Optimal software setup : keyword prediction, e-mail, etc?

I'm getting on ok with my Pro1, even more so after realising split screen mode allows apps that don't co-operate with landscape mode to work on half of the screen when in landscape. However, in other ways it's not as optimal as my Priv

Keyword prediction and swiping : this was a huge strength of the Priv. Is there a virtual keyboard that only supplies keyword suggestions when in landscape (keyboard open) mode? I could import the Blackberry keyboard probably, but would rather try other options/pay for an existing product. It would also be lovely to map something to 'delete word to the left'.

E-mail : What's the best client, I'm not a huge fan of Gmail. Tempted to purchase the Blackberry Hub+, and e-mail client, unless K9 or other options are much better these days.

As mentioned elsewhere the fingerprint sensor is a pain, I'd prefer to just disable it.

The hit boxes for the back icon appear to be too large, I frequently switch to other apps or go back a step when not meaning to.

Shortcut key : I can't get this to work. Use the launcher to select the application bound to a key. Go back to the launcher. Hold down the Fxtec 'F' key, press the key assigned to the app. Am I being daft?

Sometimes the rotation is either far too fast, or ludicrously slow - set clearly in landscape mode (keyboard open) and not switching to it.

Still, overall this isn't too bad, and once customised a bit I'm sure I'll be much more happy.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, peter3 said:

Keyword prediction

Look for SwiftKey.

15 minutes ago, peter3 said:

As mentioned elsewhere the fingerprint sensor is a pain, I'd prefer to just disable it.

It works better when using a case like Snakehive for Huawei P20 Pro. 

16 minutes ago, peter3 said:

Shortcut key : I can't get this to work.

Just go to your home screen one way or another and hold down the shortcut key you assigned until your launches. 

Using SwiftKey may force you to switch to Key Mapper instead. 

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, peter3 said:

Still, overall this isn't too bad, and once customised a bit I'm sure I'll be much more happy

Exactly my feeling. However using it daily I've been frustrated with poor call and video call quality issues. Hope they can improve on that. 

Edited by Slion

https://cobalt232.github.io/blackberrymanager/

You can install the blackberry hub email client from there.  I havent used it but somebody else on here recommended it...

You can disable gestures in the settings menu, that gets you the three traditional android buttons that are more familiar to most than the pie gestures.

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 1

I've not taken many phone calls so far, but so far call quality has been fine. Not tried video calls but don't see why they would be poor, the screen quality, speed, and connection are fine.

I've already disabled gestures as I find the Pie method of switching applications more annoying than anything else.

I'm pretty certain the Blackberry apps are available in Play Store for the Pro1 (and extracting it from my Priv would always be an option), but I'd rather purchase them if at all possible.

Shortcut definitely isn't working. If I hold it down it literally does nothing, but the key itself is functional in terms of producing a keypress to the system.

The launcher shortcuts are activated by longpress of the shortcut key.

The built-in android global shortcuts meta+key cannot be used cuz fxtec didn't assign any key to meta by default.  For now only launcher shortcuts if you use their launcher.

Edited by Craig

It just isn't doing anything. Press finger on empty area of launcher, home settings, go into keyboard shortcuts, select 'Y', assign to WhatsApp.

I know the 'F' key is working because if I go into Messages and press it, I'm returned to the launcher screen.

Then hold down 'F', tap Y, and nothing happens.

8 minutes ago, Craig said:

The launcher shortcuts are activated by longpress of the shortcut key.

If SwiftKey is installed it interferes....

(If you stop SwiftKey temporarily in Apps, the short cuts are back. But you will need to set the keyboard again, as it falls back to Gboard - if not disabled)

Bummer.  Well hopefully the next OTA F(x)tec's programmer fixes at least one of the two things.  If they define the keyboard as alpha instead of full, we'll get predictions (and longpress on letters gets us alternative character choices).  If they define a key (ideally Fx logo key) as meta, we get global keyboard shortcuts.   They could even define the sym key as right-alt, and then we probably even get a pop-up symbol keyboard.   My understanding is F(x)tec's contracter who did our firmware didn't even try to take advantage of any of Androids built in keyboard stuff and tried to re-invent the wheel, doing stuff his own way without looking into how it's traditionally done in Android.

Yeah.. I'm missing the accents on longpress very slightly too, but it's not something I use frequently.

Just GBoard here. Languages and input : Gboard, Google voice typing (I have switched off assistant, can't stand it). Physical keyboard : Fxtec Pro1. English UK language. Google spell checker. No auto-fill service.

Actually, you will have an issue with that setup.  You won't be able to type question mark, slash, or £.

The layouts included with our phone don't take advantage of Fn(slant arrow) key.  If you install finqwerty, it adds a bunch of layouts designed specifically for our phone that will work.     Alternatively, if you select NO layout, then shift wont work, but you can get all the yellow symbols with Fn including slash and question mark, but no pound.

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 2
12 hours ago, peter3 said:

It would also be lovely to map something to 'delete word to the left'.

I think you are looking for Ctrl-Backspace.

It works in most apps, but not in these forums for some reason... in those circumstances I fall back to Ctrl-Shift-Left (to select previous word) and then backspace to delete.

Note also Alt-Backspace to delete the whole line.

• Thanks 3