6 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Oh there could be. Or perhaps and app that traverses all apps for you, and clearing one by one.

Yeah, Google, in their infinite wisdom, removed the ability to clear caches across all apps.  So when you have a bug that requires clearing multiple app caches and you aren't sure which one to clear, you can no longer use that method to solve the issue (or to regain space).

I believe on one of the newer android phones in my house, I did find such an app once that would clear all the individual app caches.  I don't know which app that was, but I will look on the app store and see if any jump out at me.

Well, I looked and found that I used SD Maid - System Cleaning Tool (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.thedarken.sdm&hl=en_US).  However, as of Android 6.0, google changed things in a way that this app (and other cleaning apps) aren't able to clean the private app cache without root.  So if you really need to do it, then I guess you have to root and use a tool like this (the app cleaning function requires paying for the app).  The app cleaning function can still find other garbage left around for each app and allows you to clear them all with one button, but not the cache we are talking about (without root).

There may be other apps that do, with root, allow clearing the cache and that are free.  So many of the "cleaning" apps are full of ads and other unwanted things.  SD Maid is highly regarded.  It does have extra features too, such as a file explorer (I tested and was able to access both the internal and external storage on the Pro1, albeit only a limited subset of directories, since I am not rooted yet), a very fast storage analyzer (to show you what is using up space on the internal/external storage) and  some other functions.

46 minutes ago, david said:

There may be other apps that do, with root, allow clearing the cache and that are free.  So many of the "cleaning" apps are full of ads and other unwanted things.  SD Maid is highly regarded.  It does have extra features too, such as a file explorer (I tested and was able to access both the internal and external storage on the Pro1, albeit only a limited subset of directories, since I am not rooted yet), a very fast storage analyzer (to show you what is using up space on the internal/external storage) and  some other functions.

Just tried "1tap Cleaner" and after asking for "Usage access" , "Display over other apps" (forgot the exact wording) , "Modify system settings" and "Accessibility service" it works.
***Bare in mind that these are pretty heavy privileges granted*** so you better trust the people behind it to use it....

But it IS possible, so a matter of finding an app you dare trust....

1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Just tried "1tap Cleaner" and after asking for "Usage access" , "Display over other apps" (forgot the exact wording) , "Modify system settings" and "Accessibility service" it works.
***Bare in mind that these are pretty heavy privileges granted*** so you better trust the people behind it to use it....

Yay! You found it.  I am pretty sure that is the one I had used on another phone, but I couldn't find it.  In theory, it presses the buttons on the screen for each app. 

However, it did not work for me when I tried it.  My test case is the Chrome browser cache.  It still had 520 KB of data in the cache after this application got done.  The application shows 0 bytes, but that isn't accurate.  Check in Storage->Other Apps->Chrome after running it.

YouTube is another app you can use for a test.

Edited by david
6 hours ago, Polaris said:

@_DW_ That answer isn't very helpful because she asked "how" to do it.  The appropriate response would have been Settings --> System --> Reset options --> Erase all data. 😁😂

But if she had done it I would have felt so bad!!

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

At that point I'd be really considering do I really need to do this.  Or write the app my self tbh that one should be straight forward.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, _DW_ said:

At that point I'd be really considering do I really need to do this.  Or write the app my self tbh that one should be straight forward.

Indeed, that was the message I tried to get across. It was not an app I would dare use on a daily driver.

I'm not blaming them for asking all these privileges, it might be needed to have all those to be allowed to do the clean-up on newer android. I'm just pointing out that it comes with quite a risk if the app contains evil code OR later is upgraded with some bad code in it...

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Indeed, that was the message I tried to get across. It was not an app I would dare use on a daily driver.

I'm not blaming them for asking all these privileges, it might be needed to have all those to be allowed to do the clean-up on never android. I'm just pointing out that it comes with quite a risk if the app contains evil code OR later is upgraded with some bad code in it...

yeah exactly the first iteration of code might be fine but future versions could do anything

• Like 1