Feature Request: better dual SIM support

I noticed that there is a very limited (read - stock) support for dual SIM operation. One would expect at least a couple of functions every other manufacturer implements for dual SIM:

1. ability to assign the SIM to use for a contact (e.g. I use my personal number to communicate with my family and friends, but use my business one for everything else.

2. ability to select the SIM to make call before the call is made (stock option is to have the default SIM for calls defined and a button to switch SIM during the call, which is inconvenient and most of the time expensive.

Moto Z had it almost right by the way (the only complaint I had is that if the selected network for a contact was unavailable and you tried to make a call to that contact Moto Z would forget about the assignment).

UPDATE: As it was correctly pointed out in the thread, it is possible to achieve the desired configuration by configuring the dialer application (three dots in the upper right corner when you enter the dialer app)

Edited by galaxy
updated to point out that it is not an issue anymore
  • Like 3

It would also be elegant if you could choose based on country code.

If you are inserting a local secondary SIM abroad, it might well be the cheapest to use your standard SIM to call home, but the local SIM to call locally and data.

A bit spinning off from your topic: It is odd that more things are not per contact.
E.g. when you text with a contact you are quite likely to do that in the same language each time! So assigning an active spelling/typing language to a contact seems bleeding obvious - they could even offer to set the default by the country code unless you override.

• Like 1

The way it worked with my Huawei P30 Pro was just fine for me.
You just select the SIM once for a contact and it sticks, both for SMS and Call.
I still need to confirm it but it looks like it works the same on Pro1.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, galaxy said:

I noticed that there is a very limited (read - stock) support for dual SIM operation. One would expect at least a couple of functions every other manufacturer implements for dual SIM:

1. ability to assign the SIM to use for a contact (e.g. I use my personal number to communicate with my family and friends, but use my business one for everything else.

2. ability to select the SIM to make call before the call is made (stock option is to have the default SIM for calls defined and a button to switch SIM during the call, which is inconvenient and most of the time expensive.

Moto Z had it almost right by the way (the only complaint I had is that if the selected network for a contact was unavailable and you tried to make a call to that contact Moto Z would forget about the assignment).

On my Motorola G6, I used to pick which card to use before placing a call.

By default, Pro1 initiated the call on 1st card and I could change it to 2nd card, but I found the exact same behaviour which worked on my Moto G6 somewhere in settings.
So Pro1's software also have the option to specify which card to use before initiating a call.

So the difference is Motorola's software had a wizard to choose these options but Pro1 had a default value which had to be changed but it also works well.
So I'm sure second option is exists as I use it that way.

One thing I missed was to specify different ringtones for these cards but I use DualSimRinger for this purpose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1