Robot testing of real production units?

Does anyone know if they are doing robot testing of real production units off the assembly line?  Or was that only done with earlier versions that were assembled with a different process and different people?

For that matter, does anyone know what the quality assurance process looks like for the phones?  Is each one turned on after assembled?  Software tests run on it?  Etc.

• Like 1

I hope they do *some* test with every unit.  This isn't like a normal product where we can go back to the store and easily swap it for another unit.  That is what I was thinking about when I created the post.

Automated tests, like mechanic stuff like dropping and g-forces and emi etc are tested on production samples.  You don't personally want a unit that was dropped 10,000 times to make sure it didn't fail, but you want a design that can do that.

But like basic functionality, that's usually tested by automated processes automatically.  There's something called yield.  You start with lotsa units, and hope to yield a certain percentage.  In R&D, we were hoping for 10% on some things!  They gotta pass lotsa tests along the way, most of them before fully assembled...

Based on my own experience as R&D manager in tech.  

(Of course many individual stages have their own yield... like pcb first, then smt, etc, each of those has losses along the way before final unit comes along; some things tested just to see how fast they respond cuz silicon itself responds differntley, to bin components into different categories, etc)

Edited by Craig
  • Like 3

I am also think there are some automated tests for basic functionalities including the keyboard and working ability of display and so on which also need some manual work. Software can also show the operator if any fault has found by automated tests.

Every manufacturers should do some testing in order to not send faulty devices to customers.

4 hours ago, Craig said:

Automated tests, like mechanic stuff like dropping and g-forces and emi etc are tested on production samples.  You don't personally want a unit that was dropped 10,000 times to make sure it didn't fail, but you want a design that can do that.

Yeah, I don't want one of the durability tested units.  I'm talking about 2 different concepts.  

1)  Are they doing durability testing on some sample set of actual production line phones?

2)  Are they doing minimum quality checks on some sample set or on all phones?

It sounds like you are talking about experience with other products.  I was hoping someone from the company, or someone who has talked to them, could answer definitively.

10 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

They have done automated testing there is a post somewhere about it.

We are talking about whether they are doing it on actual production line samples.  That information was earlier in the process, before they had a true production assembly line going.