powering on device, no screen activity

When I initially got my Pro1 device, when you pressed the power button the FxTec logo would appear and slightly animate while android booted.  This gave you a clear signal that something was happening.  But now I've totally lost that somehow.  When the device is off and you press the power button in for a few seconds:
- no vibration
- no led light
- screen appears totally off / nothing displayed
- I either have to wait until I open the keyboard or receive a notification for the screen to light up
- after the initial power button press to start the boot, pressing the power button again say 10-20 seconds later does nothing; I have to wait until as noted above 

This is a weird one to me.  Anyone else experience this?  Any ideas?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, netman said:

That's quite weird indeed. Does the display show anything when booting into fastboot mode (from off state hold power and volume down at the same time)?

So I know that I got it into fastboot once, 2 days ago.  I'm pretty sure that I saw the  FxTec logo so I knew when to stop holding the buttons.  I did this so I could run the command to allow for charging while off (found in another thread):

fastboot oem off-mode-charge 1

But right now I can't seem to get the device into fastboot at all.  I first tried between 10-15% charge.  Because of this google result, I thought well maybe I need to be above 30 to get into fastboot.  So I charged it above 35 (currently 36 as I type this); I couldn't get into fastboot still.  Maybe I need to be at a higher charge level?  Maybe I can try tomorrow morning.

31 minutes ago, KingOfTerrible said:

But right now I can't seem to get the device into fastboot at all.  I first tried between 10-15% charge.  Because of this google result, I thought well maybe I need to be above 30 to get into fastboot.  So I charged it above 35 (currently 36 as I type this); I couldn't get into fastboot still.  Maybe I need to be at a higher charge level?  Maybe I can try tomorrow morning.

I don't think you need the battery level to be a certain level to get into fastboot. Another way to get into fastboot mode would be by running

adb reboot bootloader

on a pc with the phone connected to it.

So I enabled developer mode and turned on adb debugging.  I confirmed the device was connected by "adb devices" then issued your command.  The screen went black and never showed anything else / no indicator light.  My computer made noise so I tried "adb devices" again and that failed.  I tried "fastboot devices" and that worked.  Still nothing on the Pro1 screen so I tried the volume up / down; nothing happens.  In fear of not knowing what I currently had selected, instead of pressing the power button, I tried opening the device a few times, but nothing happened.  Again out of fear for pressing the power button, I issued command "fastboot reboot".  Still no logo during boot, but I'm back to a usable phone for the time being.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, KingOfTerrible said:

So I enabled developer mode and turned on adb debugging.  I confirmed the device was connected by "adb devices" then issued your command.  The screen went black and never showed anything else / no indicator light.  My computer made noise so I tried "adb devices" again and that failed.  I tried "fastboot devices" and that worked.  Still nothing on the Pro1 screen so I tried the volume up / down; nothing happens.  In fear of not knowing what I currently had selected, instead of pressing the power button, I tried opening the device a few times, but nothing happened.  Again out of fear for pressing the power button, I issued command "fastboot reboot".  Still no logo during boot, but I'm back to a usable phone for the time being.

This is very weird, next step to diagnose I'd think would be sensible is make sure you have a backup of important things on the phone and try to reflash boot and splash partitions as described here (that should in theory let userdata live if you don't do the last step, but better be careful) and hope that one of them somehow being corrupted during update was the issue:

For recovery/fastboot I think only xbl, abl, boot and splash partitions are used so i would try restoring only those and see if that brings it back.

edit: also i really doubt anything is wrong with xbl or abl, don't think they do anything related to screen initialization, hence boot and splash partitions maaybe, hopefully not some weird hardware issue

Edited by netman
12 hours ago, netman said:

edit: also i really doubt anything is wrong with xbl or abl, don't think they do anything related to screen initialization, hence boot and splash partitions maaybe, hopefully not some weird hardware issue

I'm really hesitant to do this since I'm worrying about bricking the unit or losing my data and app config that took me a long time.  I'd imagine the the fxtec logo is the splash.img file.  What would you think about just doing the splash one only?  Have you ever tried flashing a single file and not the whole script from @Waxberry / not doing the erase userdata part?

2 hours ago, KingOfTerrible said:

I'm really hesitant to do this since I'm worrying about bricking the unit or losing my data and app config that took me a long time.  I'd imagine the the fxtec logo is the splash.img file.  What would you think about just doing the splash one only?  Have you ever tried flashing a single file and not the whole script from @Waxberry / not doing the erase userdata part?

Yes you can certainly try just splash first.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So I finally attempted the suggestion I got from fxtec support (factory reset from the normal settings app) and then the suggestions mentioned here to totally reflash the device.  it took a while to figure out just how to do that since my bootloader was in the locked state.

Anyway my original issue still persists.  I don't have a clue what to do here.

• Sad 1
59 minutes ago, KingOfTerrible said:

So I finally attempted the suggestion I got from fxtec support (factory reset from the normal settings app) and then the suggestions mentioned here to totally reflash the device.  it took a while to figure out just how to do that since my bootloader was in the locked state.

Anyway my original issue still persists.  I don't have a clue what to do here.

Trying to understand the problem in more detail.  You can use the phone if the keyboard is open?  In other words, with the keyboard open, the screen turns on and the screen responds to touch input?

With the keyboard closed, the screen only turns on when you get a notification, and then the screen responds to touch input?

I've had some similar behavior, but not identical, on phones in the past, when the cable connecting the bottom part of the phone to the screen was damaged.  Maybe in your Pro1, this has become disconnected partly at one end or the other, or there is something damaged relating to it (cable, connectors, connector's connection to the boards, etc.).

• Like 1

When the device is powered off, you press the power button for a few seconds to turn it on.  There is no vibration, no led, nothing on the screen to show that it acknowledged the button press to power on.  After say 30 seconds, I expect that it should have booted up.  I have to do one of the following to get the display working:

- press the power button 1-3 times to get the display up; I noticed last night while I was attempting this that the first time seemed to always make that "turn off click sound" like it thinks the screen is active already and you are hitting power to turn it off; then you need to press again to wake up.

- open the keyboard / screen a few times

- notification happens and lights up the screen, I have to press the power button to get the pin unlock screen up

after this initial problem, I believe the phone responds normally to power key presses.

Edited by KingOfTerrible
  • Sad 1