Android load question

I am currently experiencing high load on my Pro1 and I don't really know the available options to hunt it down without root rights.

The system shows applications are running properly but I see load even as high as 7-8 for longer period of time.
Also it does not scroll evenly, sometimes typing several characters (like release event would be delayed) and also experiencing similar behaviour of touch-screen keyboard thinks long-pressing a button.

I don't know if updates of today or yesterday is the root cause or an application installed earlier did something which has activated after reboot.
As I have not initiated a reboot till yesterday evening after 14 days of uptime (and it worked perfectly before reboot), I think it can be closer to the root of my problem.

What happened between shutdown and reboot is I have changed SIM2 extension to another one which has black ribbon cable so it is less ugly a bit.

So I would like to have a similar output like top / htop does under Linux but I did not find a similar application. Also, without root rights, I am not able to look at it under Termux.

...so what is the standard way to find the cause of high load under Android?

Thank you your help in advance.

Go to "Settings" -> then open "About Phone" Then scroll down until you see the "Build Number".
Tap the build number a few times until you see a message saying "You are now a developer".
Close the settings menu and then re-open it. Next go to "System" -> "Advanced". There will be a new menu option that says "Developer Options" tap that, then tap "Memory". Next tap "Memory used by apps". The list that pops up gives you all the apps and services that have used memory recently, see if there's anything in there that looks out of place.

Another option is to use the "Running Services" option in the "Developer Options" item. Have a look in there for anything out of the ordinary.

What I will say though is Be careful in developer mode. Don't change any settings or items in there that you're not sure about.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MickH said:

Close the settings menu and then re-open it. Next go to "System" -> "Advanced". There will be a new menu option that says "Developer Options" tap that, then tap "Memory". Next tap "Memory used by apps". The list that pops up gives you all the apps and services that have used memory recently, see if there's anything in there that looks out of place.

I see "Android operating system" uses far the highest memory of 1.1 GB, then "Android system" with 218 MB, then "System UI" with 163 MB, then "Google Play services" of 66 MB and then the rest.

Basically what I would like to see is hidden as it would need the phone to be rooted - so I din't see the process list to find out what happening.
Currently load average is 6.94   7.57   8.02

Image attached below is also looks strange.

ssm.png

You do not need root to see process list, a priviledge through adb usually does the trick for GSAm and 3C. See e.g. this

e.g. adb -d shell pm grant ccc71.at android.permission.BATTERY_STATS

(I have had issues with this being accurate on the Pro1 after the last OTA update though)

10 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

You do not need root to see process list, a priviledge through adb usually does the trick for GSAm and 3C. See e.g. this

e.g. adb -d shell pm grant ccc71.at android.permission.BATTERY_STATS

(I have had issues with this being accurate on the Pro1 after the last OTA update though)

Can you show a screenshot of what this gives you? Are you saying it will show the current cpu usage for each process?

8 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

See the link, accumulated, not current, put you can choose the "since now", so you can see short intervals. 🙂

I looked at it earlier, but nothing jumped out at me.  I just looked again.  Is it the time column for the 3C app?  That's the accumulated CPU time, so the idea is that if you reboot, and the overall cpu usage is high, you can look at that list and see which app used the most since there reboot?  Or, as you said, if you can change the interval, then you can see a more instantaneous value?

21 minutes ago, david said:

I looked at it earlier, but nothing jumped out at me.  I just looked again.  Is it the time column for the 3C app?  That's the accumulated CPU time, so the idea is that if you reboot, and the overall cpu usage is high, you can look at that list and see which app used the most since there reboot?  Or, as you said, if you can change the interval, then you can see a more instantaneous value?

Yes in 3C you got the "since reference" in the left drop down on the Statistics tab.

• Thanks 1

So... it looked to be strange as I feeled there is a problem somewhere but not really found it.

Battery usage was not seem to be radically high nor the system showed extreme usage of apps and I could also not find its cause in other apps. CPU usage was also not showed to be high by those application what@EskeRahn has linked and it seemed CPU frequencies are also changed frequently - so system looked to be relatively good, but I still had several characters while typing on Pro¹ keyboard and also had long-press effect time to time on touch interface. Moreover, scrolling was not really fluent.

About scrolling... it was much better when I have turned on forced GPU rendering of 2D applications in Developer settings, so then it was fluent in Android menus. When I have turned it back off, it became not really good again.

About load average, that was written by uptime command in Termux and maybe caused by CPU mostly working at lower frequencies.
I have booted my old phone and checked it also, it had similar average load times.

As I though the cause may be something which tries to catch events, I have tried to browse system settings and permissions of applications.
Finally, everything stared to work fluently when I have disabled "Button Mapper" - I have installed it when I saw it mentioned in this forum, I set up a combination in it, but it was the cause of my symthoms.

Now even single keypresses are displaying fastly and there is no forgotten release event of keyboard, no lagging scrolling and no occassional long-presses in touch keyboard.

Sorry for my messages and thank you for helping, at least now I know some useful applications, however, I still miss root access when it is needed.

Anyway, I have written this whole text using my Pro¹ to test keyboard a bit and it worked well. 🙂

Edited by VaZso
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, david said:

@VaZso, if you reinstall Button Mapper, does the problem come back?

Yes - I have just tried to remove then reinstall it and I had the same problem.

Even a single keypress is slower to respond but also experienced multiple keystrokes of the same button when it was active.

• Thanks 1