Further lower screen brightness

I find the lower screen brightness still too bright, especially when compared to Huawei P30 Pro and the like.

Would it be possible to improve the lower range of the brightness settings in software?

This has already been reported, as well as the fact that at less than 50% brightnes there is a grey-green wash over things.  Good to check particularly the stickied bug thread before creating new threads. 🙂

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
14 hours ago, Slion said:

I find the lower screen brightness still too bright, especially when compared to Huawei P30 Pro and the like.

Would it be possible to improve the lower range of the brightness settings in software?

14 hours ago, Hook said:

This has already been reported, as well as the fact that at less than 50% brightnes there is a grey-green wash over things.  Good to check particularly the stickied bug thread before creating new threads. 🙂

Right, but one big thread containing all bugs anyone might have found gets less and less practicable for someone to comb through, and it gets less and less sensible to suggest someone should before they may be allowed to mention something themselves – the more so as forum search always only finds so much...

And it hasn't been officially "confirmed", either.

As others already suggested, things would probably be different if F(x)tec would set up a real bugtracker...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Right, but one big thread containing all bugs anyone might have found gets less and less practicable for someone to comb through, and it gets less and less sensible to suggest someone should before they may be allowed to mention something themselves – the more so as forum search always only finds so much...

And it hasn't been officially "confirmed", either.

As others already suggested, things would probably be different if F(x)tec would set up a real bugtracker...

Well, even if you don't want to read through the whole thread, appending a possibly redundant bug report to the existing thread which is stickied at the top is still preferable, I think, to creating many many new threads for each bug that each of the large number of new users might run into which will then just be buried by inactivity.

I certainly agree the real answer is a bug tracker but that doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe after production is caught up.

@Hook I guess I see your point, but I'm not even sure that it would be easier for F(x)tec personnel to take notice of a new bug in the pinned thread than it would be to notice a new thread.

It's of course unfortunate that not even the features of the (commercial and thus being paid actual money for) forum software have been used, i.e. by creating several forums, one of which could be reserved for bug reports. This is something that still could be quite easily improved and implemented, by the way. 

[Correction: There actually *is* a category called "bug reports", but as this forum is organized with a big front page containing all threads in one big list, it isn't even recognized as a separate forum. There's definitely room for improvement in that area 😉 ]

All of that said, I still believe a thread titled "known bugs (updated xx-xxx-xx)" should not contain new bug reports at all, but should be updated frequently to list confirmed bugs in the first post. Anything else, I guess, is not  really manageable either for users or for helpers.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 3

Perhaps it's just my imagination, but it seems that the replacement screen does not have the greenish touch at low brightness or at least the touch is much lower.

I sadly don't have the equipment to try and prove it nor do I have a pro1 with stock screen.

I also feel like the colors and contrast are better, but again: I cannot prove it.

I agree in regards to the brightness issue, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, divstar said:

I agree in regards to the brightness issue, though

I find it painful to use in the dark. To me that's one issue that will be keeping me from switching to Pro1 as my main device.

Does anyone have access to that Elephone U hardware to see if it does a better job at lowering the screen brightness using the same panel?

I can't be bothered about colour accuracy TBH. That's about functionality and usability in dark environment.

How can we get FxTec to prioritize that issue? I hope they can come up with a software solution for it.

• Like 2

To be honest it seems to me that on my replaced screen the brightness on lowest setting seems still a bit brighter than say that of  the Samsung Galaxy S8. But I think it became better than with the original screen. I hope someone will be able to compare side-by-side.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

It is possible to lower the screen brightness with root access so that might help

How to you go about it? Could anyone with a rooted version try it out?

• Like 1

Tried it with my Moto Z3 Play, seems to work and doesn't even need root. Works by overlay (needs "draw over other apps" permission) like the various night mode apps but doesn't also change color temperature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

It is possible to lower the screen brightness with root access so that might help. If root it not an option you can try some "screen dim" app from Play Store also.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nu.lower.brightness

Thanks for the tip. That actually helps a lot. The pro version is well worth it too. In fact, on an AMOLED screen this effectively lowers light output from your screen which is just what I needed.

Still I hope FxTec will be able to improve on that, if only for better out-of-the-box experience.

With this show stopper out of the way, it looks like I am going to switch to Pro1 as my primary handset as soon as I find a case that fits.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1