Dual boot or multi boot possible?

The Pro1 is announced with an unlocked or unlockable bootloader. And since I ordered my Pro1 ages ago I had the idea to have one Android system for some apps important to me AND one system which I could use for geek stuff, preferrably something like N900 Maemo .

I am pretty new to current Android versions and how it handles "disk" space. I read something like "slot a" and "slot b" .
Any chance to have two (or more) operating systems which could be choosen during boot process?

Cheers, #10248

1 hour ago, order#10248 said:

The Pro1 is announced with an unlocked or unlockable bootloader. And since I ordered my Pro1 ages ago I had the idea to have one Android system for some apps important to me AND one system which I could use for geek stuff, preferrably something like N900 Maemo .

I am pretty new to current Android versions and how it handles "disk" space. I read something like "slot a" and "slot b" .
Any chance to have two (or more) operating systems which could be choosen during boot process?

Cheers, #10248

The question/request have been raised before, and I'm no expert on this.

The A/B system as I understand it is normally used to apply new updates, so one can be flashed while the other is still active. The LineageOS setup offered use it slightly different with a recovery image in A and the main image in B

If I got it right there would also be a certification issue for stock android with multi boot. So some apps would complain. (Typically bank-apps and the like, fearing the potentially compromised security)

But in principle it should be possible.

@EskeRahn is correct, the A/B system is for updates.  Android (either stock, or Lineage when it's official) will install OTA updates to the non-active slot, then tell the boot loader to switch active slots, and then prompt you to reboot.  So no, by default, you cannot use A/B for a dual-boot system.

Additionally, there is only one data partition.  So any dual boot scheme would require some way to separate data A from data B.

And lastly, you would probably want some sort of a boot manager to select the slot at boot time.

So in theory, it would be possible to make the phone dual boot.  But it would take quite a lot of work and each OS would need to be customized to make it compatible with the scheme.  I'm not sure that would be the best use of time right now.  Maybe later, after everything else is working reasonably well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/7/2020 at 12:15 PM, order#10248 said:

Will my dream come true to have Ubuntu Touch on my Pro1 AND being able to boot into LineageOS for apps that dont exist for Linux , like bike and car sharing etc?

YES!!! See attached video file (sorry for the ridiculous video quality ... had to shrink 2min to 2MB ...)

I now have Ubuntu Touch via "Slot A" and LineageOS 18.1 via "Slot B".

Dual boot procedure takes to get used to: It's not choosing OS during boot, instead it works from fully booted OS and then "OK, reboot into the other OS".

The app used for that is "Switch My Slot" , with existing versions for UBports (Ubuntu Touch), Android and Sailfish.

Feels like ages ago having such a satisfying moment like seeing this on my Pro1 \o/

Cheers,  order#10248

Edit:
Video is H265 so wont play in every browser. Couldn't use h264 , due to upload size restrictions here.
Okay, couldn't find ANY browser playing h265 ... the choice is webm/vp9 nowadays ...
So now it should be visible ...

Edited by order#10248
Video file as webm/vp9 mp4
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
On 4/18/2021 at 8:34 PM, order#10248 said:

I now have Ubuntu Touch via "Slot A" and LineageOS 18.1 via "Slot B".

So glad to see this is possible. I have been trying to set this up for the past few hours and Ubuntu and lineage keep overwriting each other. I am doing the

fastboot set_active a & b 

during setup but I think the stock recoveries are overriding it.

Would you mind doing a quick writ up of the process so others can replicate?

Cheers,

Today I found over at Twitter twitter.com/lukapanio/status/1385479765445025792 :

"Nice thing, but soon (some 3 month) ABM for pro 1/x will be avalible 🙂 you will have nicy boot menu, and unlimited number if OSes"

ABM seemingly stands for Android Boot Manager and it is posted by the one who has started the thread at xda forum I linked here in last December.

The suggested release time comes together with the time the new Pro1 X should become available.
I love the idea to boot into Maemo Leste on the Pro1 (X) every now and then (additionally to UT and LOS like now).
We will hopefully see how that will work out in practice ...

Cheers, order#10148

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1