Shifted or standard QWERTY layout. Pros and Cons

10 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I certainly hope so, I'm sure that could make a lot of QWERTY users a lot happier about their Pro1. especially those with languages with national characters .

I also hope so.
I don't know how the keyboard will last in long-term use, but replacement parts are always welcome.

It applies also for the very new layouts appeared for Pro1-X which also can be very useful for other Pro1 users who asked for AZERTY or Scandinavian keyboard versions.

However, the replacement itself may be a bit harder for a casual user as it needs a heat gun to properly done.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, VaZso said:

However, the replacement itself may be a bit harder for a casual user as it needs a heat gun to properly done.

I used a heat-gun when I did it, but I'm not 100% sure this is strictly needed, especially if you do not care about the old one..

1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

I used a heat-gun when I did it, but I'm not 100% sure this is strictly needed, especially if you do not care about the old one..

You may right, I haven't even opened the bottom part of my Pro1.

Anyway, a heat gun (using not too much heat) can be very useful for this kind of glues.
Also the screw covers can be applied back perfectly if one take some caution... and a heat gun. 🙂

• Like 1
8 hours ago, VaZso said:

You may right, I haven't even opened the bottom part of my Pro1.

From that service guide document it looks like changing the keyboard prints is very straight forward indeed. All you need to do is apply heat and peel it off. No need to open the case. Though you may want to remove the screen assembly first as it is somewhat in the way.

They really should offer new layout prints as perks on that IGG page 😋

18 hours ago, sequestris said:

Are they going to seel just the keyboards to us Pro1ers?

If they'll finally get around to officially sell spare parts, something they had been planning, and a short conversation I had with London recently gave me the impression that the plan is still alive, I guess they might at some point. At least as long as they didn't change something inside the Pro¹ X that would somehow make it incompatible, but then again I would find that improbable since it would make servicing both devices more complicated than necessary for them...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 2