Dual boot or multi boot possible?

The Pro1 is announced with an unlocked or unlockable bootloader. And since I ordered my Pro1 ages ago I had the idea to have one Android system for some apps important to me AND one system which I could use for geek stuff, preferrably something like N900 Maemo .

I am pretty new to current Android versions and how it handles "disk" space. I read something like "slot a" and "slot b" .
Any chance to have two (or more) operating systems which could be choosen during boot process?

Cheers, #10248

1 hour ago, order#10248 said:

The Pro1 is announced with an unlocked or unlockable bootloader. And since I ordered my Pro1 ages ago I had the idea to have one Android system for some apps important to me AND one system which I could use for geek stuff, preferrably something like N900 Maemo .

I am pretty new to current Android versions and how it handles "disk" space. I read something like "slot a" and "slot b" .
Any chance to have two (or more) operating systems which could be choosen during boot process?

Cheers, #10248

The question/request have been raised before, and I'm no expert on this.

The A/B system as I understand it is normally used to apply new updates, so one can be flashed while the other is still active. The LineageOS setup offered use it slightly different with a recovery image in A and the main image in B

If I got it right there would also be a certification issue for stock android with multi boot. So some apps would complain. (Typically bank-apps and the like, fearing the potentially compromised security)

But in principle it should be possible.

@EskeRahn is correct, the A/B system is for updates.  Android (either stock, or Lineage when it's official) will install OTA updates to the non-active slot, then tell the boot loader to switch active slots, and then prompt you to reboot.  So no, by default, you cannot use A/B for a dual-boot system.

Additionally, there is only one data partition.  So any dual boot scheme would require some way to separate data A from data B.

And lastly, you would probably want some sort of a boot manager to select the slot at boot time.

So in theory, it would be possible to make the phone dual boot.  But it would take quite a lot of work and each OS would need to be customized to make it compatible with the scheme.  I'm not sure that would be the best use of time right now.  Maybe later, after everything else is working reasonably well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...