful…

Different launchers handles keyboard input differently. I tried a few. Most seem to ignore it, some do a search.

The default launcher is clearly related to "Launcher<3", "Launcher3" and others, but these two has no keyboard shortcut support.

Blackberrys Launcher (of course) support keyboard shortcuts, But I doubt it supports landscape more than partly..

I'm sure others will know of some launchers that support keyboard shortcuts and landscape....

I don't think any Android launcher has holding down a key as an action because, I assume, that's not really meaningful with a touch-screen keyboard. Nova uses an add-on called sesame shortcuts, which I haven't tried. It's more of a set of trainable search functions tied to shortcuts. You can assign pressing a couple of keys to an app, but I really like the idea of being hold a physical key to launch a program. Unfortunately, that means, unless the Pro 1 becomes popular, you'll be stuck with the F(x) Tec launcher for that ability.

I don’t think any Android launcher has holding down a key as an action because, I assume, that’s not really meaningful with a touch-screen keyboard. Nova uses an add-on called sesame shortcuts, which I haven’t tried. It’s more of a set of trainable search functions tied to shortcuts. You can assign pressing a couple of keys to an app, but I really like the idea of being hold a physical key to launch a program. Unfortunately, that means, unless the Pro 1 becomes popular, you’ll be stuck with the F(x) Tec launcher for that ability.

Or maybe they can find a way to decouple the launch thing so it can run under any launcher, Imagine if any key-combo not assigned could be coupled to whatever you want.

Could be quite handy to launch say a calendar while in something else, check something and jump back, without even visiting the home screen...

maybe they can find a way to decouple the launch thing so it can run under any launcher, Imagine if any key-combo not assigned could be coupled to whatever you want.

That's what I had imagined before, a separate app that handled the keyboard shortcuts etc. That would allow using any launcher...

Mhm, about using a different launcher: I'm usually all about customization and stuff, but I have to admit that the default Android launcher just... does the thing for me. There are probably marvelous things I'm missing out of, but I don't feel like I need much else to just launch a bunch of apps. That's why I'd like this to be a feature in the enhanced stock launcher.

Okay, let's assume using a different launcher. What are the options?

Searching for something supporting different wallpaper per orientation wasn't as fruitful as I hoped. Preferably just as reliable and stable as stock and maybe even free (a lot of good software ain't free, sure, but I'd probably not shell out much just to get this wallpaper thing)?

Guess asking about launchers this way sounds a bit clueless. Well, that's somewhat true. When it comes to Android devices, I usually just use them without going too deep in customization.